78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

I was just outside having a smoke and drinking my coffee thinking about the paper route when I was 12 yrs old. I had two 22 floor apartments and a bunch of houses I did every day. I delivered the Toronto Telegram and did 260 papers a day. On Saturdays I would get my sister to help out and cant remember if I paid her or not lol

Apartments? Fuck you’d be killing it.  Ride the elevator and drop a paper every 15-20 feet. Did you get a buck a paper per month for that?  That would have been an awesome hourly wage. 

10 - 13. Worked on my buddies Christmas tree farm.  

14-16. Working at nursery. 

16- ?       auto body 

my Dad  :     you are 13 you need to get off your ass & get a job!!!!!!   😂

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

10 - 13. Worked on my buddies Christmas tree farm.  

14-16. Working at nursery. 

16- ?       auto body 

my Dad  :     you are 13 you need to get off your ass & get a job!!!!!!   😂

I started my electrical apprenticeship at 15....although didnt officially get signed up till my 18th birthday.

35 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I am a person who can see the Fed govenment has become a over bloted all encompassing power hungry pile of shit .

I would be 100% ok with a 80% reduction of Fed govenment 

Like I said, you have no concept what what goes on. 

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

I started my electrical apprenticeship at 15....although didnt officially get signed up till my 18th birthday.

What year was that?  Do you remember what you go paid?

Early 80’s I knew people making 12-20 bucks an hour as students.  Parents had to be employees but it was sweet money. 

Edited by revkevsdi

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

I started at 6.50/hr....i initially started working for the business 2 yrs earlier as a labourer for 4/hr

I started my apprenticeship in 84

When almost 80% of your population has little to no savings, it's probably not something that can be blamed on individuals like is being done right now.

I'd hazard a guess that there's something systemic going on here...

7 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

You got a buck a month/paper in the 60’s. I got the same in the 70’s. I bet it’s the same now. 

I cant remember what it paid but remember it was pretty good for a kid and didn't need an allowance

4 minutes ago, DAVE said:

:bc:

Haven’t had a young kid come in years,  looking to learn business.  I started sweeping floor &. Taking out trash. 

I started at 6.50/hr....i initially started working for the business 2 yrs earlier as a labourer for 4/hr

I started my apprenticeship in 84

That has probably kept pace. Would they get 20 per hour now?

7 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Early 80’s I knew people making 12-20 bucks an hour as students.  Parents had to be employees but it was sweet money. 

Nice edit....funny you say that...the factory i initially ended up at hired students making 16.90 and that was in 93.

I call bs 

17 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Apartments? Fuck you’d be killing it.  Ride the elevator and drop a paper every 15-20 feet. Did you get a buck a paper per month for that?  That would have been an awesome hourly wage. 

Yah that would have been sweet.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

So buck per month/paper. 

yep, Put gas in my minibike and some junk food. I also sold candy in school.Would buy it at a store along route and sell it for double the price in school the next day.

5 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Haven’t had a young kid come in years,  looking to learn business.  I started sweeping floor &. Taking out trash. 

The guy i started with was my dads friend...it was just a summer gig at first....then his son finished his apprenticeship so I figured what the hell I guess.

Nice edit....funny you say that...the factory i initially ended up at hired students making 16.90 and that was in 93.

I call bs 

Car parts. Steel mills. And other big union shops.  It was a perk for the employees kids. Don’t you remember all those teenagers driving 3-4 year old cars to college and university? Well over half the kids in the 80’s that I knew had cars at school. I thought Apprentices use to get paid lower than average. I always thought it was a way to weed them out. Tool and die shop next door  use to lose a lot of second year people because they could get an extra buck an hour running a forklift. He figured if they couldn’t lose now to gain in a year they were too stupid for the job. 

In looking back and thinking what if I had done something differently there's only one thing I would change and that was my calling that I missed taking advantage of from the age of 16. I wont disclose what that was but it was a great part of my life and doubt i would ever have to ever had to get a fkn job. Somebody build a time machine and send me back lol

8 minutes ago, DAVE said:

The guy i started with was my dads friend...it was just a summer gig at first....then his son finished his apprenticeship so I figured what the hell I guess.

Talking about this last night with some friends.    Everyone petty much took “temporary” jobs to support new family.   Before you know it 25 years gone by and you’re still doing it.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
57 minutes ago, Cold War said:

i thought my brother was the biggest baller when he had his route.  Had the little change thingy on his belt.  

Lol....I had one of those.....ahh the memories :lol:

th-1.jpeg

• Haha 2