Found my dad’s sled. Question on restoration.

I recently discovered a sled that my dad bought new in 1973. It’s a 1973 Panther VIP. The sled is kind of unique. It’s a chocolate brown color with a 440 Kawasaki motor. The motor runs through a hydraulic torque converter instead of a belt drive. It’s definitely his sled as the numbers match. It’s in poor to fair condition, but complete. The sled is mine, all that I have to do is pick it up. Are vintage parts still available for these older cats? If so, where? I’ve been out of this for awhile. I’d like to do a complete restoration back to concourse condition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I recently discovered a sled that my dad bought new in 1973. It’s a 1973 Panther VIP. The sled is kind of unique. It’s a chocolate brown color with a 440 Kawasaki motor. The motor runs through a hydraulic torque converter instead of a belt drive. It’s definitely his sled as the numbers match. It’s in poor to fair condition, but complete. The sled is mine, all that I have to do is pick it up. Are vintage parts still available for these older cats? If so, where? I’ve been out of this for awhile. I’d like to do a complete restoration back to concourse condition. 

Those are worth some decent bucks if the transmission is operating properly.  Pretty rare.

29 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Everything works. It just rough. Needs some expert tutelage and tlc.  

Bring it up here. I like working on old things and bringing them back to mint or close to mint as I can.

HPIM0325 (Large).JPG

HPIM0330 (Large).JPG

HPIM0363 (Large).JPG

HPIM0385 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0999.JPG

HPIM1002 (Large).JPG

HPIM1004.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Cat o matic auto trans....I remember when it came out. Expensive sled!

some info....

https://snowgoer.com/snowmobile-features/the-1974-arctic-cat-panther-vip/

http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/PP1362_2.html

http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/PP1362_3.html

07CD840D-826D-4005-ABAE-8B134DC098F3.jpeg

6F157E6B-1D36-4FDF-9FCB-D9F31BA6FD61.jpeg

Edited by Mainecat

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Rare, but junk. But neat 

9 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Google is your friend, as is E-Bay,  Craigslist, etc. Alpha Sports is good for looking up OEM part numbers.

https://alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Could be the last year for Waconia. :(

you ever been out to the sheep shed? it is the so called barn of the guys who put it on and southwest trails have there meetings there . pretty cool place 

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Never heard of it.  

like I said it is the HQ of the wacconia vintage show and meating place for south west trails.  also open some times during season for stoping in for a drink if door is open good to go In .

on goose lake auto property same people again .

lots of cool vintage shit outt there 

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

like I said it is the HQ of the wacconia vintage show and meating place for south west trails.  also open some times during season for stoping in for a drink if door is open good to go In .

on goose lake auto property same people again .

lots of cool vintage shit outt there 

I'll have to check it out when I'm more back on my feet.