So I wasn't born an Afghani - Liberal MP

ArcticCrusher

Some more cheerleading from the weekly Peterborough This Week:

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/6945415-monsef-reflects-on-first-year-as-peterborough-s-mp-and-canada-s-minister-of-democratic-institutions/

Every day is an adventure, she says, and while the day-to-day life of an MP can be challenging, Minister Monsef says the biggest struggle has been adjusting to life outside of Peterborough.

“The hardest part of the job for me is that I get homesick,” she says.

“I used to spend a lot of time downtown (Peterborough), I went to farmers markets…Now I’m here (in Ottawa).”

Suck it up princess!

In a release issued Friday (Nov. 4), Minister Monsef noted some of her government's accomplishments since last year's election.

The release listed the following:

·         Introduction of the new Canada Child Benefit, a simpler, tax-free and more generous benefit for families;
·         A $270 million investment in improvements to the infrastructure of the Trent-Severn Waterway;
·         A 7% tax-cut for middle income earners, to support the middle class and those seeking to join it;
·         More than $1.7 million invested in local arts, culture and heritage;
·         Restoring the retirement age to 65 from 67, boosting the Guaranteed Income Supplement for low-income single seniors by 10%, and negotiating a significant enhancement to the Canada Pension Plan;
·         Doubling of positions funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program, with 292 students employed during summer 2016 by 118 organizations in the public, private and non-profit sectors;
·         A $4.87 million investment in Flying Colours Corp. to expand their facility at the Peterborough Airport and create new jobs;
·         Increased funding available to low and middle-income Post-Secondary students through the Canada Students Grants program;
·         A $7 million investment in Trent University to create the Bata Research and Innovation Cluster, which will enhance and foster student entrepreneurship, new businesses, and research on aging and the environment.

Furthermore, Minister Monsef's release cited local constituency work:

·         More than 600 constituents assisted with case files including issues related to citizenship and immigration, the Canada Revenue Agency, employment insurance and student loans, etc.;
·         Addressed a weekly average of 130 phone calls, 40 walk-in visitors, 1000 emails and 25 hard-copy letters;
·         Hosted 10 local Town Hall meetings and a Peterborough-Kawartha Job Summit;
·         Established two standing policy committees, (Economic and Job Development, and Social, Cultural and Arts Development), to provide advice on federal issues important to Peterborough-Kawartha
·         Participated in nearly 100 community events;
·         Met directly with over 130 constituents and engaged over 1300 constituents through Town Hall meetings.

In other words she has accomplished next to dick all in the riding. One of the community events she refers to was appearing at the RCMP Musical Ride's show in Apsley on the Labour Day weekend. Don't worry I was out of the country then.

She should be well aware of the social ills confronting the city since her constituency office is located on one of the sketchiest streets in downtown.

Her Job Summit in the riding was described as a tea and crumpet party. Apparently it was mainly her supporters sitting around making suggestions. I don't think there were any business leaders that could have an impact on the local economy.

Edited by revrnd

Two tier justice.... one for the common hard working people and one for the Truedope chosen. After all it is 2016. Sunny ways! If Foster Brooks lets Monsef stay it will set a precedence for all other citizenship cases, or at least it should but probably won't.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Election reform is all of a sudden an issue, but was never mentioned once in the past decade :dunno:

But didn't your hero say that 2015 election would be the last using FPTP?

Just now, revrnd said:

But didn't your hero say that 2015 election would be the last using FPTP?

I didn't care then and care even less today...... So you are for Justin on this? something tells me you are not but will complain about it anyway because you are being told to.

Tell me do you think we should change the Election process?

29 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Amateur hour. :lol:

That's what you get when you pick a "gender neutral" cabinet.

Monsef would struggle to keep track of the office supplies the Liberals use. Contract work & three years as an "Administrative Assistant" @ Trent. No experience in gov't even @ the municipal level.

I don't think the system should be changed, period. Why should a party that gets "X"% of the popular vote, but doesn't win a single seat, get "X"% of the seats in the house? Do we need more whackjobs like Elizabeth May in the house?

IMO it's just an extension of the "Everyone gets a ribbon" mentality.

Edited by revrnd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Trail if you think I have a hate on her because she's female, that's not the case. Foster Brooks AKA Minister of Immigration McCallum is unfit for his job too.

You don't hate her,  you just realize she is useless,  just like the PM. 

Does the crypt keeper know what year it is? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I don't think the system should be changed, period. Why should a party that gets "X"% of the popular vote, but doesn't win a single seat, get "X"% of the seats in the house? Do we need more whackjobs like Elizabeth May in the house?

IMO it's just an extension of the "Everyone gets a ribbon" mentality.

so now you are glad the Libs back off :dunno: 

8 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Trail if you think I have a hate on her because she's female, that's not the case. Foster Brooks AKA Minister of Immigration McCallum is unfit for his job too.

never even crossed my mind, I think its more about your hate for window washers :lol:

No really its because its liberal as you hate everything no matter what, Past the Post is a prime example

Yes, but I bet there are people that are despondent that more than likely this whole exercise will be swept under the rug & Monsef will be shuffled out of Cabinet. The talking heads in the video can't see why this is so important when all it has caused them is grief & as Ibbotson said, 99% of the electorate couldn't care less about.

If she can't handle this file, while is about all this Ministry is concerned w/, I doubt there are any other ministries she'd be capable of handling.

How many female MPs were left out of the Cabinet to pick from for her replacement? Do transgendered (M>F)  MPs count?

Got my post card in the mail today. Just like everything else concerning the electoral reform, it's a waste of money. I thought it would be a method for Canadians to voice their thought on the matter that don't have internet access. All it tells me is that I can have my say @ www.MyDemocracy.ca or use a Twitter or Facebook page.

No space for comments (how archaic). So I added my own & it will be going back in the mail.20161207_125000 Monsef Card 1.jpg20161207_125009 Monsef Card 2.jpg

I went part way through the online survey. Just the first section had 20 questions and many of the questions are repeated multiple times just worded differently. Reminds me a lot of behavioural interviewing where you ask a job candidate the same question multiple ways during the process to check for consistency. This isn't a job interview though. It's just plain BS.

Ensuring that more individuals are elected from groups that are currently underrepresented in Parliament should be a top priority.

If someone can't get elected on their own merits they don't deserve to be there. "Ensuring that" smacks of the stupidity that cabinet has to be 50% women just because it's 2016. Not because of their qualification.

A ballot should be easy to understand, even if it means voters have fewer options to express their preferences.

If you can't understand a ballot today then you're too stupid to be voting. Mark the candidate of your choice. How much simpler do you want.

Which would you prefer?

A government where one party governs and can make decisions on its own OR a government where several parties have to collectively agree before a decision is made?

A very ambiguous question without the option to qualify your response. If it is a majority government it becomes one party in a minority government it has to be much more collaborative. Either way it is representative of the electorate.

Which would you prefer?

One party governs and is solely accountable for policy outcomes OR several parties must cooperate to govern and they share accountability for policy outcomes?

Once again it is relevant to there being a majority or a minority government. Just one of the examples of asking the same question multiple ways.

Which best describes your views?

Ballots should be as simple as possible so that everybody understands how to vote OR ballots should allow everybody to express their preferences in detail?

Another one of the questions asked multiple times... simplicity of the ballot. Anybody here unable to understand the ballots?

Canadians should have the option to cast their ballots online in federal elections, even if the security or privacy of online voting cannot be guaranteed OR Canadians should continue to vote using paper ballots at a polling station, even if it is less accessible for some voters?

This is another one of the questions being asked multiple times multiple ways. You just know they are fishing for the response they want. Someone answers the same question 2 out of 4 times the way Monsef wants because of the vague ambiguity in some of the wording and she will go with the solution she wants to hear.

Voting in federal elections is an obligation OR voting in federal elections is a choice?

Another one asked multiple times multiple ways... should people be fined for not voting, should people be required to vote etc.

Bottom line a lopsided survey designed to give the answers Monsef and Truedope want.

Looking on the bright side ( sunny ways you know ) , the more the local electorate get to see the window washer in action the less likely she will get re-elected. She just steps in in it every time she opens her trap . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

Looking on the bright side ( sunny ways you know ) , the more the local electorate get to see the window washer in action the less likely she will get re-elected. She just steps in in it every time she opens her trap . 

The sad part is that the young puppies who have just reached voting age and slightly beyond will likely think she is brilliant. Likely most of those will not even be paying attention to anything political until the next election where it will once again be in your face and can't be missed.

The low info & young voters bought into the whole "sunny ways" BS. Apparently turnout amongst the 18-25 year old demographic was the highest recorded. I imagine the legalisation of pot probably contributed to that. That and the ABC movement blinded them to her inexperience/naivete.

I doubt any of them saw a problem w/ his "budgets balance themselves" comment since that wouldn't be on their radar.

A lot of Liberal supporters in the riding were quite pleased to see Del Mastro's downfall. Well they reap what they sow & as a result the riding is saddled w/ a useless MP who is becoming an albatross to the PM. 

Del Mastro was trying to get passenger service reinstated to Peterborough w/ little or no assistance from the riding's MPP. Leal is more or less 1 of Mcguinty/Wynne's trained seals. I've never heard him respond to ANYTHING w/o reading something prepared in Queens Park.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2016/12/08/as-privacy-criticism-mounts-peterborough-kawartha-mp-maryam-monsef-defends-online-electoral-reform-survey-and-says-shes-proud-of-canadians-who-take-it

Maybe she should've stuck to washing windows?

The local media has said very little about the beleaguered MP. CHEX just replays segments from CTV or Global. Their own reporters haven't questioned her on any of her issues. 

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2016/12/08/as-privacy-criticism-mounts-peterborough-kawartha-mp-maryam-monsef-defends-online-electoral-reform-survey-and-says-shes-proud-of-canadians-who-take-it

Maybe she should've stuck to washing windows?

The local media has said very little about the beleaguered MP. CHEX just replays segments from CTV or Global. Their own reporters haven't questioned her on any of her issues. 

Don't think she could have supported 7 well paid emplyees on 20k income,  but then again. 

• 1 month later...

Reports on the news that the Shiny Pony is shuffling 6 ministers. Our favourite MP from Peterborough is mentioned as 1 of them. I wonder if she'll be shuffled off to the kids' table & another inexperienced woman promoted to Cabinet? Or will she just be moved to a portfolio where her skills (or lack of) will be better suited?

It will be interesting if the Cabinet is still "gender neutral" after this.

• 2 weeks later...