Hopefully he fires the FED chair

f7ben

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Dude is shit ....no inflation yet raising rates in the face of a slowing economy

Yep. A bit of overkill.  Yellen was a retard too.

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Could this be moronic? I dunno.

Do you even know what this thread is about?  Just sit there and smell funny.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Yep. A bit of overkill.  Yellen was a retard too.

Do you even know what this thread is about?  Just sit there and smell funny.

Ben your lure was successful. Your daily bag limit caught a sack.

The FED is sacrificing growth for insurance. Do we need the rate hikes? No, but at the end of an economic cycle, they will be useful when the bottom drops out and we are in a recession. I’m not a fan, but it’s not a horrible call. Unemployment still at near all time lows, growth still above 3%, consumer demand is still high. All those could be higher without the rate hikes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The FED is sacrificing growth for insurance. Do we need the rate hikes? No, but at the end of an economic cycle, they will be useful when the bottom drops out and we are in a recession. I’m not a fan, but it’s not a horrible call. Unemployment still at near all time lows, growth still above 3%, consumer demand is still high. All those could be higher without the rate hikes. 

It’ll give the fed a few more bullets when the economy tanks. Good to see that there’s still a few adults at the top. 

14 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Rates need to keep going up.  They were kept way too low for way too long.

This , my parents back in the 70’s could get saving account that pays out 8.5% annually nowdays ? Be lucky to see 1.5% and that’s usually $50,000+ or higher requirements 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I hope he does to. The turmoil it’ll send through the markets will be soooo fun to watch. Sitting on the sidelines with a secure retirement gives me an entirely different outlook on things. 

Translation: IDGAF. 

Yeah you're a real peach....I hope Lance ass fucks you to death.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

This , my parents back in the 70’s could get saving account that pays out 8.5% annually nowdays ? Be lucky to see 1.5% and that’s usually $50,000+ or higher requirements 

Exactly.  We don't need to go back to 20% mortgage rates but the 2.75% we have now is stupid low.

My savings is at 2.23% right now.  No minimum, accounts up to $50k.  You won't find that with the big banks though.

15 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

This, it''s all we will have when the next recession hits, thanks to the assholes who cut taxes and increased the nations debt during what was an already strong economy.

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

This, it''s all we will have when the next recession hits, thanks to the assholes who cut taxes and increased the nations debt during what was an already strong economy.

How do they decide what neutral is for rates though? 

The FED does have a mandate....its to control inflation. 

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

How do they decide what neutral is for rates though? 

The FED does have a mandate....its to control inflation. 

Average over time has been at 5% with fluctuations. We are at 2.5%. Hardly inflating them. You did bitch about Obama keeping rates too low. Now Trump is bitching about rates being too high when they aren’t. 

The problem is pretty simple. 90% of people don’t understand that rising rates is a show of confidence in the economy. You should be charged more for borrowing becuase times are good enough to warrant it. And the fact the stock market dips when rates go up is pretty simple to understand. 

And they have all kinds of fancy nerds and economists to determine neutral, but it’s pretty much guess and check.

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

10 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Average over time has been at 5% with fluctuations. We are at 2.5%. Hardly inflating them. You did bitch about Obama keeping rates too low. Now Trump is bitching about rates being too high when they aren’t. 

The problem is pretty simple. 90% of people don’t understand that rising rates is a show of confidence in the economy. You should be charged more for borrowing becuase times are good enough to warrant it. And the fact the stock market dips when rates go up is pretty simple to understand. 

And they have all kinds of fancy nerds and economists to determine neutral, but it’s pretty much guess and check.

Right....guess and check. You raise rates to control inflation. If you are seeing no rise in inflation what is the motivation for raising rates 4 or 5 or 6 times in a year?

53 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

I just told you. Insurance.

That is not part of their mandate. That is subjective at best and far too open to partisanship , abuse of policy and politics

Edited by f7ben

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

That is not part of their mandate. That is subjective at best and far too open to partisanship , abuse of policy and politics

Their mandate is to prevent inflation AND deflation. The execution of that has some gray area. Preventing future economic extremes prevents both inflation or deflation on the other end. I don’t like the FED, don’t like the premise of them, but they aren’t exactly working outside their purposefully broad directive IMO. 

Again, I will say historic rates sit at 5%. We’ve kept them so low for so long thanks to QE, that in order to get back to 5% from 2.5% will take the articifial raising of rates not in conjunction with inflation. They will be done in order to prevent a seasaw effect when we do hit a recession in essence saying they are working in their mandate. 

It is very subjective and very political. 100% agree.

5 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

What rate are you talking about? The average savings account rate, mortgage rate or prime?

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

What rate are you talking about? The average savings account rate, mortgage rate or prime?

The only rates the FED set are the funds rate and discount rate (which doesn’t effect you directly as it deals with banks borrowing from the FED). The FED does not control the Prime rate... Honestly, if you don’t understand what the FED does, should you even be chirping in here? These are basics. You wouldn’t try to talk about calculus if you couldn’t do basic addition...

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

5 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

The only rates the FED set are the funds rate and discount rate (which doesn’t effect you directly as it deals with banks borrowing from the FED). The FED does not control the Prime rate... Honestly, if you don’t understand what the FED does, should you even be chirping in here? These are basics. You wouldn’t try to talk about calculus if you couldn’t do basic addition...

Read the thread Mr. Dow 30,000 by the end of the year.  They are talking about savings account rates.