The Bet

f7ben

16 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Ugggh , here I thought you had it. Take an old clutch belt and put nails in it every inch or so. Then compresss it a bit, put a mark on the side of the belt, and move it down a bench. If you still can’t see what is going on, repeat it with the nails out. The track will go the same distance each time.

It would be easier to do it first, without the nails. :ashamed:

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Had I known this would still be a current event I would have made a video. But then again neal and viper would be arguing there could be a .00001” difference on the bench and couldn’t be seen with the human eye. 

Yeah well they're dum

7 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

That's exactly what I was saying...the larger diameter track with the longer lugs will rotate further than the 1 inch lug when the TRACK has rotated 1 full turn if marked from the outside. The secondary will have to turn slightly more on the 3 inch lug vs the 1 inch lug to complete the full 1 turn of track.

Yet there are still some saying thats incorrect. 

Its a continuous loop much like a tire....doesn't  matter if its round or elongated. ....the larger diameter goes further on 1 full rotation.....sheesh

Dead wrong. Take a 144" track with 1" lugs and another with 3" lugs. Now cut them in half and lay them out on the floor... which one is longer?

A track spinning around two axis is not even remotely like a tire which is spinning on one axis. That is where you are getting confused. Along with several others...

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 hours ago, Highmark said:

:lol: So how exactly is this calculated?   What's the allowable tolerance if tested real world?

Watch this video and ask yourself what is moving, the track or the skid inside the track?   On a wheel the contact surface is always moving/rolling.   On a track (without spin) it is not.  Where the track is in contact with the ground it is stationary.  The track is the ground so its outer length makes no difference what so ever.   I really don't know what to tell you if you cannot see that in the video.  

https://www.videoblocks.com/video/cold-milling-machine-slow-movement-of-tracked-vehicle-city-roads-need-reconstruction-building-company-bought-new-equipment-rtfelb1fkliz71biwr

1 hour ago, jammin said:

No   :bc: 

8 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

That's exactly what I was saying...the larger diameter track with the longer lugs will rotate further than the 1 inch lug when the TRACK has rotated 1 full turn if marked from the outside. The secondary will have to turn slightly more on the 3 inch lug vs the 1 inch lug to complete the full 1 turn of track.

Yet there are still some saying thats incorrect. 

Its a continuous loop much like a tire....doesn't  matter if its round or elongated. ....the larger diameter goes further on 1 full rotation.....sheesh

Simply watch the video.   With a wheel the movement of the ground and wheel being seperate is obvious.  The track isn't moving separate from the ground....it is the ground.   Only the driver pitch matters.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Simply watch the video.   With a wheel the movement of the ground and wheel being seperate is obvious.  The track isn't moving separate from the ground....it is the ground.   Only the driver pitch matters.  

Exactly correct.

3 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Exactly correct.

Considering the track isn't "moving across the ground" how can its circumference matter?

This video makes its so blatantly obvious if anyone struggling with this can't watch it and see the light then they are incapable of understanding the concept to begin with.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Considering the track isn't "moving across the ground" how can its circumference matter?

This video makes its so blatantly obvious if anyone struggling with this can't watch it and see the light then they are incapable of understanding the concept to begin with.  

Some people just aren't good with visualization and physics

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

Ugggh , here I thought you had it. Take an old clutch belt and put nails in it every inch or so. Then compresss it a bit, put a mark on the side of the belt, and move it down a bench. If you still can’t see what is going on, repeat it with the nails out. The track will go the same distance each time.

Slinger....it depends where your measuring it from.

In your example if you were to measure where the outside of the nail touches the surface and rotate that completely around until that same nail touches the surface again,  it would be traveling much further than the belt without nails in it. If you're merely marking the inside of the belt and turning it one revolution ...I think you are correct there would be no change in distance.

I just did a very scientific experiment with two rolls of toilet paper LOL.

I used one full roll of paper and the other was half-used from a major dump I did. I marked the outside of both rolls and slowly rolled them until the mark had made 1 revolution. The larger diameter roll traveled much further. The smaller roll had to go much further than 1 revolution to match the distance.

It's so easy to understand and that was the only point I was ever making

54 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Dead wrong. Take a 144" track with 1" lugs and another with 3" lugs. Now cut them in half and lay them out on the floor... which one is longer?

A track spinning around two axis is not even remotely like a tire which is spinning on one axis. That is where you are getting confused. Along with several others...

No that's wrong take a higher profile tire from the same size rim cut them in half laid out would be the same distance but when turning the higher-profile tire will go further

Just now, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

In your example if you were to measure where the outside of the nail touches the surface and rotate that completely around until that same nail touches the surface again,  it would be traveling much further than the belt without nails in it. If you're merely marking the inside of the belt and turning it one revolution ...I think you are correct there would be no change in distance.

I used one full roll of paper and the other was half-used from a major dump I did. I marked the outside of both rolls and slowly rolled them until the mark had made 1 revolution. The larger diameter roll traveled much further. The smaller roll had to go much further than 1 revolution to match the distance.

No that's wrong take a higher profile tire from the same size rim cut them in half laid out would be the same distance but when turning the higher-profile tire will go further

omg

8 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

if i get bored and have time this weekend, i'm going to make a video of this, showing every detail. 

32 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Lmao.

29 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

You are correct about a tire. Which spins around a single axis. A snowmobile track is suspended between two axes. Completely different. 

The track is the trail... It has no effect on gear ratio. If it did, the thickness of the earth's crust would as well....  

22 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

Shut up, " SITE TEEN-FAG " !! LMAO!! You're the site school faggot!! 

How many cocks did you suck at recess today?   

Listen to the homo