Check your account email address ×

Opinions on carbides please

7 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

1/8-1/4” toe out.  6” shapers for all around use with enough preload in rear to give enough ski pressure in front.  Bergstroms are the best but are speedy and take a while to order.  Imo.

This.....also ski shimming makes a huge difference if it's out of whack 

12 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

1/8-1/4” toe out.  6” shapers for all around use with enough preload in rear to give enough ski pressure in front.  Bergstroms are the best but are speedy and take a while to order.  Imo.

I like absolute minimal toe out and shim the ski. Shapers perform the best but wear the worst Imo. Bergstrom wear like iron. 

45 minutes ago, f7ben said:

1/8th to 1/4 is perfect

I was playing with mine a little bit yesterday and the skis were pushing a bit l, and the ride in sag was too much.  Preloaded the springs to the middle and immediately felt better and the steering got better.  I had Monster revalve my shock for a little less high compression, and after those adjustments it felt perfect.  

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Hey GS.....do you have darting problems? I hate all dually carbides. They bandaid other issues. A 6" shaper is plenty for your sled and can be dialed in well if there are no other issues 

This.

Not a famn of dual carbides.

Shaper bars from Studboy or Ace bars from Woody's for me.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 12/15/2018 at 7:36 AM, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well look what the cat drug in..how's it hanging GS?

Is your TC studded...either way I don't think,those carbides are too much for your sled.

This

2 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

From what I read as of late, I'm no expert here, 6" seems to be the magic number for unstudded. 6+ are for studded.

I'd agree with that.  Trying out shaper bars on my sled this year :bc: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

From what I read as of late, I'm no expert here, 6" seems to be the magic number for unstudded. 6+ are for studded.

Totally depends how you have the sled set up and what you prefer.

I run a shit ton of long studs in my tracks and I like 6" shaper bars. I'd prefer a little bit of push and light steering effort

17 minutes ago, Roosting said:

what is this ski shim thingy?

Take a look at how your carbides are wearing. Most will wear in the front first because there is too much weight there. You place a shim under the rear of the spindle rubber to balance it out. It helps with darting and provides a good consistent feel in the steering

Hmm

never heard of this. I was thinking you were shimming the carbide

My skis don't have that issue. just the rear tip drags on the ground under power. LoL

I need to shorten the front limiter one hole and it should be a trail carving weapon. right now a 200 foot wide river is too narrow to make a corner under any power.

13 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Hmm

never heard of this. I was thinking you were shimming the carbide

My skis don't have that issue. just the rear tip drags on the ground under power. LoL

I need to shorten the front limiter one hole and it should be a trail carving weapon. right now a 200 foot wide river is too narrow to make a corner under any power.

What sled?