GM dealer must install headlights?

irv

Maybe this isn't new but I found it strange, when I inquired about some new headlights for my son's 2008 Chevy Malibu, that if I purchased the headlights, part of the deal was I would have to pay GM to install them. crzy

The lights were around $200 hundred a piece with the GM discount but he said he wouldn't sell them to me unless I agreed to have the GM dealership install them for me.
I know, from trying to do the headlights myself, it is a PITA as the whole front grille/bumper of the car has to come off in order to get at them so I know GM will likely charge me at least an hour, maybe more, in order to do them. I believe the shop rate is around $110 to $120 and hour, maybe more?

And GM wonders why people aren't purchasing their cars like they use to!

Anyone else ever heard this before? It's a new one for me. shocked

39 minutes ago, irv said:

Maybe this isn't new but I found it strange, when I inquired about some new headlights for my son's 2008 Chevy Malibu, that if I purchased the headlights, part of the deal was I would have to pay GM to install them. crzy

The lights were around $200 hundred a piece with the GM discount but he said he wouldn't sell them to me unless I agreed to have the GM dealership install them for me.
I know, from trying to do the headlights myself, it is a PITA as the whole front grille/bumper of the car has to come off in order to get at them so I know GM will likely charge me at least an hour, maybe more, in order to do them. I believe the shop rate is around $110 to $120 and hour, maybe more?

And GM wonders why people aren't purchasing their cars like they use to!

Anyone else ever heard this before? It's a new one for me. shocked

Seems odd they would have to install them.  We ordered new lights for the Wrangler and Challenger, son installed them.

6 minutes ago, revkev6 said:

are you replacing the entire assembly or just a bulb??doesn't look that hard?? only have to pull part of the bumper cover to get at the bolts for the assembly. very dumb way to build a car though.

The whole assembly, not just the bulb, and I have replaced bulbs and tried to fix the fogging myself twice now so you are correct, the whole front fascia/grill needs to come off in order to get at them. As I have never heard this before, that the dealer "must" install them, I am curious if it is just this dealership or is this the norm from all dealerships? It looked like the guy was reading that info directly from the GM website but I could be wrong? I was only asking about prices as I was there purchasing a steering shaft for my son's 08 Chevy Malibu. I don't plan on purchasing new ones, I was just curious what the price of them was. 

WP_20180926_19_45_05_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180906_15_40_58_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180906_15_41_03_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_19_45_17_Pro (2).jpg

17 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

You can buy those on-line.

Any idea where to look? I am not having much luck finding any at the wreckers, and even if I did, who's to say I won't run into the same fogging/condensation problems? That is what I am afraid of. 

17 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

I call bullshit.

Me too! I couldn't believe it when the guy told me but it looked like he was reading that right from a GM website? IIRC, I think he said the lights would be over $500 each if I chose to do them myself but since I was still in shock/confused, I might not have heard him correctly? I also thought he said they would not sell them to me unless I agreed to have them install them? Time to phone around to some other dealers to see if this is the norm? 

Edited by irv

At GM Parts Online.net, we carry a large selection of replacement factory Chevrolet parts and accessories. When you buy here, you get wholesale pricing to help ...

You've found Chevy OEM replacement parts at 1AAuto.com. ... You can shop for all of your Chevycar, truck, van, and SUV parts online and buy safely and ...

Welcome to Chevrolet Online Parts, a top online provider for Chevrolet parts and Chevrolet OEM parts. We guarantee the best quality parts at the best price.
About Us · ‎Order Status · ‎Contact Us

Buy high-quality Chevy parts online at low prices with Parts Geek! We offer fast shipping and a wide selection of Chevy OEM parts and aftermarket components.

Rating: 4.7 - ‎1,001 reviews
Shop Chevrolet parts online with Wholesale GM Parts Online in, . Genuine Chevrolet parts,factory direct to your door.

Buy GM OEM parts online, direct from GM. OEM GM parts diagrams, fast shipping and expert support!

Genuine GM Replacement parts in stock and ready to ship at discount prices. Shop our GM OEM parts warehouse today.

The Chevrolet parts and accessories you need online at the Auto Parts Warehouse catalog. Get up to 70% off on retail prices! Free Shipping on orders over $50.

DRESS UP FOR THE HOLIDAYS Get 20% below MSRP on Wheels, Assist Steps, Tonneau Covers and Performance parts1 Get 10% below MSRP on Floor ...

Buy products related to oem chevrolet parts and see what customers say about oem chevrolet parts on Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible ...

Page Navigation

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

8 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

It is not unless you are getting them under warranty or extended special policy.

Didn't think so but I'll phone around just to verify that.

4 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Thanks XCR. I'll check those out but I bet shipping will kill me if I can't find those in Canada? 

Save a lot of your money by acquiring premium quality yet low priced Chevrolet here at Canada Parts Online! Now you can enjoy your online shopping without ...

Buy OEM Parts in Canada. Auto Parts WAY Canada stocks the largest selection of OEM parts in canada.

Rating: 4.7 - ‎3 reviews
From British Columbia to Nunavut to Quebec, browse our online Chevrolet parts catalog to save onChevrolet OEM parts and accessories across Canada.

DRESS UP FOR THE HOLIDAYS Get 20% below MSRP on Wheels, Assist Steps, Tonneau Covers and Performance parts1 Get 10% below MSRP on Floor ...

GMPartsOnline.net offers a HUGE selection of Genuine GM Parts at Wholesale Prices. We are a GM ... The Best Place To Buy OEM GM Parts Online! OEM GM ...

Shop Genuine GM Parts for the entire General Motors brand family from GM Parts Wholesale Canadain Calgary, AB.

Genuine GM Parts and Chevrolet Parts Online in Ventura, CA 93003| Paradise Chevrolet. Time for to replace the ... Buy quality OEM parts online and save:.

PartsAvatar leads aftermarket automotive online retail shops in Canada with a wide selection of autoparts, body parts, performance accessories & repair tools. ... Body Shop Equipment & Tools. Air Brushes, Knives ..... Aftermarket parts cost much less than OEM parts from car makers such as Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. Often ...

Larry H. Miller Chevrolet in Provo has the right Chevy parts for all your repairs. ... BELOW, PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE AT LHMCHEVYPARTSHQ.
Missing: canada ‎| ‎Must include: ‎canada

Edited by XCR1250

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:
Save a lot of your money by acquiring premium quality yet low priced Chevrolet here at Canada Parts Online! Now you can enjoy your online shopping without ...

Buy OEM Parts in Canada. Auto Parts WAY Canada stocks the largest selection of OEM parts in canada.

Rating: 4.7 - ‎3 reviews
From British Columbia to Nunavut to Quebec, browse our online Chevrolet parts catalog to save onChevrolet OEM parts and accessories across Canada.

GMPartsOnline.net offers a HUGE selection of Genuine GM Parts at Wholesale Prices. We are a GM ... The Best Place To Buy OEM GM Parts Online! OEM GM ...

Shop Genuine GM Parts for the entire General Motors brand family from GM Parts Wholesale Canadain Calgary, AB.

Genuine GM Parts and Chevrolet Parts Online in Ventura, CA 93003| Paradise Chevrolet. Time for to replace the ... Buy quality OEM parts online and save:.

PartsAvatar leads aftermarket automotive online retail shops in Canada with a wide selection of autoparts, body parts, performance accessories & repair tools. ... Body Shop Equipment & Tools. Air Brushes, Knives ..... Aftermarket parts cost much less than OEM parts from car makers such as Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. Often ...

Larry H. Miller Chevrolet in Provo has the right Chevy parts for all your repairs. ... BELOW, PLEASE VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE AT LHMCHEVYPARTSHQ.
Missing: canada ‎| ‎Must include: ‎canada

Perfect! Thank you! :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

I can see this for some parts, its surprises me for headlights.   For example I wouldn't sell a customer that isn't a certified service shop airbag components.   Why risk someone coming back at you.  

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Typical dealer. Trying to fuck you. 

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Sounds illegal unless they install for free 

I just phoned 2 different dealers, one being OMS here in Oshawa, who I can't believe are still in business as they have been crooks for years, and was told $504.00 each! Another dealer, whos says they have a dealio about beating the competition, quoted me at $172 each with no word of me having to have them installed by them. He had one in stock and said he could have the other one tomorrow. Still going to try the wreckers, but thought you might like to know that. 3 different dealers and 3 different prices/scenarios! Shop around people!

Edited by irv

14 minutes ago, irv said:

I just phoned 2 different dealers, one being OMS here in Oshawa, who I can't believe are still in business as they have been crooks for years, and was told $504.00 each! Another dealer, whos says they have a dealio about beating the competition, quoted me at $172 each with no word of me having to have them installed by them. He had one in stock and said he could have the other one tomorrow. Still going to try the wreckers, but thought you might like to know that. 3 different dealers and 3 different prices/scenarios! Shop around people!

I’d go with a used set of lamps myself. I had to get a taillight for the van. $300 from a dealer. Got a used unit for $54. Easy install. The biggest crooks are bmw dealers. Omfg. 

33 minutes ago, irv said:

Rockauto.com  for the win!!!!!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2008,malibu,2.4l+l4,1441621,body,headlamp+assembly,10762

Screenshot_2018-12-11-11-54-11.png