Deadly snowmobile weekend: 3 fatal accidents in Upstate NY

• Platinum Contributing Member
Follow on Twitter

The start of the snowmobiling season in the North Country this past weekend saw three fatal accidents -- two occurring on Friday evening.

Up in Old Forge , it was Snodeo weekend and the trails were filled with riders trying to capitalize on the weekend's sunny weather. The private trails in the greater Old Forge area have been open since Dec. 3. The three deaths are a stark reminder for snowmobilers to pay close attention to trail conditions and the weather before heading out.

24 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Riding there is like running the 600 cc novice class at Loudon. Pretty exiting till one or a few of the imbeciles find a way to get you caught up in the pig pile . I'll stick to western Maine , thank you

Yup.  I bet I saw 4-5 groups riding side by side all in one days, right down the middle of the trail,  last time I road there.  Complete rookie shit.

22 minutes ago, snowblind said:

In New York there are no off trail riding. Get of the trail and you are trespassing 

And largely why I gave up riding in NY.  Registration is another pain in the nuts, just like it is in VT.  In Maine I can walk into Bishops, get my deer weighed, a 30 pack of Mich Ultras, some ammo, a pizza and my sled registration all in one place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snowblind said:

In New York there are no off trail riding. Get of the trail and you are trespassing 

and for good reason, 90%of trails in NY are on private property and going off trail causes trail closures and costly re-routes, stay on trail or stay home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

and for good reason, 90%of trails in NY are on private property and going off trail causes trail closures and costly re-routes, stay on trail or stay home

I was the main landowner contact for my club for 10 years so I know their complaints well. All hours of the night

2 hours ago, snowblind said:

I was the main landowner contact for my club for 10 years so I know their complaints well. All hours of the night

I am the trail capt in my section and have had numerous calls this year due to early riding, trails open here Dec 18

• Platinum Contributing Member

Single sled accidents?  

This one was.   Its called natural selection.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Western-New-York-man-killed-in-snowmobile-accident-in-Inlet-502276351.html

This one was too.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/A--476468723.html

Edited by Highmark

No mention of alcohol which is surprising for the Old Forge area. We used to go there as kids in one weekend we were there three guys died. One of them was staying at the same place we were. It was the wild west back then and I think it still is to some degree.

It calms down a little after snowdeo weekend 

6 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

There was a 4th fatality on Sunday morning as well. I was out riding when it happened but was in a different area. Conditions weren't great, first weekend of the season so everyone's a little rusty, gotta ride within your limits.

7 hours ago, s pump said:

No mention of alcohol which is surprising for the Old Forge area. We used to go there as kids in one weekend we were there three guys died. One of them was staying at the same place we were. It was the wild west back then and I think it still is to some degree.

I remember leaving Totes Teahouse one particularly drunken and disorderly night like 30 years ago in Old Forge.  Legal to ride the roads and closing time at the bar with 100 sleds in the lot.  What could go wrong?   I remember a bud who was so drunk he fell off his sled and it continued on without him until it hit a mail box?  Good times or at least it seemed so at the time.  these days and in all seriousness, it’s not at all funny in light of how many people get killed on these things.  

Edited by DriftBusta