New Mueller filing says Trump’s ex-lawyer Michael Cohen was in touch with a Russian seeking ‘political synergy’ with campaign

The consigliere talked.

New Mueller filing says Trump’s ex-lawyer Michael Cohen was in touch with a Russian seeking ‘political synergy’ with campaign

A Russian national who claimed ties to the Kremlin told President Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, as early as November 2015 that he could use his Russian government connections to help Trump’s business and political prospects.

The new Russia contact was revealed Friday by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, as he outlined cooperation that Cohen has provided the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

The interaction between a top Trump lieutenant and a Russian citizen who claimed government ties is the latest of dozens of similar interactions that have emerged since the November 2016 election. Days after Trump’s victory, his spokeswoman Hope Hicks asserted that there had been no contacts of any kind between Trump associates and Russia.

The new information about Cohen is particularly significant because the contact came in the campaign’s early months and because prosecutors said the Russian national claimed to have interest in helping Trump’s campaign as well as his business.

Prosecutors wrote that around November 2015, “Cohen received the contact information for, and spoke with, a Russian national who claimed to be a ‘trusted person’ in the Russian Federation who could offer the campaign ‘political synergy’ and ‘synergy on a government level.’ ”

They said Cohen told prosecutors that the Russian repeatedly suggested arranging a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump, in part as a way of helping Cohen advance plans to build a Trump real estate project in Moscow.

“The person told Cohen that such a meeting could have a ‘phenomenal’ impact ‘not only in political but in a business dimension as well,’ referring to the Moscow Project, because there is ‘no bigger warranty in any project than consent of [the President of Russia],’ ” prosecutors wrote.

By the time Cohen made contact with the Russian, he had already begun work on a Trump building project in partnership with Felix Sater, a Russian-born Trump business partner. Cohen has pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about details of that project, including a phone call he arranged with a Kremlin official in January 2016 to discuss the project.

Sater, too, suggested arranging a meeting with Putin, and Cohen told prosecutors he did not pursue the Russian’s offer because he decided to work with Sater instead.

The new information underscores both the frequency of offers of support that were extended from Russia to Trump’s top aides during the campaign — and the eagerness with which some of his closest advisers greeted those entrees.

Prosecutors wrote that Cohen was an early advocate of a meeting between candidate Trump and Putin. In a September 2015 radio interview, Cohen suggested that Trump meet with the Russian president while he was in New York to attend the annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly. Prosecutors said that Cohen later claimed the comments were spur of the moment, but he has admitted in recent weeks that he conferred with Trump about reaching out to the Russian government.

The fall 2015 contact came at an important time in the campaign. As Trump’s candidacy was starting to heat up, Putin appeared to grow more interested in his effort. On Dec. 17, 2015, Putin attracted notice by offering praise for the celebrity businessman, calling him “colorful and talented” and the “absolute leader of the presidential race.” Trump returned the compliment the next day, calling Putin “a leader, unlike what we have in this country.”

Mueller’s filing came in advance of Cohen’s sentencing Wednesday for various crimes, including lying to Congress about his Russia contacts. Prosecutors in New York said Cohen should receive substantial jail time, in part because they said he has provided only grudging cooperation to their investigations, which are separate from the Mueller probe.

In a separate filing, however, Mueller said Cohen has “gone to significant lengths” to aid the investigation of Russian involvement in the 2016 election.

Prosecutors said his information had helped explain his interactions with Russian interests, as well as information related to what they called “certain discrete Russia-related matters core” to the investigation that he learned through regular contact with executives of Trump’s business. They said he was also able to provide information about contacts with White House officials after Trump took office and the circumstances that surrounded the preparation of his false testimony to Congress.

rosalind.helderman@washpost.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-mueller-filing-says-trump’s-ex-lawyer-michael-cohen-was-in-touch-with-a-russian-seeking-‘political-synergy’-with-campaign/ar-BBQE91B

On 11/28/2018 at 3:53 PM, Anler said:

It sounds like they are going to release some shit that "alludes" to a premise of guilt but no actual proof of any crimes by Trump. Its pretty clear that the objective is to take down Trump. And like I have said multiple times, I am not the typical Trump ball washer like others on here. If he is guilty let him hang, I am just not seeing it. 

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

So how did Russian help sway the election?

Are you starting to see it?

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Are you starting to see it?

Anar’s head is buried in the sand.....the only evidence he will accept is video footage of Putin himself physically changing the votes. 

4 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Anar’s head is buried in the sand.....the only evidence he will accept is video footage of Putin himself physically changing the votes. 

Prove any of it or stfu ya fucking blow hard 

11 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

He doesn't see anything, yet it's Trump's consigliere who is doing the talking.

Trump glommed on all of this.

Prosecutors wrote that around November 2015, “Cohen received the contact information for, and spoke with, a Russian national who claimed to be a ‘trusted person’ in the Russian Federation who could offer the campaign ‘political synergy’ and ‘synergy on a government level.’ ”

They said Cohen told prosecutors that the Russian repeatedly suggested arranging a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump, in part as a way of helping Cohen advance plans to build a Trump real estate project in Moscow.

“The person told Cohen that such a meeting could have a ‘phenomenal’ impact ‘not only in political but in a business dimension as well,’ referring to the Moscow Project, because there is ‘no bigger warranty in any project than consent of [the President of Russia],’ ” prosecutors wrote.

The fall 2015 contact came at an important time in the campaign. As Trump’s candidacy was starting to heat up, Putin appeared to grow more interested in his effort. On Dec. 17, 2015, Putin attracted notice by offering praise for the celebrity businessman, calling him “colorful and talented” and the “absolute leader of the presidential race.” Trump returned the compliment the next day, calling Putin “a leader, unlike what we have in this country.”

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Prove any of it or stfu ya fucking blow hard 

Cohen was Trump's trusted lawyer, and he was Trump's consigliere and he has told prosecutors there was talks and contacts with the Russians, what part of this do you not understand?

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

Cohen was Trump's trusted lawyer, and he was Trump's consigliere and he has told prosecutors there was talks and contacts with the Russians, what part of this do you not understand?

He doesn’t understand any of it.....like all Dumpers.

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

MSM.. well now that’s it it’s ova. Again prove it or stfu. When trump is indicted get back to me.. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

MSM.. well now that’s it it’s ova. Again prove it or stfu. When trump is indicted get back to me.. 

It's all in the documents filed with the court, how many stupid pills did you take this morning?

If I were you I'd stay with my wife watching Fox News, you won't find a better match for yourself, I guarantee it :thumb:

1 hour ago, Anler said:

So how did Russian help sway the election?

Do you need some help moving those goal posts? 

Seems a strange time when the game looks like it's almost over. 

Multiple people on Trump's team making contact with Russia. All of them lying about it. A promise to ease sanctions.  Anyone with a brain knows they wouldn't be doing it without Trump's guidance. Recent proof that he has lied many times about involvement with Russia. 

Now you want to ask "What did Russia do?"

2 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Do you need some help moving those goal posts? 

Seems a strange time when the game looks like it's almost over. 

Multiple people on Trump's team making contact with Russia. All of them lying about it. A promise to ease sanctions.  Anyone with a brain knows they wouldn't be doing it without Trump's guidance. Recent proof that he has lied many times about involvement with Russia. 

Now you want to ask "What did Russia do?"

Yes. How did they "steal" the election from Hillary? Otherwise I don't see what this is all about. 

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It's all in the documents filed with the court, how many stupid pills did you take this morning?

If I were you I'd stay with my wife watching Fox News, you won't find a better match for yourself, I guarantee it :thumb:

You got him by the balls now Vince. Don’t let go 

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yes. How did they "steal" the election from Hillary? Otherwise I don't see what this is all about. 

So you really don't know or you don't believe Russian bots with targeted ads on social media releasing hacked emails with info on Hillary and not releasing info on Trump had no effect? 

Because there are fewer and fewer people as gullible as you.  Look at the mid terms.  Even with obvious tampering by the Republican's they Democrats kicked ass. 

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

This is an absolute lie and I see the source the Washington post. The contact had zero to do with the election or the campaign. It was a real estate deal that never came to be. 

Serious question.....are you special needs with a clinical diagnosis for extreme stupidity?  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

This is an absolute lie and I see the source the Washington post. The contact had zero to do with the election or the campaign. It was a real estate deal that never came to be. 

Shhhhh you’ll spoil these guys quivering Butthole 

20 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Do you really think you’re qualified to tell truth from lies? I mean, Jesus Christ

• Haha 1