UP Michigan , Grand Marais prepares for busy snowmobile season

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

if you guys think you have it rough try Tug Hill, every Fucker Hibbert wannabe goes up there and fucks thing up

They are up there riding on snow with no base blowing it off the trail. Canada opens trails when they are ready. The lazy dnr opens the trails on December 1st and thats it they are open regardless of the conditions 

3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

They are up there riding on snow with no base blowing it off the trail. Canada opens trails when they are ready. The lazy dnr opens the trails on December 1st and thats it they are open regardless of the conditions 

Holly fuck, are you captain base police? 

3 hours ago, jtssrx said:

A ton of dipshits discovered the UP last year with the lack of snow everywhere else Im hoping lower Michigan and Wisconsin get sniw this year as to many yahoos were in the up ladt year

The UP was discovered 30 years ago by many, the traffic is much smaller than it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

32 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The UP was discovered 30 years ago by many, the traffic is much smaller than it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

If there isn't better snow south it's gonna be a shit show this winter too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

No kidding....it was really packed back then.

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Pretty much spot on. We were going to Hurley, WI to ride the western UP in the mid to late 80's. It was the wild west of snowmobiling.

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

:lol: fucking base police. Nothing in the world is dumber

No shit. Same dudes have their modular helmets at the dinner table on their zambro 20 minute ride to the bar. Bitching about anyone who doesn’t toss up the finger count and come to a complete stop when passing. Peak faggorty. 

7 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

30 years ago by people who road 30 years ago. The 20 somethings who are weekend warriors had yet to find it until last year. 

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

:lol: fucking base police. Nothing in the world is dumber

5 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well consider the source......

Actually this is something @jtssrx is correct about, one of the great differences from riding in Canada and the US is how the base is allowed to set up, it really does help in decreasing the formation of moguls and extend the season on the back end.

5 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Pretty much spot on. We were going to Hurley, WI to ride the western UP in the mid to late 80's. It was the wild west of snowmobiling.

It was insane but of course there was/is much fun to be had with debauchery, the problem was the visible carnage that would be evident the following day; it really was a black eye on the sport.

Edited by Mileage Psycho

27 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Actually this is something @jtssrx is correct about, one of the great differences from riding in Canada and the US is how the base is allowed to set up, it really does help in decreasing the formation of moguls and extend the season on the back end.

It was insane but of course there was/is much fun to be had with debauchery, the problem was the visible carnage that would be evident the following day; it really was a black eye on the sport.

Rule book says dec 1 ......that's all that matters

9 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Here’s one of the dummys

I belong to two clubs in the UP. They encourage people to ride early season as long as it is below freezing. This helps drive the frost down and compacts the snow. It’s the same thing as panning the trail, with out getting the groomer stuck. The trails never close by me. I’ve ridden as early as Oct and as late as April. All of my sleds have suspensions, so I don’t need perfectly groomed trails. You should just stay home and complain on the Internet, while the true sledders are getting after it while it’s there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

You also have to remember that snowmobile registrations today are down roughly 1/3 from that period....... Fucking Obama :lmao:

Edited by snoughnut

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

You also have to remember that snowmobile registrations today are down roughly 1/3 from that period.

You also have to realize, sleds have more track, more HP, More fuel range, and a hell of a lot more comfortable. 30 years ago they would put on 80 miles in a day. Now it’s nothing to do 250. The last few years the UP has been crazy busy. I would bet there are 4 times the hotel rooms now, verses 30 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

You also have to realize, sleds have more track, more HP, More fuel range, and a hell of a lot more comfortable. 30 years ago they would put on 80 miles in a day. Now it’s nothing to do 250. The last few years the UP has been crazy busy. I would bet there are 4 times the hotel rooms now, verses 30 years ago.

I remember sledding in the UP during that time period, groomers could never keep up, trails were always bumpier than fuck unless you rode during the week. The UP has been busy the last few years because it was the only place that had consistent snow.

• Platinum Contributing Member
32 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I belong to two clubs in the UP. They encourage people to ride early season as long as it is below freezing. This helps drive the frost down and compacts the snow. It’s the same thing as panning the trail, with out getting the groomer stuck. The trails never close by me. I’ve ridden as early as Oct and as late as April. All of my sleds have suspensions, so I don’t need perfectly groomed trails. You should just stay home and complain on the Internet, while the true sledders are getting after it while it’s there. 

Not to mention you can sit there and wait for perfect conditions and the approval of the JTs of the world and next thing you know it's March and you never rode and yes I realize I don't ride much anymore so save those comments.👍🏿🤓❄️☃️🤑

47 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

:owned:

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Not to mention you can sit there and wait for perfect conditions and the approval of the JTs of the world and next thing you know it's March and you never rode and yes I realize I don't ride much anymore so save those comments.👍🏿🤓❄️☃️🤑

Im not waiting for perfect conditions. There is nothing wrong with opening and closing trails based on conditions. Let the groomers get out first the first fews days to get snow groomed. Thats all