Fireball's official old Ford Truck Thread

18 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

96?  Fuck starting in 1988 with the torsion bar front suspension and CV front axles was a decade ahead of Ford.  

Yah....but that tpi 350 was  nothing to write home about. When they dropped the 5.7 vortec shit got real

4 hours ago, Edmo said:

Coopers FTW! Drove thru a blizzard last Sunday and these did just fine. 

Discoverer m+s

1FF2E1E5-78BB-477A-BE4F-8FB8CB40CE0A.jpeg

I have used several sets of those, great tire, but the ST is even better.

3 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

My 1995 "Old Red" cabin truck got a bunch of repairs over the summer so she could keep going for years to come.

Replaced all of the bushings in the front end, brakes all around, front axle u-joints, manual locking hubs, fresh plugs and wires on the old 300 straight 6, transmission filter and fluid change, new rear fuel tank.

CAM00329.jpg

I had the green duplicate to that.  Put duals on ,cac 4.10s and programmer.  Seemed to help a lot. Tons of low end . 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well, bad idea to go look.

That’s my buddy’s tilt bed.

9CB210A2-7EEC-46A7-9C06-0331A57D0336.thumb.jpeg.27c31036fafddaf6538f4a3deeced8d9.jpeg

64EF8647-3DD9-4C3A-975F-6CD56FFA7ADA.thumb.jpeg.623d4f09f07f8ae132343ffc58d1d09b.jpeg

Front calipers are seized, but it runs and drives and everything seems solid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

78?

Yes. Its an F100 with a 302 and, surprisingly, a C6 behind it. Expected a C4.

Its been in a barn for 4 years. Previous owner was an older guy who passed away. Bought it from his son who. it turns out. I knew. He's a metal faber and built 2 flat decks for me. A couple years ago he went bankrupt so he had someone else post the ads (he still has people looking for him). I called my buddy to tell him I bought the truck and he says "you need to get that truck off his property. He's a dead beat."

So we were back with the cash and buddy's tilt bed in an hour and grabbed the truck.

Body is solid. Someone cut a sunroof in it. It will need paint down the road. Interior is nice. I going to do brakes and any other mechanical stuff for now so I can get it plated. Its over 25 years old so it has to be appraised for value in order to register in Ontario.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, f7ben said:

Yah....but that tpi 350 was  nothing to write home about. When they dropped the 5.7 vortec shit got real

Neither were the ford motors. Ford was similar power with way more complexity and bad mileage 

96+ Chevy ramped it up good and in 97 ford trucks took a steamy shit until 2011. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had to say good bye to this old Ford today.  Cab corners and rockers were shot along with both doors. I sold it for $2200 with the plow and salter get to get it out of the driveway.

i bought it in 2010 as a wreck for $3500 and put $7500 into it but it served me well until now. Only has 260k kms. 

I drove it to the new owner and the exhaust blew apart half way there .....lol

He’s going to use it on his commercial lot.

E012A5A0-D655-4065-8DE2-7E8A248E14A0.thumb.jpeg.b79aa1404919de645c87e3bb5b4a5a68.jpeg

935ACCF7-E959-4BED-BED4-E8003B604FCB.thumb.jpeg.0eec4600ff4718f7e4bf65b3b5a26f53.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the obs "Elizabeth".  I started her up after 5 months of sitting over the winter and brought her home.  Today finished up all new brake lines, shoes and springs & hardware in the rear.  Mounted up the 33's and went for a 35 mile test cruise.  I have a few projects in line for this year and I'll keep updated.

Elizabeth.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

Update on the obs "Elizabeth".  I started her up after 5 months of sitting over the winter and brought her home.  Today finished up all new brake lines, shoes and springs & hardware in the rear.  Mounted up the 33's and went for a 35 mile test cruise.  I have a few projects in line for this year and I'll keep updated.

Elizabeth.jpg

Nice.  Ive owned several of that generation back in the day, got pretty good at working on them too:

92 F150 5.8 gas

94 F450 7.3 diesel

95 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

95 F550 7.3 Powerstroke

99 F550 Powerstroke ( newer gen)

99 F350 Powerstroke

On 12/1/2018 at 3:34 PM, steve from amherst said:

found it, and guess it did have a spec of rust

97250.JPG

My Father has the identical truck, only an ext cab. 96 I believe and just slightly over a 100,000 km's, if that? He gets asked all the time about selling it but he is not interested even though he doesn't drive it much. (pic below)

On 12/2/2018 at 10:27 PM, Blackstar said:

Well, bad idea to go look.

That’s my buddy’s tilt bed.

64EF8647-3DD9-4C3A-975F-6CD56FFA7ADA.thumb.jpeg.623d4f09f07f8ae132343ffc58d1d09b.jpeg

Front calipers are seized, but it runs and drives and everything seems solid.

4 speed manual or automatic? A friend of mine years ago had the identical looking truck. We use to ride together and one morning he showed up with a very stiff neck and wanted me to drive. It had been years since I had driven a standard but he was adamant I did. Needless to say, with my lack of experience and the stitffness/jerkiness of his clutch, I think he regretted it. :lol:

009_9_02.jpg

Edited by irv

On 12/1/2018 at 1:14 PM, Blackstar said:

I agree. Ford got that front end right for those 92-96/97's. I had a '96 F250 Supercab LB 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke with a Dana 60 front axle. A buddy of mine pieced it together from a couple accident victims and some spare parts. It was my work/plow truck and daily driver. I put 400k kms on it. Hated it when I had to give it up.

I've been watching for a reasonable deal on a 92-96 F150 2wd shortbox. I'd like to clean one up for a weekend cruiser.

Found this for sale last night and its 15 minutes from me. Tempted to go look but I might come home with it.....lol

image.png.fe28d26eb4fdc8c98d6bb16d42533037.png

My first truck was a '77 F100 just like this but with the split grill obviously, it had twin stacks and dingle ball curtains in the back window. My dad bought it for me for my 17th birthday. I was supposed to pay them back but the thing was such a pig on gas I could never get any money together. after 8 months my mom traded it in on a used '81 Capri.

Must have been previously owned by someone related to Woodspic :lol:   :lmao:

On 12/1/2018 at 2:04 PM, Fireball 440 said:

Most important thing on these 92-97 F series is to keep everything working. The E4OD and 4R70W are heavily dependant on signals from odd places and electronic transmissions need all inputs working.

Great transmission. 

6 hours ago, irv said:

My Father has the identical truck, only an ext cab. 96 I believe and just slightly over a 100,000 km's, if that? He gets asked all the time about selling it but he is not interested even though he doesn't drive it much. (pic below)

4 speed manual or automatic? A friend of mine years ago had the identical looking truck. We use to ride together and one morning he showed up with a very stiff neck and wanted me to drive. It had been years since I had driven a standard but he was adamant I did. Needless to say, with my lack of experience and the stitffness/jerkiness of his clutch, I think he regretted it. :lol:

009_9_02.jpg

I rang that one till 187,000 tough miles.

• Like 1