Tough Guy: The Bob Probert Story

19 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

how is any sport doing these days.  Kids today could care less about rooting for a team for a whole season and watching every game.  But there is so many other things to take up their time.  Looked like basketball was going to be the outlier but even the numbers there are down.  

Not just kids watching ...

Look at how the sports are now, compared to how they used to be.

Pro Basketball - they take 4 or 5 steps. No big rivalries like there used to be, & no cool players like Bird, MJ, Rodman etc

Hockey is boring as it gets now.

Pro baseball boring as well.

Football still king by far

I just watched, "Ice Guardians" after searching unsuccessfully for Tough Guy. Another good doc on fighting and the role of the enforcer. Sure opens your eyes and clearly portrays, yet again, the affect the media has on most people.

20 hours ago, irv said:

I just watched, "Ice Guardians" after searching unsuccessfully for Tough Guy. Another good doc on fighting and the role of the enforcer. Sure opens your eyes and clearly portrays, yet again, the affect the media has on most people.

Does your wife have an Amazon Prime account? 

1 hour ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

No, I don't believe so? Netflix, Crave, Rodgers on demand are the ones I believe she has? Is AP the only channel/media available to watch it?

18 hours ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Jay, I'm curious if you have watched/seen Ice Guardians before? Imo, it was excellent. Talked a lot, obviously, about the role of the enforcer and how every team should have one so other don't take advantage of your star players like some do with Crosby and others. 

Also talked about how the media portrays these enforcers and how easily gut hooked the public becomes without know the real truth or the whole story. There is a doctor on there who specializes in concussions and talks about the fact these enforcers are way low on the concussion list but teams without these enforcers, the players on those teams have more concussions/injuries than teams with enforcers. I highly recommend anyone who likes/enjoys hockey, watch this. It's a real eye opener. :bc:

Does fighting in hockey cause concussions?
A 2001 study (Concussions in hockey: there is cause for concern) stated succinctly, "Fighting is not a major cause of concussion, although other illegal actions such as elbowing are." ... Seventy-nine concussions is an astronomical number of head injuries for teams that played 26-game or 28-game regular seasons.Mar 18, 2016

18 hours ago, irv said:

No, I don't believe so? Netflix, Crave, Rodgers on demand are the ones I believe she has? Is AP the only channel/media available to watch it?

Prime Video is under Apps on my Xfinity.  You just have to have an Amazon Prime account to access it 

You can also rent it on YT 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Jay, I'm curious if you have watched/seen Ice Guardians before? Imo, it was excellent. Talked a lot, obviously, about the role of the enforcer and how every team should have one so other don't take advantage of your star players like some do with Crosby and others. 

Also talked about how the media portrays these enforcers and how easily gut hooked the public becomes without know the real truth or the whole story. There is a doctor on there who specializes in concussions and talks about the fact these enforcers are way low on the concussion list but teams without these enforcers, the players on those teams have more concussions/injuries than teams with enforcers. I highly recommend anyone who likes/enjoys hockey, watch this. It's a real eye opener. :bc:

Does fighting in hockey cause concussions?
A 2001 study (Concussions in hockey: there is cause for concern) stated succinctly, "Fighting is not a major cause of concussion, although other illegal actions such as elbowing are." ... Seventy-nine concussions is an astronomical number of head injuries for teams that played 26-game or 28-game regular seasons.Mar 18, 2016

No I haven't seen it but I will have to check it out :bc:

Speaking of enforcers, 

My mom worked work for J.H. Hart Urban Forestry for a couple of years after she left Charter One right before her and my dad retired. The owners dad was Leon Hart. 1949 Heismam Trophy winner from Notre Dame, and the #1 pick in the 1950 NFL draft by, which was by the Lions. Anyway, he was really close friends with Ted Lindsay.  Ted was also my mom's bosses God father. He would stop in and see them every now and then.  I got to meet him once. Super nice guy.  You would never think a guy his size use to be one of the meanest hockey players to ever play.   I have a few things autographed by him. 

The wife and I were at the first Wings home game  right after he passed away.  They did a very nice tribute to him right before the game. :bc:

59231.thumb.jpeg.8509d48014f12995b8996a2147710c7a.jpeg

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, frenchy said:

he really was. Pretty good player too. 

My dad was a Montreal fan and was the first to mention him to me as kid. I became obsessed with hockey fights and watching them. Grew up and was around Sandy McCarthy a lot as a kid as he was a friend of my dads. Was nice having a lefty teach a lefty how to fight. :lol:

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

My dad was a Montreal fan and was the first to mention him to me as kid. I became obsessed with hockey fights and watching them. Grew up and was around Sandy McCarthy a lot as a kid as he was a friend of my dads. Was nice having a lefty teach a lefty how to fight. :lol:

I was a Nords fan growing up so hated Nilan but came to respect him as I got older. Those Battle of Quebec games in the 80's were insane. 

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I was a Nords fan growing up so hated Nilan but came to respect him as I got older. Those Battle of Quebec games in the 80's were insane. 

I bet. Miss that style of hockey. Remember when every team had an enforcer? Just so lame now. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Prime Video is under Apps on my Xfinity.  You just have to have an Amazon Prime account to access it 

Speaking of enforcers, 

My mom worked work for J.H. Hart Urban Forestry for a couple of years after she left Charter One right before her and my dad retired. The owners dad was Leon Hart. 1949 Heismam Trophy winner from Notre Dame, and the #1 pick in the 1950 NFL draft by, which was by the Lions. Anyway, he was really close friends with Ted Lindsay.  Ted was also my mom's bosses God father. He would stop in and see them every now and then.  I got to meet him once. Super nice guy.  You would never think a guy his size use to be one of the meanest hockey players to ever play.   I have a few things autographed by him. 

The wife and I were at the first Wings home game  right after he passed away.  They did a very nice tribute to him right before the game. :bc:

59231.thumb.jpeg.8509d48014f12995b8996a2147710c7a.jpeg

Good watch...thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Speaking of enforcers, 

Nice! :bc:

6 minutes ago, Reevester said:

I bet. Miss that style of hockey. Remember when every team had an enforcer? Just so lame now. 

Ice Guardians talked a lot about that and how those stars, such as Crosby, are abused and hurt constantly because of a lack of enforcer. Everyone gets on Crosby for being a whiner but if he had some protection like what was afforded to Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, etc, he wouldn't been seen as such. I can only imagine how much better he would be and how many more points he would have if he had an enforcer on his team.

In the doc, many stars said how comfortable and how free they could be knowing no one was going to bother/take liberties with them with an enforcer having their backs. In a nut shell, they said there was no way they could be as successful as they were or the  players they were without them. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Why is there no more enforcers 

partly because the league is trying to weed out fighting as much as possible (essentially a liability issue for them) and the fact the game is so fast now it's really hard to dress dedicated fighters who can't play a regular shift. 

fighting is way down in junior too compared to years gone by. Get in 3 fights for the season and there is a mandatory suspension by the league. 

Edited by frenchy

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

partly because the league is trying to weed out fighting as much as possible (essentially a liability issue for them) and the fact the game is so fast now it's really hard to dress dedicated fighters who can't play a regular shift. 

fighting is way down in junior too compared to years gone by. Get in 3 fights for the season and there is a mandatory suspension by the league. 

Well ever gay 

• Platinum Contributing Member

When I was 12 my old man took me to a game right after Joe Louis opened and we were walking  down a hall to the Olympia Club or something and this guy walked by...holy hell he looked like a friggin giant! :lol:

41D61B8E-DBDD-45FC-9C63-3171FC1591DF.jpeg.358f1931922fc82d015938817eb61a37.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

When I was 12 my old man took me to a game right after Joe Louis opened and we were walking  down a hall to the Olympia Club or something and this guy walked by...holy hell he looked like a friggin giant! :lol:

I never missed a home game when Lindros played for the Oshawa Generals. One particular game at the old Civic Auditorium, my bud and I were allowed to stand behind the net/boards where they Zamboni came on the ice. North Bay had a player in Darian Hatcher, who was assigned to watch/cover Eric. While my bud and I were standing there, the 2 of them got into a scrum/tussle right in front of us and I remember looking up about as high as my neck would allow watching these 2 to go at. The size of them, especially on skates, is something I will never forget.

Darien Hatcher: 6.5 feet tall bare footed.  Eric Lindros: 6.4 feet tall bare footed.  Add in the height of skate blades at 2/12-3/12 inches plus their helmet, and these guys were giants out there. 

Chara is almost 7' tall with his gear on!! :yikes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Pete Mahavolich is 6’ 5”...I was in awe! 

In that doc, Ice Guardians, some of the enforcers said they had to work out daily, year round, to stay in shape in order to retain their jobs. One of the enforcers said 6-8 hour days of nothing but workouts. 

I forget who it was on here a few years ago, but someone said hockey players weren't that tough off the ice:lol:Even if one of the smaller ones was somehow getting beat by some street goon, he would simply outlast him on endurance alone. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, irv said:

In that doc, Ice Guardians, some of the enforcers said they had to work out daily, year round, to stay in shape in order to retain their jobs. One of the enforcers said 6-8 hour days of nothing but workouts. 

I forget who it was on here a few years ago, but someone said hockey players weren't that tough off the ice:lol:Even if one of the smaller ones was somehow getting beat by some street goon, he would simply outlast him on endurance alone. 

Hockey players are the most talented athletes in the world. It’s no contest

• Like 1