Another low snow winter

• Platinum Contributing Member

Not going to claim we haven't had some poor winters but I've since I purchased my first sled in 92 any riding before xmas was generally a gift and any before Thanksgiving.....well that has always been pretty rare.   

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not going to claim we haven't had some poor winters but I've since I purchased my first sled in 92 any riding before xmas was generally a gift and any before Thanksgiving.....well that has always been pretty rare.   

This is the best start to a winter in a long time here in MN. Just a couple inches more snow and we are riding here. 

20181127_095759.jpg

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is the best start to a winter in a long time here in MN. Just a couple inches more snow and we are riding here. 

20181127_095759.jpg

Getting a good frost in the ground is as important as anything early.   Good start but lots can change.  

I cut my last section of trail for the local club Saturday night.   Then switch from the flail mower to rear blade and jinxed our first storm to the south.   35 miles south of me got 8" we didn't get a flurry.  We were only suppose to get 1-3 by then which is plenty for test and tune in the field.  

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Getting a good frost in the ground is as important as anything early.   Good start but lots can change.  

I cut my last section of trail for the local club Saturday night.   Then switch from the flail mower to rear blade and jinxed our first storm to the south.   35 miles south of me got 8" we didn't get a flurry.  We were only suppose to get 1-3 by then which is plenty for test and tune in the field.  

Dont jinx it ever!!! Lol

We have 8-10" of ice on the lakes and there is more frost in the ground right now than we have had in November in a long long time. She's frozen stiff out there and temps are running below average for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Dont jinx it ever!!! Lol

We have 8-10" of ice on the lakes and there is more frost in the ground right now than we have had in November in a long long time. She's frozen stiff out there and temps are running below average for the foreseeable future.

8-10"!!!!   Shit that's an incredible start for ice.   Can't wait to get up to the cabin for the first ride.   Shotgun season's first but planning on getting up maybe the weekend of the 15th if the trails are open.  

Any snow prep plow or sled is surely to cut any storm in half or more.  :lol:  My wife loves riding so much she gets pissed at me for working on stuff when a storm is coming.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

8-10"!!!!   Shit that's an incredible start for ice.   Can't wait to get up to the cabin for the first ride.   Shotgun season's first but planning on getting up maybe the weekend of the 15th if the trails are open.  

Any snow prep plow or sled is surely to cut any storm in half or more.  :lol:  My wife loves riding so much she gets pissed at me for working on stuff when a storm is coming.  

I need to button up a few things on the turbo and the triple. I'm not touching either till the groomer runs lol. I may take the cfr out for a few shake down runs next week though. 

I haven't drilled any holes in the ice but my buddy stopped by yesterday and said the wheelers have been out on ice for a few weeks now. He was guessing 8" minimum and he lives on the lake and knows them well 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I need to button up a few things on the turbo and the triple. I'm not touching either till the groomer runs lol. I may take the cfr out for a few shake down runs next week though. 

I haven't drilled any holes in the ice but my buddy stopped by yesterday and said the wheelers have been out on ice for a few weeks now. He was guessing 8" minimum and he lives on the lake and knows them well 

Got lots of work to do on sleds yet but making a dent.   Biggest thing is figuring out a headlight issue on the z1T.  (yes I kept it.)  

HL relay won't energize.   If I jump the connections directly on the relay circuit the HL's work fine.   

Edited by Highmark

32 minutes ago, f7ben said:

20181127_095759.jpg

Well if you get it by next Thursday we may be headed there! 

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Got lots of work to do on sleds yet but making a dent.   Biggest thing is figuring out a headlight issue on the z1T.  (yes I kept it.)  

HL relay won't energize.   If I jump the connections directly on the relay circuit the HL's work fine.   

Almost has to be an ECU issue eh?

14 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well if you get it by next Thursday we may be headed there! 

I doubt it will be worth the trip unless something changes. Looks like 1-2" Thursday and not much else on the rest of the week. Could be some very local riding to be had next week but nothin worth driving for

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Almost has to be an ECU issue eh?

I doubt it will be worth the trip unless something changes. Looks like 1-2" Thursday and not much else on the rest of the week. Could be some very local riding to be had next week but nothin worth driving for

Could be.   Strange that when the key is on the relay gets the correct voltage yet won't energize the relay.   I think it could still be a poor ground or loose pin in one of the connectors.  

I pulled the wire schematics and have a few things to check before punting it off to a dealer.  

21 hours ago, old indy said:

thats going to cause all sorts of grooming problems in Maine aint it?  is anything froze up?  i picture broken groomers all over the place sunk in the mud.... or worse.

Went out for a 30 mile shakedown run with the boys on Friday and was out clearing blowdowns on Sunday with the new ice fishing buggy, near as I can tell she's a typical start for us. Some soft spots but I'm going to start packing trails with the groomer starting next weekend after this storm. :bc:

46516189_10212384251664670_6061097151360

46517122_10212384252344687_2990241503755

46626225_10212384251464665_7686860431742

20181125_105414.jpg

• Like 4

We had 3-4" a couple of times then it all melted. We got about 15" over the weekend and what looked like a good start has basically dwindled due to the rain we got. We"re supposed to get more in the long range (14 day) lol. We've always gone riding on Boxing  Day except for one where there was zero snow in the past 20yrs and about the same for a New Years eve ride where it just pissed down rain.

7 minutes ago, jammin said:

Most trails will be inspected and ready in Northern WI by Dec 1st..... just need mother nature to do her thing.  Our lake had 3-4" of ice last week and 3-4" of snow.  

It's all gone now...no snow at all in WI until I got north of Hayward and then is was spotty and maybe an 1"

39 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Went out for a 30 mile shakedown run with the boys on Friday and was out clearing blowdowns on Sunday with the new ice fishing buggy, near as I can tell she's a typical start for us. Some soft spots but I'm going to start packing trails with the groomer starting next weekend after this storm. :bc:

46516189_10212384251664670_6061097151360

46517122_10212384252344687_2990241503755

46626225_10212384251464665_7686860431742

20181125_105414.jpg

Like this buggy?

IMG_0005.JPG

This could be the best start to a riding season I’ve seen in the northeast. This storm today will be the 3rd 8”+ storm we’ve had already at our camp in NH. We got a little rain too, but no 60 degree days so far like in recent years.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:17 PM, Anler said:

Was planning to go up on the 6th but this warm up and rain kinda fucked things up. Not looking too good now. I knew this would happen. 

It'll be fine.

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I have been ridding mn for over 40 yrs and can count on 1 hand the number of pre Christmas rides . many low snow years with very little riding from 70s to today 

And I can't remember all the pre Christmas rides I have had, December 16th and 17th last year I was riding in SE Wisconsin, December 8th 2006 we did a 310 mile loop heading out of Grayling MI, thru the Jordan Valley, had dinner in the shadow of the Mighty Mac, headed towards Alpena till the snow got thin then cut north and caught the new trail that opened that season on the north side of Mullet Lake.

Lot's of pre Christmas rides where the shit was all good!! :bc:

2 hours ago, rump-rider said:

This could be the best start to a riding season I’ve seen in the northeast. This storm today will be the 3rd 8”+ storm we’ve had already at our camp in NH. We got a little rain too, but no 60 degree days so far like in recent years.

I was reading a discusion on FBs new england sled talk, NEST, one club saying no grooming yet and beware 2 - 3 feet in places.  :dance:

39 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Id say having snow and having to drive 6 hrs to get to and from it to ride would suck.

I drive 4+ and it does suck. Until you get a waft of burnt 2 stroke, and you’re braaaaping through the woods grinning from ear to ear. Unfortunately the really good paying jobs and good schools aren’t in the same zip code as the good trails in the Midwest. :dunno: 

• Like 1