Lower cost Navigation options

Looking for a more cost efficient Nav system this year.  I had a little handheld a few years back but screen is too small.  Polaris PIDD Nav  is great but no way am I gonna spend 900 bucks for it.  Bro is talking a Garmin 73sv.  Discuss.

I got this . can also be used for what ever you need your droid for .

I have not seen mine yet ordered after i left  but played with a buds for a while before ordering . 

not much cheaper but more useful and larger than the stock poo or the hand units 

http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I got this . can also be used for what ever you need your droid for .

I have not seen mine yet ordered after i left  but played with a buds for a while before ordering . 

not much cheaper but more useful and larger than the stock poo or the hand units 

http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system

Looks like a nice unit, does more than I need in terms of motor data though.  

7 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don't need much of the motor data,. but it is nice to have the map overlay stuff checking mail is a plus . he also has been giving free updates,every yr to the old units to the newest programming. 

no perfect awnser 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Get the AMPS rugged mount, thats what I use.  Although ordered the XC with the PIDD, so will see how that compares.

I had the PIDD on my SKS and miss it, super nice gauge, all integrated, but no way am I gonna spend 900 bucks for it.  I bought that sled on a snow check and forgot what the deal was, but it was either a free upgrade or discounted, in lieu of a longer warranty.  One thing I noticed was it didn’t seem to have alotta memory for saving tracks.

I went with a reaaal high end unit..     a 59 dollar reconditioned Garmin nuvi two years ago, that and the mapping from New England sled trails.  its pretty antiquated but has all the info ive needed so far.

its large enough to see no problem, it could use the optional shroud.  no issues with cold yet. and no worries if i should lose or break it.    with all that being mediocre at best , the trail mapping is the important paht for me, and thats been great.   

IMG_3885.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Seriously....you dont know where the fuck youre going?

Seriously, that’s one of the dumbest questions ever.  :lol:    Of course we usually know “where the fuck we’re going”, but there are plenty of times where a gps is helpful.   Plenty of unmarked logging roads and areas not on the maps.   Try crossing Moosehead in a snow storm and get back to us.  I plan a couple loops into Quebec this year too and a gps helps a lot.

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Seriously, that’s one of the dumbest questions ever.  :lol:    Of course we usually know “where the fuck we’re going”, but there are plenty of times where a gps is helpful.   Plenty of unmarked logging roads and areas not on the maps.   Try crossing Moosehead in a snow storm and get back to us.  I plan a couple loops into Quebec this year too and a gps helps a lot.

Never needed one ever....

City folk

:lol:

1 minute ago, DAVE said:

Never needed one ever....

City folk

:lol:

You’re my hero!  I’ll let our buddy Denis know, who was born and raised there, and who’s family owns 70k+ acres up there.  He knows the are better than most anyone and he still runs a GPS.  I’d love to see you find a trail head after running 20-25 miles across Moosehead in a snow storm.  :lol: 

I've never needed a gps either but I'm old school and have the paper maps just in case. Snowmobiling all over Ontario I pretty well have alot of it muskoka north, engraved in my brain. Trails do tend to change a lot now. Being on a big lake in a snowstorm it would be a big help. 

I see tons of guys with the garmin's and that's what I have looked into as well. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You’re my hero!  I’ll let our buddy Denis know, who was born and raised there, and who’s family owns 70k+ acres up there.  He knows the are better than most anyone and he still runs a GPS.  I’d love to see you find a trail head after running 20-25 miles across Moosehead in a snow storm.  :lol: 

If i rode there all the time nfp....you act like no one else has ever sledded....jesus....get over yourself.

:lol2:

I hadnt ridden Ontario trails or Quebec in a few yrs until last yr....and not once did i wish i had a gps.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

What do you want for motor data?

I have been using one for awhile.  There is a lot of data buried in the unit.

I also have a couple of Garmin units (60csx, Montana 650t) with bar mounts.  I usually start out on new sleds with stock gauges and use the Garmin units to compare speed accuracy.  I have been switching over to the NS1 pretty quickly after stock gauge verification.  I like the option of looking at older engine data on the NS1 setup.  I will say that it can still be improved.  I have not found a way to export the data to a spreadsheet type format.  You also have to click on the data to see top speed and RPM vs. having it locked onto the gauge.