Motion Sickness When Sledding

• Platinum Contributing Member

So over the last few years I've had some issues a few times when  riding that up until now I just chalked up to not feeling well or something I ate but after reading a classified on DooTalk where a guy was selling a coat as  he was quitting the sport because of motion sickness...I did a little research and found that it's more common than I thought and it gets worse as guys get older. Other than crazy carnival rides I don't get motion sickness....anybody else experience this? 

Just now, Edmo said:

I can’t ride the crazy coasters anymore at cedar point. Used to love them when I was younger. Hasn’t affected me on the sled though. :dunno: 

It's strange and my buddy jokingly mentioned it a few weeks ago and I laughed but like I said as I looked into it I was surprised.

A buddy of mine was getting sick when riding. At 1st we thought it was from the fumes from the sleds he was following. We put him up front but it didn't help. We were on a ride with a large group when he got sick. @Angry ginger went in to the next town and brought back some Dramamine.  It did the trick. After that he took one before every ride and it seemed to work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So over the last few years I've had some issues a few times when  riding that up until now I just chalked up to not feeling well or something I ate but after reading a classified on DooTalk where a guy was selling a coat as  he was quitting the sport because of motion sickness...I did a little research and found that it's more common than I thought and it gets worse as guys get older. Other than crazy carnival rides I don't get motion sickness....anybody else experience this? 

Have you tried taking a motion sickness pill? I know of a few people that do it when they ride coasters and it works

I only had motion sickness once in my life on lake Erie in a storm about 25 years ago. But my eyes are getting terrible. I think it's these electronic devices that are fucking them up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Onset of vertigo?

Don't think so...but who knows.

45 minutes ago, ckf said:

A buddy of mine was getting sick when riding. At 1st we thought it was from the fumes from the sleds he was following. We put him up front but it didn't help. We were on a ride with a large group when he got sick. @Angry ginger went in to the next town and brought back some Dramamine.  It did the trick. After that he took one before every ride and it seemed to work.

Carnival rides have always made me sick even when I was a kid...might give Dramamine a try.

44 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Have you tried taking a motion sickness pill? I know of a few people that do it when they ride coasters and it works

See above

36 minutes ago, Anler said:

I only had motion sickness once in my life on lake Erie in a storm about 25 years ago. But my eyes are getting terrible. I think it's these electronic devices that are fucking them up. 

My eyes have gotten bad and I think that might be part of the issue....need to get an exam and get some legit glasses instead of these dollar store readers.

What's funny but not really is that since I quit the sauce almost two years ago I actually feel worse....WTF.😝😫😤

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Don't think so...but who knows.

Carnival rides have always made me sick even when I was a kid...might give Dramamine a try.

See above

My eyes have gotten bad and I think that might be part of the issue....need to get an exam and get some legit glasses instead of these dollar store readers.

the docs ive been too since getting glasses 13 y/ago have all said those will make things worse     :dunno:

49 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Onset of vertigo?

That is what a riding friend claims is his problem.  It did pretty much kill his riding.  I don't know how to help him get over the problem.  He rides like an old lady when it is bad.  Trips are short too.

2 minutes ago, old indy said:

the docs ive been too since getting glasses 13 y/ago have all said those will make things worse     :dunno:

Well I've heard  that but I have a buddy that went to the eye doctor and was told he didn't need prescription glasses and just to get some cheap readers so who knows.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well I've heard  that but I have a buddy that went to the eye doctor and was told he didn't need prescription glasses and just to get some cheap readers so who knows.

ya if all one needs is a little help" i dont see how it can make things worse myself.      now i have an astigmatism so both eye are different,,, that i could see them causing issuse with this.

1 minute ago, old indy said:

ya if all one needs is a little help" i dont see how it can make things worse myself.      now i have an astigmatism so both eye are different,,, that i could see them causing issuse with this.

Either way I should get an exam....I don't think I have been to the eye doctor since I was a kid and now I'm 51.....😫

It happens to a buddy of mine. He has to eat a very small breakfast and takes motion sickness pills. He is fine by lunch. He gets it so bad,that he has to stop and puke. He isn’t a drinker, but if you saw him, you would think he is hung over. I get it if I ride real hard first thing in the morning after a few to many beers the night before. I’m fine if I don’t play in the trees or hit the twisters fast. I’m finding as I get older, I have to watch what I eat and drink the night before. Fried foods can fuck me up just as bad as the beer. I don’t puke, but get acid reflux or something. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Whens the last time youve got your ears checked? For some reason i get alot of wax in my ears...maybe its from the yrs working in a noisy factory....but anyway...i was experiencing dizziness spells while atving and sledding...i went to the dr and it turned out my ears where packed with wax...never feel dizzy while riding since...and can hear the wife bitch better too...i go once a yr now to get them sucked out.

4 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It happens to a buddy of mine. He has to eat a very small breakfast and takes motion sickness pills. He is fine by lunch. He gets it so bad,that he has to stop and puke. He isn’t a drinker, but if you saw him, you would think he is hung over. I get it if I ride real hard first thing in the morning after a few to many beers the night before. I’m fine if I don’t play in the trees or hit the twisters fast. I’m finding as I get older, I have to watch what I eat and drink the night before. Fried foods can fuck me up just as bad as the beer. I don’t puke, but get acid reflux or something. 

Yeah this getting older shit is for the birds.😤

4 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Whens the last time youve got your ears checked? For some reason i get alot of wax in my ears...maybe its from the yrs working in a noisy factory....but anyway...i was experiencing dizziness spells while atving and sledding...i went to the dr and it turned out my ears where packed with wax...never feel dizzy while riding since...and can hear the wife bitch better too...i go once a yr now to get them sucked out.

Haven't had them checked in years...good idea although not hearing the wife is a plus.😝

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah this getting older shit is for the birds.😤

Haven't had them checked in years...good idea although not hearing the wife is a plus.😝

Maybe just a really good slap to the side of the squash would straighten this out :dunno::bc:

• Haha 1

I rode with a guy like that. He'd start to get motion sickness and pull off the trail. He'd take off the gas cap and take a stiff. Then he'd stagger over to the side of the trail and hurl. He'd get back on the sled and be good for the rest of the day. It was a ritual every fucking time we'd ride together. 

• Haha 2

Ooof.  This sux.  It’s a bit common on motor sports tho.  I’ve heard people say to make sure you tighten your core on whoops and bumps (tighten up stomach muscles).  Make sure you are keeping your head “tight” (no bobbleheading).  Eat something light and bland before riding.  A simple sandwich or something.  I’ve also heard it could be the onset of vision issues?