Taxpayers' cost for Trump Jr.'s business trip to India nearly $100K, documents show

Taxpayers' cost for Trump Jr.'s business trip to India nearly $100K, documents show

Source: Washington Post

National 

Taxpayers’ cost for Trump Jr.'s business trip to India nearly $100K, documents show 

By Annie Gowen 
November 15 at 11:58 AM 

Donald Trump Jr.’s lavish trip to India to sell his family’s luxury condominium projects cost U.S. taxpayers nearly $100,000, documents obtained by The Washington Post show. 

The Department of Homeland Security, responding to a Freedom of Information request, released 47 pages of purchase orders, requisition forms and planning work sheets showing Trump Jr.’s February trip cost more than $97,805 for hotel rooms, airfare, car rental and overtime for Secret Service agents. The costs were incurred on a February tour of four Indian cities — New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune and Kolkata — where the Trump family has licensed its name to luxury high-rise projects. 

During his tour, Trump Jr. walked the red carpet, attended a ribbon cutting at a high-rise overlooking the Arabian Sea in Mumbai, hosted champagne dinners for buyers and had a private tete-a-tete with India’s Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. Full-page glossy newspaper ads offered those who put down a $38,000 deposit of a new luxury project outside Delhi a chance to dine with the president’s son, prompting charges of conflict of interest. His team boasted to reporters they had sold $100 million worth of the pricey flats, including $15 million in a single day. 

The government spent a similar amount — about $97,830 — for hotel stays for Secret Service and embassy staffers for Eric’s trip last year to Uruguay, a Post review of purchasing orders found last year. Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington released a report in July that shows the Secret Service spent $200,000 on airfare, hotel rooms and other expenses when Trump Jr. and Eric went to the United Arab Emirates to open a golf resort last year. 

David Fahrenthold contributed to this report. 

Annie Gowen is a correspondent for The Washington Post's National desk. She was previously The Post’s India bureau chief and has reported for The Post throughout South Asia and the Middle East since 2013. Before going to India, she was a member of The Post's social issues team covering wealth and inequality. Follow https://twitter.com/anniegowen

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/taxpayers-cost-for-trump-jrs-business-trip-to-india-nearly-100k-documents-show/2018/11/15/1ea6153a-9f58-4718-83d8-dff80ad42f9e_story.html 

Just now, Mainecat said:

So your ok with the president using his office for personal profit?

yes or no?

*you're

I'm not ok with any of these "elected servants" using their office for profit but, they all do and there is apparently nothing us pee-ons can do about it.

Stop with your hypocritical fake outrage tho.  It's gross.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

*you're

I'm not ok with any of these "elected servants" using their office for profit but, they all do and there is apparently nothing us pee-ons can do about it.

Stop with your hypocritical fake outrage tho.  It's gross.

So that’s a yes.

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

100k is pretty cheap. Our dingbat PM spent alot more. His trip to India cost Canadian taxpayers 1.66 million.

Yeah but he is the PM. Trumpkin Jr. is nothing.   

This is awesome because I remember when the future Trumpsters lost their shit over Obama taking Michelle out on their anniversary.  I think they spent the equivalent of half Trumps regular golf weekends.

Trumpsters are so funny.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

This is awesome because I remember when the future Trumpsters lost their shit over Obama taking Michelle out on their anniversary.  I think they spent the equivalent of half Trumps regular golf weekends.

Trumpsters are so funny.

So why are you defending chelsea clinton if she is nothing?

:lol:

44 minutes ago, DAVE said:

So why are you defending chelsea clinton if she is nothing?

Imagine if she went on a personal trip and cost the government 100 grand.  You silly fuckers would lose your shit.

Weren't you silly fuckers upset that the Obamas hired a relative as a nanny for the kids?

Such stupid angry hypocrites. 

11 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Imagine if she went on a personal trip and cost the government 100 grand.  You silly fuckers would lose your shit.

Weren't you silly fuckers upset that the Obamas hired a relative as a nanny for the kids?

Such stupid angry hypocrites. 

The clinton foundation paid for her elaborate wedding!

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

Trumpsters are so funny.

Trump apologists are deranged kool aid drinkers.