Official 2018-2019 sledding post

4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Go get B3C Ethanol shield or Mechanic in a bottle,.. Seafoam does nothing for ethanol nor does it prevent phase separation and it's extremely harsh on rubber..Startron is just kerosene and does absolutely nothing.

I have never heard that before until now. What proof/links do you have that show that? Not saying you're wrong but I have used in for around 10+ years now and not once have I had an issue with it in my sleds, lawnmower, atv or vehicles.

18 minutes ago, s pump said:

Starting the sled frequently is not good. Tha moisture hangs in spots like steel/aluminum mating spot like crank bearings. Get it good and hot seafoam it and park it.

I agree. I use to do this with my Vector but seeing the amount of condensation coming out of my exhaust made me think this likely isn't a good idea. I only done this because my sled was kept in my garage instead of storage. Fog it and forget about it is the way to go, imo. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Drain the fuel or not? 

I always do but just out of the tank. The reason or the believe for leaving your tank full is to help cut down on condensation. My believe is that the condensation will be minimal if the tank is empty or almost empty and it is much better, imo, to start off the season with fresh gas rather than gas that is 5-6 months old. 

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Bunch of terrified pussies. I've never fogged a motor or drained gas in my life. Start it a couple times through the summer, bring up to temp and shut down. Fill with Premium in December and ride. Never had an issue.

I just dragged out my old mortar mixer on Thursday. Been sitting for 3 years with half a tank of Reg. Recoil was seized. Once replaced it started right up and ran all day.

I used to do that when I kept the sleds at home in the garage.  Wife hated the smell.:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, irv said:

I have never heard that before until now. What proof/links do you have that show that? Not saying you're wrong but I have used in for around 10+ years now and not once have I had an issue with it in my sleds, lawnmower, atv or vehicles.

I agree. I use to do this with my Vector but seeing the amount of condensation coming out of my exhaust made me think this likely isn't a good idea. I only done this because my sled was kept in my garage instead of storage. Fog it and forget about it is the way to go, imo. 

I always do but just out of the tank. The reason or the believe for leaving your tank full is to help cut down on condensation. My believe is that the condensation will be minimal if the tank is empty or almost empty and it is much better, imo, to start off the season with fresh gas rather than gas that is 5-6 months old. 

Take a piece of a rubber gloves or a rubber band and toss it in some seafoam..or put a drop of water in a cap full of seafoam, it will just sink to the bottom,..it does nothing for it

41 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Drain the fuel or not? 

I fill to the top to leave the least amount of air in the tank and treat with MIB..run it for a bit so the treated fuel is thru the entire system..I have done this for years on all my equipment and toys..I like filling to the top to keep the fuel lines submerged so they don't dry rotted being exposed to air

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, irv said:

Start your truck and let it run for an hour it should be hot. When you head down the road it will piss water out the exhaust for a long time. Same in a sled, water vapor hangs around until the engine is up to operating heat and rpm. 

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Take a piece of a rubber gloves or a rubber band and toss it in some seafoam..or put a drop of water in a cap full of seafoam, it will just sink to the bottom,..it does nothing for it

Gas alone would affect those types of things as well. Seafoam doesn't claim to be a water remover, only a moisture control but in all honesty I don't think anything exists that will fully remove/blend water?

8 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I fill to the top to leave the least amount of air in the tank and treat with MIB..run it for a bit so the treated fuel is thru the entire system..I have done this for years on all my equipment and toys..I like filling to the top to keep the fuel lines submerged so they don't dry rotted being exposed to air

Gas lines will eventually become brittle due to their exposure to gas or air so, imo, it makes no difference at all. When I purchased my XLT back in 96, (still all with original gas lines, btw) the dealer told me in the summer you can actually hear the gas boiling in tanks that had full tanks. He had many in his compound over the summer. 

7 minutes ago, s pump said:

Start your truck and let it run for an hour it should be hot. When you head down the road it will piss water out the exhaust for a long time. Same in a sled, water vapor hangs around until the engine is up to operating heat and rpm. 

I agree. It takes a pile of run time/heat in order to burn that moisture off. Outside Humidity levels also comes into play. Each their own but I believe in fogging and forgetting. It's just easier that way and I know the engine is coated in oil. 

Just now, irv said:

Gas alone would affect those types of things as well. Seafoam doesn't claim to be a water remover, only a moisture control but in all honesty I don't think anything exists that will fully remove/blend water?

B3c does,..it's synthetic, it allows the water,ethanol, oil (in a 2cycle mix application) , the treatment, and fuel molecules to bond together for up to 6 years. It does not remove the water, it just allows it to blend and be burned evenly rather than sucking up a glob of it from the bottom of the tank.

• Like 1

Ridged sold me on MIB. Everything I have up north gets non eth. I had good luck with sea foam but MIB works better for me. I also put heat in the first fill up in the sleds. Most of the sled gas gets pulled out in the off season and burned in the mower. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, Tinker said:

Back in January, my truck lost its oil pressure, so i parked it , starting it every couple weeks , still sounded like shit no oil pressure.

Emptied a bottle of Seafoam/STP same can in my Dodge's crank case after losing oil pressure for shits and giggles,  ran it for a few minutes let it sit a few weeks and now engine works great , full oil pressure. Did oil change last week and now will keep it as spare til i sell it.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, Zambroski said:

Nice.  I really like that seat design.

Just go start it every few weeks and let it get up to temp then, after you’ve inhaled and drowned your clothes in that sexy smell, shut it down.  

Otherwise, fog it but I wouldn’t run it dry.  Stabil.

I've always siphoned as much gas out as possible, then run them till they die.  Never had any problems. 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, irv said:

I fog both my 4 stroke Vector and my 2 stroke XLT. I believe in Seafoam way more than I do Stabil. I run it all season long but give it an extra dose before storage. Run it for 10 minutes or so blipping the throttle then I start the fogging process. Once the engines have stopped due to the fog spray, I syphon out the extra gas I have in my tanks. I don't drain the carbs as I think it is unnecessary with the Seafoam in there but each to their own. 

In another thread in the Ontario section, I think Blade fever was the guy who had black soot/carbon all over his carb parts. No one knew but Tinker who said it was the Stabil that did/does that. I have 3-4 large jugs of Stabil on my shelf that I haven't touched in years or all those years I have been using Seafoam. Seafoam not only stabilizes, it cleans, among other things, as well. That is why I run it all season. It has been years since I have cleaned my carbs or had carb problems. 

Same here. Never had any issues.  

On 4/21/2019 at 11:09 AM, Zambroski said:

This.  Who doesn't want to do this anyway and smell that sweet 2 stroke nectar?  Close up the shop doors and windows and lose yourself in the fragrance!

Smoke Cat.jpg

You should start your truck up at the same time.  Close the door and stay in there for a couple of hours , while they're running. 🆕

:news:

On 4/21/2019 at 11:13 AM, irv said:

Always start the season off with a tank full of fresh 93/94 and a bottle of dry gas. 

24 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I've always siphoned as much gas out as possible, then run them till they die.  Never had any problems. 

Same here. Never had any issues.  

You should start your truck up at the same time.  Close the door and stay in there for a couple of hours , while they're running. 🆕

:news:

Always start the season off with a tank full of fresh 93/94 and a bottle of dry gas. 

Why 93?  Do you guys not have eth free gas?  My boat always runs ethanol free gas (old) and my sleds I try to always get ethanol free.  Alot of small gas stations near us carry eth free high test which is great 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I can get 91 ethanol free.

Get it.  Even with additives, ethanol gas has a shelf life of a few months where phase separation starts and the by product is water.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

Why 93?  Do you guys not have eth free gas?  My boat always runs ethanol free gas (old) and my sleds I try to always get ethanol free.  Alot of small gas stations near us carry eth free high test which is great 

Very few places downstate have it , but more of the newer and upgraded stations are starting to. We get 91 rec fuel or 93 up in the UP

Most stations by me are either  87 89 or 93 

Edited by SVT Renegade XRS

24 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Very few places downstate have it , but more of the newer and upgraded stations are starting to. We get 91 rec fuel or 93 up in the UP

Most stations by me are either  87 89 or 93 

The Krist Stations here have 91 Rec Fuel...I bought 93 for the IQR for the couple extra octane...next season all 91 Rec for me.

There is a lot of talk about gasoline.  There is also a lot of blame being directed.

Airplanes use fancy gas.  They have for many years.  Talk to a pilot about skipping the water test on a gas powered airplane.  Many of the old tractors also had clear fuel bowls to verify gas vs. water/sediment.

I don't always buy the fancy fuel.  I want to make sure they have been pumping plenty out of the pump I use for my machine.  High volume gives me better odds at some fill stops.

Honestly, it would be nice to have a quick test for water content.  This past winter left quite a few machines stranded because of water in the gas.   It wasn't from gas that sat too long.  People were riding and filling.   Some stations just plain struggled with water getting into their storage systems.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, favoritos said:

There is a lot of talk about gasoline.  There is also a lot of blame being directed.

Airplanes use fancy gas.  They have for many years.  Talk to a pilot about skipping the water test on a gas powered airplane.  Many of the old tractors also had clear fuel bowls to verify gas vs. water/sediment.

I don't always buy the fancy fuel.  I want to make sure they have been pumping plenty out of the pump I use for my machine.  High volume gives me better odds at some fill stops.

Honestly, it would be nice to have a quick test for water content.  This past winter left quite a few machines stranded because of water in the gas.   It wasn't from gas that sat too long.  People were riding and filling.   Some stations just plain struggled with water getting into their storage systems.

Excellent points and it would seem that a fairly simple test could be devised for sledders.

7 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Hard to find, Supposed to be illegal to sell eth free at a pump a car can pull up to. Thou in snowmobile country many places will have it. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The Krist Stations here have 91 Rec Fuel...I bought 93 for the IQR for the couple extra octane...next season all 91 Rec for me.

Don't think I've seen it down here anywhere, but then again I don't look.  I usually buy Speedway or BP 93 or Sunoco 94    UP N I run 91 Rec fuel or 93 if they don't have 91 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Excellent points and it would seem that a fairly simple test could be devised for sledders.

Place a few towns over from me sells 110. I filled a jap bike with yrs back. Turned it into a rocketship.