Official 2018-2019 sledding post

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That's how I usually do it but she has 93 w/ethanol in her...will the stabil keep that ethanol from fucking shit up? I've got some Star Tron but there was something else I heard mentioned here.

Regular Stabil will work fine but they make some other blend too.  

I’d drain that shit and put it in your lawnmower.  I fill mine with 91 and add stabil.  Start it every few weeks then, in November, drain it and use it for the snowblower.  Fresh fill with non-eth 91.

Is there a place to get premium, non-ethanol close to you? 

26 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’d drain that shit and put it in your lawnmower.  I fill mine with 91 and add stabil.  Start it every few weeks then, in November, drain it and use it for the snowblower.  Fresh fill with non-eth 91.

Always put shell non ethanol in my mower and shit.   Tends to sit for a while and won't go bad like ethanol.  Put it in the truck 

• Platinum Contributing Member
51 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I can get 91 ethanol free but I used the 93 w/ethanol for the extra octane....next time I'll just use the 91.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I can get 91 ethanol free but I used the 93 w/ethanol for the extra octane....next time I'll just use the 91.

Ethanol is nothing to be afraid of. In the beginning when it scavenged the crud off the tanks it was bad but a little seafoam and it will be fine.  We havent been able to get non e really until the last year or two. No issues with the mower blower or chainsaw. The tillers a bitch no matter what's in it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Ethanol is nothing to be afraid of. In the beginning when it scavenged the crud off the tanks it was bad but a little seafoam and it will be fine.  We havent been able to get non e really until the last year or two. No issues with the mower blower or chainsaw. The tillers a bitch no matter what's in it. 

Thankfully we can get non ethanol still.   Phase separation result with ethanol is water.   No thanks especially in seasonal stuff 

2 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Thankfully we can get non ethanol still.   Phase separation result with ethanol is water.   No thanks especially in seasonal stuff 

Little treatment and it's been no issue and I've had it in everything since 05 or so. Even the 60 gallons in the boat with a vented tank was never an issue with a bottle of treatment in it. 

12 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So with this carbed IQR I'm going to drain the tank and run the carbs dry...anything else? Do you guys fog?

I run carb'ed sleds dry, fog the motor, and drain the carbs.

5 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Fucking hate ethanol. Drained some out of the logsplitter and it looked like orange juice. Threw it on the fire and it it put the fire out.

E98 ethanol 4 lyfe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

You havent had problems with chainsaws and trimmers having fuel lines rot out?     three of my older machines need all lines redone, what a pia.

12 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So with this carbed IQR I'm going to drain the tank and run the carbs dry...anything else? Do you guys fog?

I fog both my 4 stroke Vector and my 2 stroke XLT. I believe in Seafoam way more than I do Stabil. I run it all season long but give it an extra dose before storage. Run it for 10 minutes or so blipping the throttle then I start the fogging process. Once the engines have stopped due to the fog spray, I syphon out the extra gas I have in my tanks. I don't drain the carbs as I think it is unnecessary with the Seafoam in there but each to their own. 

In another thread in the Ontario section, I think Blade fever was the guy who had black soot/carbon all over his carb parts. No one knew but Tinker who said it was the Stabil that did/does that. I have 3-4 large jugs of Stabil on my shelf that I haven't touched in years or all those years I have been using Seafoam. Seafoam not only stabilizes, it cleans, among other things, as well. That is why I run it all season. It has been years since I have cleaned my carbs or had carb problems. 

• Like 1

Bunch of terrified pussies. I've never fogged a motor or drained gas in my life. Start it a couple times through the summer, bring up to temp and shut down. Fill with Premium in December and ride. Never had an issue.

I just dragged out my old mortar mixer on Thursday. Been sitting for 3 years with half a tank of Reg. Recoil was seized. Once replaced it started right up and ran all day.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Go get B3C Ethanol shield or Mechanic in a bottle,.. Seafoam does nothing for ethanol nor does it prevent phase separation and it's extremely harsh on rubber..Startron is just kerosene and does absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Bunch of terrified pussies. I've never fogged a motor or drained gas in my life. Start it a couple times through the summer, bring up to temp and shut down. Fill with Premium in December and ride. Never had an issue.

I just dragged out my old mortar mixer on Thursday. Been sitting for 3 years with half a tank of Reg. Recoil was seized. Once replaced it started right up and ran all day.

I always put a bit of fresh gas and some stabilizer in and run it for a few minutes when I put anything away. Everything starts when I pull it back out and fire it up. :dunno:

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

My normal procedure with sleds has always been the once a month start up...wasn't sure if the carbs and premix would make a difference.

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Go get B3C Ethanol shield or Mechanic in a bottle,.. Seafoam does nothing for ethanol nor does it prevent phase separation and it's extremely harsh on rubber..Startron is just kerosene and does absolutely nothing.

That's the stuff....I wasn't sure who had another product suggestion but thought it was you Tony. :thumb:

10 minutes ago, Reevester said:

I always put a bit of fresh gas and some stabilizer in and run it for a few minutes when I put anything away. Everything starts when I pull it back out and fire it up. :dunno:

Never had an issue either.

11 hours ago, old indy said:

You havent had problems with chainsaws and trimmers having fuel lines rot out?     three of my older machines need all lines redone, what a pia.

I had to do one line in my pos cultivator otherwise no issues. The manly Poulan woodshark starts like a champion 

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I had to do one line in my pos cultivator otherwise no issues. The manly Poulan woodshark starts like a champion 

lol  my 1999 Wild thing was the first to go. the in tank filter first then the primer ball, finally the rest turned to mush too.   2 older echo line trimmers too. They are all older than E fuels so not made to take that crap i spoze.

9 minutes ago, old indy said:

lol  my 1999 Wild thing was the first to go. the in tank filter first then the primer ball, finally the rest turned to mush too.   2 older echo line trimmers too. They are all older than E fuels so not made to take that crap i spoze.

I bought mine in 04 or 05 when we had a storm and needed to cut down limbs to get into camp. Walmart at the time was the only place to buy and other than throwing a couple new chains over the years it's been good. I pull it out once or twice a year to trim up limbs. 

yeah i picked up the wild thing as a disposable tool myself , i beat the bag out of it but it just kept going till the lines let go a year or so ago.  :dunno:   i really should fix it one of these days since it does start EVery time i need it when its not broke.  ive got a newer Husqvarna that doesnt do that...

4 minutes ago, s pump said:

Starting the sled frequently is not good. Tha moisture hangs in spots like steel/aluminum mating spot like crank bearings. Get it good and hot seafoam it and park it.

Drain the fuel or not? 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Drain the fuel or not? 

Start it once a month and let it get hot .   I've had a fleet of Artcos over the years and never lost a motor or fouled a plug .  That alone should carry some serious weight in the discussion :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

Start it once a month and let it get hot .   I've had a fleet of Artcos over the years and never lost a motor or fouled a plug .  That alone should carry some serious weight in the discussion :lol:

This.  Who doesn't want to do this anyway and smell that sweet 2 stroke nectar?  Close up the shop doors and windows and lose yourself in the fragrance!

Smoke Cat.jpg

• Haha 1