Official 2018-2019 sledding post

Here are a couple more shots of where the I-500 revival was suppose to run.  I wish the photos would do it more justice.  It is where I learned to ride and make many practice runs on.  The first photo is where it leaves ditches and farm fields and heads off into a handful of miles of CRP with plenty of hills, gopher mounds, sweeping turns and into some tight twisty sections.  The second photo would be a really challenging stretch with deep snow, drifting, scrub brush, and a barbed wire fence on one side.  

IMG_20190317_091829.jpg

IMG_20190317_092222.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

Here are a couple more shots of where the I-500 revival was suppose to run.  I wish the photos would do it more justice.  It is where I learned to ride and make many practice runs on.  The first photo is where it leaves ditches and farm fields and heads off into a handful of miles of CRP with plenty of hills, gopher mounds, sweeping turns and into some tight twisty sections.  The second photo would be a really challenging stretch with deep snow, drifting, scrub brush, and a barbed wire fence on one side.  

IMG_20190317_091829.jpg

IMG_20190317_092222.jpg

I remember when that shit went from St. Paul to Winnipeg.  Good times.  My old man and a couple of his buddies did that race a few times in the mid/late 70's on the Mercs. Pretty sure they never made it past St.Cloud...ever.  :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I remember when that shit went from St. Paul to Winnipeg.  Good times.  My old man and a couple of his buddies did that race a few times in the mid/late 70's on the Mercs. Pretty sure they never made it past St.Cloud...ever.  :lol: 

I wish we'd have been able to run all the way to Willmar.  The 70's was the hayday of the I-500 and mainstream XC racing, IMO.

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I wish we'd have been able to run all the way to Willmar.  The 70's was the hayday of the I-500 and mainstream XC racing, IMO.

Yeah...no doubt.  Sled racing really found some solid roots in the 70's.  I remember it got my old man out of drag racing cars and into sleds.  I gotta see if she can send me some old pics.  Good times.   :bc:

God...I'm just now remembering his garage that was wall to wall and shelf to shelf sled parts.  I remember him making a plywood cover for his bass boat in the winter so he could use the space for engine rebuilding.   God those sleds were piles.  :lmao:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I will give him a lot more credit if he is riding out of Ironwood every day.  They really messed up trail 2 winding around the ski hills.  Not bad once and awhile, but every day could get old.

It is pretty amazing no matter where you ride.  I'm sure most people that meet Nick would not have a clue that he puts on that many miles.  Kinda feels like hanging out with the old timer guys.  He just goes out and rides a gazillion miles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah...no doubt.  Sled racing really found some solid roots in the 70's.  I remember it got my old man out of drag racing cars and into sleds.  I gotta see if she can send me some old pics.  Good times.   :bc:

God...I'm just now remembering his garage that was wall to wall and shelf to shelf sled parts.  I remember him making a plywood cover for his bass boat in the winter so he could use the space for engine rebuilding.   God those sleds were piles.  :lmao:

Back in the 70's, there were at least 5 endurance XC races (100 miles/day or more) within a couple hours of the farm, and who knows how many ice ovals, drags, etc. too.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Back in the 70's, there were at least 5 endurance XC races (100 miles/day or more) within a couple hours of the farm, and who knows how many ice ovals, drags, etc. too.  

I grew up on lake Minnetonka.  Always some type of racing going on there.  pick a bay and giv'r!  I wonder if that's why I hate straight line racing so much now?  Always some half-witted retard that can't pull a clutch that wants to line them up.  :lol: 

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I grew up on lake Minnetonka.  Always some type of racing going on there.  pick a bay and giv'r!  I wonder if that's why I hate straight line racing so much now?  Always some half-witted retard that can't pull a clutch that wants to line them up.  :lol: 

There was a guy a coupe grades below me in high school with a 99 ZR600 that would only want to race me in the lake.  No trails, no ditchs.  00 Sno-Pro 440 FTW!

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

God damn...rememeber how many brands there were?  Shit....all the colors of the rainbow out on the lakes back then.  Mostly in several pieces.  :lmao: 

When I picked up my xcr the dealer had a mini museum next door. Was a fun walk thru. 

https://covesidepolaris.com/Customer-Corner/Photo-Gallery

Just now, racinfarmer said:

There was a guy a coupe grades below me in high school with a 99 ZR600 that would only want to race me in the lake.  No trails, no ditchs.  00 Sno-Pro 440 FTW!

Yeah....it's a weird philosophy.  Lazy racing.  But, I get it...still kinda fun.  What's weird is, my buddy who used to race SX and XC will still want to line up on the powerline every so often.  I just shake my head...and go with it.  He hates that I can clutch and set my sled up better than he can.  :lol:  

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I still love the old vintage meets.  Just neat to see what used to be "the shit!" on the lakes.  

My old man said back when he was more youthful, one of the locals had a pretty hot RV Ski-Doo or some sort, but it was kind of like a top fuel drag car.  Pretty much was rebuilding it constantly.  :lol:

13 minutes ago, favoritos said:

I will give him a lot more credit if he is riding out of Ironwood every day.  They really messed up trail 2 winding around the ski hills.  Not bad once and awhile, but every day could get old.

It is pretty amazing no matter where you ride.  I'm sure most people that meet Nick would not have a clue that he puts on that many miles.  Kinda feels like hanging out with the old timer guys.  He just goes out and rides a gazillion miles.

I’ve talked to him a bunch of times. FYI, he is a concrete and brick contractor, so he has a lot of time in the winter.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, Woodtick said:

Any idea what year his Apex is? That right there is why I have faith/trust in my Vector when I am solo riding. I only have around 9,000 kms on it but I never worry about it leaving me stranded. If it only had better suspension and handling, then I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading. 

High mileage Yamaha.jpg

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, irv said:

Any idea what year his Apex is? That right there is why I have faith/trust in my Vector when I am solo riding. I only have around 9,000 kms on it but I never worry about it leaving me stranded. If it only had better suspension and handling, then I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading. 

High mileage Yamaha.jpg

He runs Vectors. He put 99900 on his last one. I think his current one is a 17? He is a world record holder for sled miles. Puts most of his miles on in the UP.

Edited by Woodtick
  • Like 1

On March 16, 2019 at 10:52 AM, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Nice, but I wouldn't have wasted your $ on the IR 1.50".  Should have just ordered it with a 1.25" RS1 and then swapped it out for a 1.50" RS2 and sold the RS1 on DY or CL. That's what I'll be doing :bc:

Pretty sure you can either do that or dealer will swap out stock shocks and give you so much $ credit towards whatever shock you choose.   

I took the free ice ripper upgrade deal so I saved quite a bit over doing a track swap and don't have the hassle. I hear a lot of people rave over the ripsaw 2 but I don't do any off trail and the 1 is really durable and fine on hardpack. Hopefully Doo wakes up and offers better tracks soon.

Just now, rump-rider said:

I took the free ice ripper upgrade deal so I saved quite a bit over doing a track swap and don't have the hassle. I hear a lot of people rave over the ripsaw 2 but I don't do any off trail and the 1 is really durable and fine on hardpack. Hopefully Doo wakes up and offers better tracks soon.

considering theres been better options for 10 years i doubt it

1 minute ago, rump-rider said:

1 1/4 Rip 1 is a great trail track

1 hour ago, rump-rider said:

I took the free ice ripper upgrade deal so I saved quite a bit over doing a track swap and don't have the hassle.

I hear a lot of people rave over the ripsaw 2

but I don't do any off trail and the 1 is really durable and fine on hardpack.

Hopefully Doo wakes up and offers better tracks soon.

Track swaps are easy.  1.5-2hr tops 

They are an awesome track.  Glad I listened when I was told it's what I should get.

I really don't do much off trail either.  Maybe 5-10% Max.  Closer to 5%.  Why I'm getting an MXZ and not another Renegade. 

Highly doubtful that's gonna happen 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

considering theres been better options for 10 years i doubt it

Unfortunately :flush:

1 hour ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

1 1/4 Rip 1 is a great trail track

1.25" RS2 is way better 

1 minute ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

No

Yup....put 1" of fluff on the trail and it turns into a floaty useless no hook piece of fuck. Worst track ever built. I probably have 15k miles on that pile of fuck. I should cut them off any sled that comes with it and then disassemble to change