Snow Tires for Daughters Lexus

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i put winterforces on the sons jeep they work well on one of the worst vehicles i've ever driven in the snow

Jim had one of those death traps . I remember one day we found ourselves going backwards at over 50 mph . Screw those things :lol:   :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Blizzman said:

why don't you buy a few sets of recommended winters? 

That way you can swap them out every few weeks like you do with sleds? :lol:

Seriously though, I run blizzaks and have since 99. Nothing compares IMO. 

Hahaha....that 's a bad problem I have....mental case.😂

Blizzaks do seem to be the shiznit and the ones I posted are damn near 800 bucks new so if I get these for 300 I'll be very happy.👍🏿

36 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

Jim had one of those death traps . I remember one day we found ourselves going backwards at over 50 mph . Screw those things :lol:   :bc:

Short wheelbase is not good in the ice and snow. When she goes sideways, she goes quickly. At least with a longer wheelbase you have time to recover.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

That's fucked up for a northern state.

Just about everyone I know up there run winter tires and say they don’t need studs. They rarely get ice storms, just lots of snow. Plus they sand the shit out of the roads.

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Just about everyone I know up there run winter tires and say they don’t need studs. They rarely get ice storms, just lots of snow. Plus they sand the shit out of the roads.

Same here with the exception of the sand. It's cold enough here that we have snow covered roads most of the winter. My last Nokian's on the Subaru weren't studded. I haven't done anything with the Escape yet, but will probably do something soon as I'm getting close to 20K on the original all seasons that it came with.

24 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

You can’t run them on any state Highway.

This is the old state law from the way back.      http://dmbinternet.state.mi.us/DMB/ORRDocs/AdminCode/100_10095_AdminCode.pdf                                                                            Thanks for your insight

5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

FWIW.  I always use blizzark but I asked the guy when I was getting my Duras on my truck which snow tire is really he best.  His answer:  the cheapest and told me why.  I bought it.  Now I don’t use snow tires anymore at all.  :lmao:

I have duratracs and they don’t come close to a true winter tire. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Agree on the used. people are always trading in vehicles and sitting on winters that don't fit the new ride.

Bought my son a set of 4 Michelin Ice X's for his Focus last year. $400, 85% tread, mounted on rims with sensors. He ran them last winter and we just mounted them on the car again today.

I've only been burn once buying used. I bought a set of 4 truck tires from an 80 year old guy in the dark one night. Tread was good so I paid him and loaded them up. The next day I looked closer. The fucking things must have been 15 years old, sidewalls were all cracked......lol....I threw them out.

I run blizzak ws80's on my Subaru. Fantastic tire. I did a winter rally race last year. Logging roads, OHV trails. All manners of off and on road. Lots of steep climbs with about 2 feet for snow on the ground. Never once had an issue or got stuck. Blew my mind what my Subaru could do and I know tires played a huge factor in it capabilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I'm a little late considering Marquette got 14 inches of snow last night but these look good...any ideas? 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=iceGUARD+iG51v&partnum=355TR8IG51V&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I’ve got the exact same tire on my wife’s Ford Escape, first season last year.  I/she really like them.  I’ve had other snow tires in the past that have squishy feeling sidewalks but these handle fine.  She previously had blizzaks on a previous vehicle and they were good also but the yoko’s have a more “open” tread pattern that I think would be far superior in the deep lake effect snow you get up there. Skinnier and taller is better of course.  

• Thanks 1