Obesity, attention deficit, mood disorders, chronic digestive issues, diabetes in america.

• Platinum Contributing Member
31 minutes ago, racer254 said:

LOL.  You really just have no comebacks is why you're mad.  Sorry for you luck.

There are no comebacks for a guy like you that routinely misses the point either intentionally or just because....

I don't miss the point at all, I just bring in counter points from the same groups and the one common denominator is that they all rely on money from the government and they all seem to be articles written by liberals.  Funny.

Edited by racer254

20 hours ago, racer254 said:

Isn't this funny.  They can't ever make up their mind.  BUT, AFJ says they are obese, yet other say 40 million people struggle with hunger in the United States, including more than 12 million children

I think at the very least it is worthy of discussion. Are Americans dying & racking up medical costs because of starvation or obesity?  Who exactly is overweight?  Is it  economic, racial,  gender, age, all across the board? 

My own fact less observation.   Last week we were at an 80's  concert.  I would say most everyone there was in our age group.  I was stuck by the amount of skinny women that  were there vs when we go to a regular club.  You would think it would be the other way around with  older women being heavier.  

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I think at the very least it is worthy of discussion. Are Americans dying & racking up medical costs because of starvation or obesity?  Who exactly is overweight?  Is it  economic, racial,  gender, age, all across the board? 

My own fact less observation.   Last week we were at an 80's  concert.  I would say most everyone there was in our age group.  I was stuck by the amount of skinny women that  were there vs when we go to a regular club.  You would think it would be the other way around with  older women being heavier.  

It probably depends where you go. It takes money and time to eat healthy food. Grabbing ready made food at the grocery store adds the lbs. It takes time and usually money to have time to work out.   

Most of the crowd our age are fit. But I think our generation was the first ones where women were into aerobics. I think it stuck with them. A lot of my wife’s friends regularly hit the gym. A lot of my friends board, sled, bike, kayak,run whatever.  Our motivation for staying fit is so we can keep doing the sports we like.  So we are usually reasonably fit.

Then you hit the grocery store and think that no one works out. 

When my kids were in university most of their friends were ripped. But then again they were people they met with similar interests. Climbing, mountain biking etc. 

At their graduation, I was surprised how out of shape many of the students were. 

Hopefully the health warnings get through to people. It’s expensive to take care of fatties. 

4 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

It probably depends where you go. It takes money and time to eat healthy food. Grabbing ready made food at the grocery store adds the lbs. It takes time and usually money to have time to work out.   

Most of the crowd our age are fit. But I think our generation was the first ones where women were into aerobics. I think it stuck with them. A lot of my wife’s friends regularly hit the gym. A lot of my friends board, sled, bike, kayak,run whatever.  Our motivation for staying fit is so we can keep doing the sports we like.  So we are usually reasonably fit.

Then you hit the grocery store and think that no one works out. 

When my kids were in university most of their friends were ripped. But then again they were people they met with similar interests. Climbing, mountain biking etc. 

At their graduation, I was surprised how out of shape many of the students were. 

Hopefully the health warnings get through to people. It’s expensive to take care of fatties. 

I think it is a lot more acceptable to be overweight.  I think packaged processed food is way more expensive.  I feel like a lot of these kids are getting big at a young age, from inactivity and as you get older it is way harder to shed pounds. 

3 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I think it is a lot more acceptable to be overweight.  I think packaged processed food is way more expensive.  I feel like a lot of these kids are getting big at a young age, from inactivity and as you get older it is way harder to shed pounds. 

When we took the kids to Disney years ago I was shocked at the amount of kids my kids age who were being pushed in rented scooters and the amount of people my parents age that were in motorized scooters.   Plus all the adults in scooters at grocery stores etc.  I wondered if 10-45 was the only ages people were expected to walk.  

23 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I think its completely the opposite.  The cheapest stuff is the most processed.  Eating healthy in general is more expensive calorie per calorie.   

Poor eating, lack of exercise, stress and plenty of alcohol and recreational/prescription drugs makes for a generally unhealthy population but for the most part we have nobody to blame but ourselves.  

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

When we took the kids to Disney years ago I was shocked at the amount of kids my kids age who were being pushed in rented scooters and the amount of people my parents age that were in motorized scooters.   Plus all the adults in scooters at grocery stores etc.  I wondered if 10-45 was the only ages people were expected to walk.  

Yeah,  same here.  

The scooter thing is very bizarre.  It is like bumper cars in the grocery store with all  overweight people on the scooters.   

I noticed last time I was down town the amount of electric scooters 🛴. Popping up everywhere.  The bikes you can rent, not so much. 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I think its completely the opposite.  The cheapest stuff is the most processed.  Eating healthy in general is more expensive calorie per calorie.   

Poor eating, lack of exercise, stress and plenty of alcohol and recreational/prescription drugs makes for a generally unhealthy population but for the most part we have nobody to blame but ourselves.  

I just push the kart, but next time I go , Ian going to pay more attention to prices. 

I do know a couple hundred dollars buys about a  half kart.  Food has definitely gotten a lot more expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I just push the kart, but next time I go , Ian going to pay more attention to prices. 

I do know a couple hundred dollars buys about a  half kart.  Food has definitely gotten a lot more expensive. 

I'm talking calorie per calorie.   If you were to eat 2000 calories of food per day its more expensive to do fresh than unprocessed.     

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I agree 

I'm talking calorie per calorie.   If you were to eat 2000 calories of food per day its more expensive to do fresh than unprocessed.     

It’s not just the cost at the grocery store.  In order to eat healthy you need the time to prepare the food. Making a salad vs nuking a hot pocket or whatever people nuke nowadays. 

21 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

It’s not just the cost at the grocery store.  In order to eat healthy you need the time to prepare the food. Making a salad vs nuking a hot pocket or whatever people nuke nowadays. 

True.   In any case calorie intake and exercise are some of the biggest factors in healthy living.   

Indeed.  Indeed.  Also, the cheapest is the best tasting so, it's tough to not grab a family size bag of doritoes for the same price as a bag of oranges.

A lot of the diners around here and the grocery stores have food prepared pretty much the same plain way we do it ourselves.  It costs more but its there.

I find the bigger issue with restaurants while on the road as we rarely eat out at home.  Everything prepared in butter etc, you can ask to have it without, and the portions in the US, are you kidding me.

2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

I’ve also wondered what the media message was really doing. 

Fear of anorexia

no fat shaming

be satisfied with your body etc. 

Vs the 70’s and 80’s where they were encouraging fitness

Yes, lets bring that back.  Can't have a commercial without some fat chicks to make it look normal.

I was watching a news program, I think it originated in some women’s magazine.  

They were making the claim that maybe be overweight isn’t necessarily bad. 

Common sense should tell you if you strap an extra 50 - 100 lbs on your back it is going to be harder on your body. 

1 hour ago, Cold War said:

I was watching a news program, I think it originated in some women’s magazine.  

They were making the claim that maybe be overweight isn’t necessarily bad. 

Common sense should tell you if you strap an extra 50 - 100 lbs on your back it is going to be harder on your body. 

To hell with 50, put 20lbs in a back pack and walk around with it all day. 

someone said that if obese people could spend a day in a fit persons body that would be all the motivation they need.

I disagree, how many college or high school "athletes" let themselves go to shit when it doesn't turn into a career option.

I don't understand how they can put the two messages together:  obesity is an epidemic and be proud of being fat. 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes, lets bring that back.  Can't have a commercial without some fat chicks to make it look normal.

I much prefer the tv sitcoms where the woman is fit as fuck and the guy is a fat slob. 

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

Not calorie for calorie. I just googled Tyson chicken fingers -$7.99 2#. Fresh chicken breast average $3.80#. No breading so less calories, but 1 minute cutting and seasoning, bake and enjoy, for a much healthier meal.

6 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

• Thanks 1