Just never know.

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A friend of mine that owns a roofing business lost his footing and fell three stories of a church roof on Monday. No safety harness and he blew through two stops before leaving the roof. Paralyzed from the nipple line down. Bad day. 

Sucks.

See it all the time though.  Saw it just last week on a busy corner.  Three old guys dancing around on an old 2.5 story 12/12 pitch roof with nothing but a couple of plank ladders and a sidewalk to break their fall.  I even pointed it out to my wife.  Smh.

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

A friend of mine that owns a roofing business lost his footing and fell three stories of a church roof on Monday. No safety harness and he blew through two stops before leaving the roof. Paralyzed from the nipple line down. Bad day. 

One of my best friends is in a chair. Wouldn’t wish that on anybody.😟

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Sucks.

See it all the time though.  Saw it just last week on a busy corner.  Three old guys dancing around on an old 2.5 story 12/12 pitch roof with nothing but a couple of plank ladders and a sidewalk to break their fall.  I even pointed it out to my wife.  Smh.

He’s at UW Madison hospital. I’m driving down tomorrow to see him and hi wife. I don’t even know what to say. 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

He’s at UW Madison hospital. I’m driving down tomorrow to see him and hi wife. I don’t even know what to say. 

i always get flustered in those situations.. dont deal well with them.. Sorry about your friend and for his family..

11 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It sucks....Not to be asshole about it....But why wasn't he wearing a safety harness? 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Had a buddy in HS get drunk and jumped on his Ninja at 2am. None of us thought to stop him. He never walked again.  

I guess I don’t know what to tell you.  There’s nothing you can say.  Just try to lighten the mood where and when you can.  I remember him telling us later that it really depressed him seeing a roomfull of sad people that felt sorry for him.  How could we have hidden it?  

I wish you (and him) luck.

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Not much you can say. Just be there for him and help him in any way you can. That’s what I did. 

Hes going to be depressed for a while. Maybe you can help with that. It’s quite isolating being stuck in a chair. It’s just so much harder doing anything.

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I don’t know. Roofer’s ego probably. It only takes that one time. 

I've done shit on roofs that make me cringe now. Did a steeple without protection at 40' with just boards once. Done plenty of shit like that as a kid

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

i always get flustered in those situations.. dont deal well with them.. Sorry about your friend and for his family..

Me too, but I think most people don't know either as well.

8 minutes ago, T1R9sledder said:

It sucks....Not to be asshole about it....But why wasn't he wearing a safety harness? 

Most roofers that I see shingling a roof never have one on. I am sure there are laws in certain States/Provinces, that depending on high up you are, one must be worn but I am sure some choose not to wear it in hopes of not getting caught.

Sorry to hear about your friend, AFJ. 

Edited by irv

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Could be.... very true....a high classmate of mine was working part-time for a painter years ago. One miss step off the staging and a broken back. In a chair until he died of cancer a few months ago.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Had a buddy in HS get drunk and jumped on his Ninja at 2am. None of us thought to stop him. He never walked again.  

I guess I don’t know what to tell you.  There’s nothing you can say.  Just try to lighten the mood where and when you can.  I remember him telling us later that it really depressed him seeing a roomfull of sad people that felt sorry for him.  How could we have hidden it?  

I wish you (and him) luck.

I watched as the kid came out of the gutter and criminal activity to become a decent man. He built a good life for himself and started to raise a family. So there’s that. 

25 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

More than likely that's the case, sad deal for sure. When it comes to construction and especially higher risk stuff like roofing, safety is the name of the game.... period. Good luck with your visit, it certainly has to be difficult but right now your friend needs support from family and friends. :bc:

A roofer slid off our 2 story abouit 30 years ago. Not hurt too bad, that I know of.

A buddy of mine fell off a fukken ladder, smashed his back, all kind sof bruises.

A roofer I know of with 14 years experience, fell 8 feet.....................GONZO!!

I have an insane fear of heights...........can't stand going up on the roofs. 

Roofing is fucking dangerous. We do alot of work on roofs and we are over the top on safety. there is a lot of shit that can go wrong. Their comp rates can be over 50% which should tell you something. 

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The guy is built like a Brahma bull. That fall would’ve killed a normal human being. Ugh. 

Personally, I would rather be dead, than a tomato in a fukking wheelchair. Rather not be a burden that others have to care for, til I die. Nothing like a good massive heart attack, when you,re number is up. 

19 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Personally, I would rather be dead, than a tomato in a fukking wheelchair. Rather not be a burden that others have to care for, til I die. Nothing like a good massive heart attack, when you,re number is up. 

Yrs ago I had a dude that worked for me leave and go to work for a bud. He fell in a framing accident and was in a chair for 15 yrs. When he OD'd on heroin those that knew him well said he never did heroin, it was suicide.

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Wow, really puts things in perspective.  That is awful.  Heard this too many times. I am  all done crawling around on roof . 

I used to frame and then do the occasional roof. When the rear of my house needed to be done 3 yrs ago I hired someone else. Fuck that shit.

• Like 1