Heat Pump Question

revrnd

Does anyone have any experience w/ adding a heat pump (for supplemental heating) to an existing electric forced air furnace? Getting various comments like we would need to get a new furnace. The existing electric furnace has hardly been used since most of the time we've been heating w/ wood.

Also in you know of a reputable heat pump business in Ptbo County that you'd recommend it would be great.

Adding a heat pump to a an existing air handler should be a relatively easy task asking as air handler is in decent shape,  if you have the land and coin for it Geo would be my option it gives far more heat fro  the heat pump and air source isn't the greatest option for our climate ( to much defrost time)

Edited by Garrettv
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yamadoo said:

we have a heat pump at our cottage and propane furnace. I found the heat pump was a waste of time when it got cold last winter.

it does a great job cooling in summer though.

Exactly why geo is really the best option for our climate and a heat pump with gas furncae is always a pain as you cant run both together cause the gas portion is always upstream of heat pump coil but with a electric the heat pump coil is usually always upstream of electric banks so you can run heat oump then run electric to bump the temperature more coukd never run gas at same time as heat pump 

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking to replace the hot water tank to a boiler for our infloor. This was the 3rd guy we had in for a quote and seemed to know what he was talking about compared to the 1st two. It wasn't so much as the price it was getting it done right and not some hack trying to patch it in. I think he mentioned heat pumps as well and when he comes back I'll ask him

6 hours ago, smokin george said:

We are looking to replace the hot water tank to a boiler for our infloor. This was the 3rd guy we had in for a quote and seemed to know what he was talking about compared to the 1st two. It wasn't so much as the price it was getting it done right and not some hack trying to patch it in. I think he mentioned heat pumps as well and when he comes back I'll ask him

I know two people who have recently built new homes slab on grade with in floor heating and have used the gas on demand water heaters and are more than happy with the performance and operating costs 

6 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I know two people who have recently built new homes slab on grade with in floor heating and have used the gas on demand water heaters and are more than happy with the performance and operating costs 

They installed a hotwater tank for dual purpose and efficient it is definitely not. We've already switched over to an electric tank for hot water and the boiler will be strictly for the floor which should provide some savings.

Change of direction

Decided to go w/ a new propane furnace (replacing electric) & AC unit. All quotes include installing piping & removal of old equipment.

So far 3 quotes (taxes in)

KeepRite - $7232 

Lennox - $8978

Napoleon - $9548

I've noticed that several HVAC outfits in the Peterborough area carry KeepRite (including the Lennox dealer). I'm curious why the price for the KeepRite install is $1700 less than the Lennox quote. Is the KeepRite a "lower level" unit compared to the Lennox brand (Hercules or Kumho tires vs a Goodyear or Michelin). Or is the Lennox dealer padding his quote?

I wasn't really impressed w/ the Keeprite guy, older w/ many years in the business. Basically said that all brands of furnaces are made by 6 manufacturers & they all use the same components. IMO, he was taking a shot @ the other brands. The other 2 chaps stuck to their brand & didn't bad mouth competitive brands.

We've had a Lennox AC for 30 years & haven't had a problem w/ it. I'm leaning towards the Lennox. I've never heard of KeepRite & hate to have problems down the road. This whole HVAC thing is pretty much foreign to me. All I know is I'm leery of going cheap. I had a couple of problems w/ the oil furnace (made in the mid 70s) in my house. The way the blower fan motor was mounted internally it looked like it was cobbled together in someone's garage.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

Change of direction

Decided to go w/ a new propane furnace (replacing electric) & AC unit. All quotes include installing piping & removal of old equipment.

KeepRite - $7232 

Lennox - $8978

Napoleon - $9548

I've noticed that several HVAC outfits in the Peterborough area carry KeepRite (including the Lennox dealer). I'm curious why the price for the KeepRite install is $1700 less than the Lennox quote. Is the KeepRite a "lower level" unit compared to the Lennox brand (Hercules or Kumho tires vs a Goodyear or Michelin). Or is the Lennox dealer padding his quote?

I wasn't really impressed w/ the Keeprite guy, older w/ many years in the business. Basically said that all brands of furnaces are made by 6 manufacturers & they all use the same components. IMO, he was taking a shot @ the other brands. The other 2 chaps stuck to their brand & didn't bad mouth competitive brands.

We've had a Lennox AC for 30 years & haven't had a problem w/ it. I'm leaning towards the Lennox. I've never heard of KeepRite & hate to have problems down the road. This whole HVAC thing is pretty much foreign to me. All I know is I'm leery of going cheap. I had a couple of problems w/ the oil furnace (made in the mid 70s) in my house. The way the blower fan motor was mounted internally it looked like it was cobbled together in someone's garage.

Did you check out geothermal?

with all the government bs lately about carbon tax and footprint geothermal is going to be the way to go.

We had an AC unit made by Keeprite at home and it was the energizer bunny of AC. They are also large in commercial AC for rooftop condensers. I used them for our data centre cooling and they ran basically non stop year round due to the constant need for cooling. I don't know how they are for furnaces but if they're anything like the AC they are rock solid in dependability. Look at the efficiency rating and see if you're equal on all. Often you pay for a name and their marketing campaign and the only reason they have a name is they spend a lot on marketing so everyone knows the name. They have to have a reliable unit as well or the marketing is wasted but they have to pay for all the slick ads. Hence a higher price.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Change of direction

KeepRite - $7232 

Lennox - $8978

Napoleon - $9548

More than likely true.

33 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Did you check out geothermal?

with all the government bs lately about carbon tax and footprint geothermal is going to be the way to go.

That is what I want to do.  Come on Wynnebag.

On October 5, 2016 at 11:05 PM, revrnd said:

Change of direction

KeepRite - $7232 

Lennox - $8978

Napoleon - $9548

Keep Rite have been around since AC was invented. The are owned by ICP (international comfort products). I've been installing keeprite for over 30 years with barely a hicup. They are also inbed with Carrier. Make sure you are going for one of their higher end units. G9MVE or G9MXT. Both are 2 stage the VE has variable speed fan. They come with 10yr warrenty and lifetime on heat exchanger. One nice thing about KeepRite is the ease of getting parts, if required. The price seems fair especially if you are switching from oil. Also don't go for a model that starts with N that is builders quality and has cheaper components. As for AC if you go for the 13seer in combination you will get 14 to 15 seer. If you go for G4X6 it will give you 16 seer cooling. But it has a large foot print. Just my 10cents. 

Edited by 3rdof5

1 hour ago, 3rdof5 said:

Keep Rite have been around since AC was invented. The are owned by ICP (international comfort products). I've been installing keeprite for over 30 years with barely a hicup. They are also inbed with Carrier. Make sure you are going for one of their higher end units. G9MVE or G9MXT. Both are 2 stage the VE has variable speed motor. The price seems fair especially if you are switching from oil. Also don't go for a model that starts with N that is builders quality and has cheaper components. As for AC if you go for the 13seer in combination you will get 14 to 15 seer. If you go for G4X6 it will give you 16 seer cooling. But it has a large foot print. Just my 10cents. 

No mention of a model number on the quote.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

No mention of a model number on the quote.

I would question that. You need to know what model you are getting. There are different models. Builder, ECM motor, two stage with ECM motor, two stage variable speed ecm motor. All make a difference in price.  I myself would go with the G9MVE model. The 2 stage allows the furnace to run run at half rated output until full output is required to keep up with heatloss. And it also helps eliminate cold spots in house keeping the house at a more even temp.