Trudeau wants your private banking info!

irv

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-big-brother-feds-want-your-private-banking-info

It sounds like a conspiracy theory, something Justin Trudeau’s most unhinged critics would dream up.

And yet it is true.

Not only is it true but on Monday, Trudeau gave a full defence of an idea most would consider crazy.

Statistics Canada is about to require Canada’s nine biggest banks and credit unions to turn over highly personal data about their customers and not tell the customer. That includes name, address, social insurance number and every single banking transaction that person does in a year.

(WATCH above for Lilley’s visceral take on camera!)

•  
  •  
  •  

That means every deposit, withdrawal, bill payment, overdraft charge, credit card fee, mortgage payment and more.

Essentially, your life will be laid bare for a government bureaucrat to look over.

And the best part is, you won’t get to know about it.

The bank won’t be allowed to tell you they’ve handed over your data or ask for your consent.

When this story first broke the other day, via leaked letters sent to Canada’s banks, I thought maybe the government would step in.

Not Justin Trudeau.

In the House of Commons, Trudeau defended the move and attacked those who raised concerns as being anti-data.

What next? Call us data phobes?

I’m not anti-data but I am against my data being passed around without my knowledge or consent.

Trudeau though sees StatsCan getting all of your personal information as vital to providing services to Canadians.

“High quality and timely data are critical to ensuring that government programs remain relevant and effective for Canadians,” Trudeau told the House.

Translation. If we know more about you, like everything you do, the government can better plan your life.

Trudeau tried to assure the House that StatsCan was working with the Privacy Commissioner to ensure personal data is not made public.

That is not the point.

Why the hell are they taking it in the first place?

If you need to seize the banking records of Canadians without their knowledge or consent to better design government programs, maybe you’ve gone too far. Maybe your vision of government is a bit too Big Brother.

This could soon be a massive database and while we are told that any private information would be stripped before it becomes public, that private information would stay on government servers.

And the 500,000 Canadians whose banking records were seized in 2019 would become 1,000,000 Canadians in 2020 and grow from there.

The plan is to seize the banking records of 500,000 Canadians each and every year.

In the past, StatsCan has lost sensitive files that contained personal information. Some was left on a subway, other information was in the car of an employee when it was stolen.

So don’t tell me everything will be OK.

In his defence of this incredibly intrusive move Trudeau claimed the Conservatives “stopped the long-form census” because they don’t like data.

“Their attacks on data and information continue,” Trudeau said.

That is patently false.

The Conservatives stopped threatening to throw people into jail for refusing to fill out the long-form census.

Data experts, such as Darrell Bricker, CEO of Ipsos Public Affairs, the world’s largest polling firm, called out people like Trudeau at the time.

Bricker told the House of Commons in 2012 that going to a voluntary census would not compromise the data.

It’s the same message he has now as the government seeks to forcibly seize banking records.

Bricker says people will give up all kinds of information with the right incentive.

“The private sector does it all the time, they incentivize people,” Bricker said.

Well Trudeau isn’t using a carrot, he’s using a stick.

Canada’s big banks and credit unions may not like this move but there is little they can do. The way the law is written now, they will be required to hand over everything you do without even telling you.

To Justin Trudeau that is a good thing.

If you think otherwise, you might be a dataphobe.

Does it seem odd that the large Canadian news networks are pretty quiet on this issue. To me, my banking info is some of the most private property I have. I would think the citizens of Canada may feel the same way.

5 minutes ago, Pt3189 said:

Does it seem odd that the large Canadian news networks are pretty quiet on this issue. To me, my banking info is some of the most private property I have. I would think the citizens of Canada may feel the same way.

NO it doesn't. Large Canadian Networks are begging for Liberal dollars.

2019 cant come soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Pt3189 said:

This was reported a while ago by all media, just they didn't do THE SUN HYPE spin on it.

REAL MEDIA 

500,000 randomly chosen Canadians, including everything from bill payments to cash withdrawals from ATMs to credit card payments and even account balances.

THE SUN

Statistics Canada is about to require Canada’s nine biggest banks and credit unions to turn over highly personal data about their customers and not tell the customer. That includes name, address, social insurance number and every single banking transaction that person does in a year.

I choose REAL MEDIA 

When Stats Can releases stats on Citizen saving,, or how much we owe or buy on credit cards, where is this info taken from? 

Got to love Election time when the best twists are brought to life 

3 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

This was reported a while ago by all media, just they didn't do THE SUN HYPE spin on it.

REAL MEDIA 

500,000 randomly chosen Canadians, including everything from bill payments to cash withdrawals from ATMs to credit card payments and even account balances.

THE SUN

I choose REAL MEDIA 

When Stats Can releases stats on Citizen saving,, or how much we owe or buy on credit cards, where is this info taken from? 

Got to love Election time when the best twists are brought to life 

Does Global count?  Good you're a cash only guy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4608105/trudeau-defends-statistics-canada-move-to-collect-banking-info-of-500000-canadians/

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That is what I quoted from - :dunno:  I don't like THE SUN SPIN OF HATE 

The reason this isn't a big deal in the public eye isn't because of the MEDIA it is because most people don't give a shit....

Personally I think having a neighbour working at the bank, knowing your balances, withdraws, and payments is more of an issue?  HOW about you?

What a f*cking idiot! Anyone who believes this horseshit need their head read!! 

“High quality and timely data are critical to ensuring that government programs remain relevant and effective for Canadians,” the prime minister said.

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

The reason this isn't a big deal in the public eye isn't because of the MEDIA it is because most people don't give a shit....

Personally I think having a neighbour working at the bank, knowing your balances, withdraws, and payments is more of an issue?  HOW about you?

Most people don't know about it nor know/understand the implications of it. This is a slippery slope that has nothing to do with programs. 

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Most people don't know about it nor know/understand the implications of it. This is a slippery slope that has nothing to do with programs. 

what slope is this?  

at TAX time your INTEREST TOTAL is sent to CRA 

all transactions over 10k are reported immediately

Jane at the bank knowing you go to the LCBO 4 times a week is more concerning too me. 

25 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Hmm, perhaps that's why I get inundated with about 25 calls a year from junior achievers on what they can do for me,  more like what I can do for them.  Is that the source?:lol:

Fucking worse than air duct cleaners.

It is a big deal, a privacy one.  Imagine if Harper did this, the outrage.

14 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

what slope is this?  

Jane at the bank knowing you go to the LCBO 4 times a week is more concerning too me. 

Like I already said, Trail, if you think this invasion of privacy has anything to do with Gov't programs, you need your head read!  Trudope's "programs" like CPP and OAS, etc, and how much you are going to get when you're eligible to draw from those after paying into them your whole life, is what he really means. 

Again, are you OK with that? :dunno:

38 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

what slope is this?  

You got to have quite a bit sitting in a bank account making 0.25% before anything needs to go to CRA.

Investments more like it, but Jane won't have access to that.

22 minutes ago, irv said:

Like I already said, Trail, if you think this invasion of privacy has anything to do with Gov't programs, you need your head read!  Trudope's "programs" like CPP and OAS, etc, and how much you are going to get when you're eligible to draw from those after paying into them your whole life, is what he really means. 

Go more towards cash whenever you can.  Fucking Trudeau.

8 hours ago, irv said:

bit of a stretch IRV 

Do you really think Trudeau ordered this?  I don't

I not a fan on any intrusive shit.  Not going to lose sleep over this, if the names are kept off what difference could it make?

between your Debit, your Phone, and Google there isn't much secret left :lol: 

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

bit of a stretch IRV 

Do you really think Trudeau ordered this?  I don't

I not a fan on any intrusive shit.  Not going to lose sleep over this, if the names are kept off what difference could it make?

between your Debit, your Phone, and Google there isn't much secret left :lol: 

The names addresses and SIN numbers are included. Your hero defended it. They will collect every banking activity, bill payments, online purchases, deposits, cash withdrawals... all of it.

7 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

link 

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-statscan-has-already-seized-reams-of-private-financial-info

This is from AC's link above. Read it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4610259/statcan-canadian-personal-credit-bureau-data/

Statistics Canada, which has broad powers to compel any organization to turn over data that organization collects, directed the credit bureau TransUnion of Canada Inc., based in Burlington, Ont., to provide social insurance numbers, names, addresses, dates-of-birth and detailed credit information, including balances owed, balances overdue, and more than 30 other fields or categories of data.

4 hours ago, irv said:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-statscan-has-already-seized-reams-of-private-financial-info

This is from AC's link above. Read it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4610259/statcan-canadian-personal-credit-bureau-data/

Statistics Canada, which has broad powers to compel any organization to turn over data that organization collects, directed the credit bureau TransUnion of Canada Inc., based in Burlington, Ont., to provide social insurance numbers, names, addresses, dates-of-birth and detailed credit information, including balances owed, balances overdue, and more than 30 other fields or categories of data.

Statistics Canada has said that once the data is compiled by the agency it will be made anonymous in order to remove personal identifiers and said it has informed the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada of the initiative it hopes to have up and running by January.

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

Statistics Canada has said that once the data is compiled by the agency it will be made anonymous in order to remove personal identifiers and said it has informed the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada of the initiative it hopes to have up and running by January.

Come on Fail, the less they know the better.

You use cash only still right?