Gouverneur Rimouski Hotels
Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo - my first hike of the season
20170614170454345.jpg

Denis Lavoie

Read all his articles

2018-10-29

Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo - my first hike of the 2019 season

Since its announcement last February, all projectors are turned to the Rotax 900 ACE Turbo engine. Indeed, snowmobilers have many expectations for this 150 hp machine. 

Last spring, I had the opportunity to briefly ride some snowmobiles equipped with this engine. ( Read ... ) These tests gave me a little insight, but nothing like rolling a machine over a longer period to really see what she is capable of. In addition, in the spring we had tried prototypes while today we talk about production models.

Of course, the Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo is certainly the snowmobile that offers the best platform to really make the most of the engine. So I'm very lucky to be able to test it during the next season.

Start testing on October 27th ...

Before giving you my first impressions of this snowmobile, I want to specify that we were in conditions of beginning of season and that naturally, there were no surfaced trails. However, there was between 30 cm and 40 cm of compact snow on the ground. Thus, we could not "open the machine" as much as we wanted, since there were often traces of pickup and jeep in the paths that we borrowed. In addition, it must be understood that the machine is in running.

Now, let's get down to business! 

As soon as we start the engine, we are quickly captivated by the sound of the latter. It is clear that the people of Ski-Doo have stopped on this aspect and the result is really successful. We do not speak here of a sound of motor, but of a music which leaves nobody indifferent. When you press the accelerator, it's even better.

Engine response

When the throttle is pressed, the engine responds quickly and energetically. We are entitled to good acceleration ... Oops ... We are in normal mode ... Let's go into sport mode. Phew, when the engine is idling and switch from normal mode to sport mode, we hear the engine "change range". We guess that the performances will be different. Acceleration thrusts are actually stronger. Wow! No worries here, we feel very well the 150 horses that develop this engine. No hesitation!

I must admit that I preferred to use the normal mode in places where the trail was more rugged or tortuous. Indeed, the engine in sport mode is in these circumstances too spirited to make the ride comfortable. However, when you arrive in more linear sectors or with less pronounced curves, you go into sport mode in order to release all the ardor of the 900 ACE Turbo.

Of course, this is my very first contact this season and in the next few months I will be able to tell you more.

Renegade X-RS - First successful appointment ...

Over the years, the X-RS sets have always caught my heart of snowmobiling and the current version of the Renegade X-RS continues this "tradition". From my first kilometers with this snowmobile, I felt very comfortable. Yes, I felt the front a little heavier, since it is after all a 4-stroke engine in the front. This naturally has an impact with which we must deal, but having driven many four-stroke snowmobiles for fifteen years, I quickly got used to the particular behavior of this X-RS.

On the suspended side, the only adjustment I made was the preload I usually place at around 3.25. For the rest, in conditions of early season, I did not dwell on finding the best fit possible. I do this later when the trails start to open. My hike was very comfortable.

At the control level, after getting used to the weight factor of the front of the snowmobile, it was very predictable. We did not have excessively difficult conditions, so the opposite would have been surprising.

Cockpit

The driving position is very ergonomic. Everything is in its place. In addition, with the adjustable handlebars, the Renegade X-RS allows the driver to adjust the handlebars to his or her preferences. I will, however, have to get used to the mechanical reversing control since in recent years, I had the electric control directly on the handlebars. We agree that it is very minor.

An addition I'm going to have to make on this snowmobile is a medium windshield. The tiny series windshield is super stylish, but will not offer enough protection against the wind when the cold weather arrives.

In short, this is a first appointment and successful Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo and I will certainly have several other outings together in the coming months!

Good season to all !

comments

Our most recent articles

Snowtracker
Gero Snowmobiles
Abitibi-Temiscamingue Tourism
Intact Insurance
FCMQ-Speed
Chenail du Nord Outfitter
Outdoor Center Mont-Vilain
Soucy Group

About 

Useful links 

Management 

logo_passions.png

Member of the PassionsMotorisés.com network

Any reproduction, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of the Magazine Motoneiges.ca and Passions Motorized Site designed, developed and hosted by PassionsMotorisees.com

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blizzman said:

I can read and understand it all, but I'm not about to start translating.

Use google translate...

This!  Been using this to read foreign news for years.  Gotta go outside North America to get the real news anymore.

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Will have to wait for reviews with a tune so it has real hp

Stage 1 tunes only picking up 20hp. 170 or so optimistically.....just like I fucking said

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Stage 1 tunes only picking up 20hp. 170 or so optimistically.....just like I fucking said

Which would be more hp then anythung they currently have 

1 minute ago, JEFF said:

For a trail sled it's probably going to be a good machine. If you must go break neck speed from bar to bar it's probably not the machine for you. 

Agreed 

7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Which would be more hp then anythung they currently have 

Yes....but retarded ass faggots over on DT thought they would just get a "chip" and have 200HP ON 87 PUMP 

Fucking morons over there are so dumb

2 minutes ago, JEFF said:

For a trail sled it's probably going to be a good machine. If you must go break neck speed from bar to bar it's probably not the machine for you. 

I'm sure it's a fine sled....its just not a muscle sled or even close

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Yes....but retarded ass faggots over on DT thought they would just get a "chip" and have 200HP ON 87 PUMP 

Fucking morons over there are so dumb

Lmao well that’s not going to happen. Hp comes from boost and fuel and boost raises combustion temps so... need more octane.

190-200 on e85 or c16 maybe 

Edited by Rod Johnson

IDK, the 900T is roughly 6 lbs of boost so you said that the 1200 was faster at 30% of the boost. I'm not that bright but wouldn't that be 2 lbs of boost? sorry if I misunderstood. I'm assuming that the 1200 had a turbo.

Edited by J. Jackson