Steel workers get the largest raise in years of stagnant wages under Obama

BOHICA

I just got the email that I passed the electrical assessment for US Steel. It was pretty tough actually. It would be over a $20 per hour pay cut from where I am right now but its still good money and would get me home to MN.

Let’s not get too carried away here. They were threatening to strike if their demands for higher pay weren’t met. This wasn’t out of the goodness of US Steel’s heart. It was out of necessity. Record profits and they had no intention of sharing that until threats of strike came up. 

Just now, f7ben said:

I just got the email that I passed the electrical assessment for US Steel. It was pretty tough actually. It would be over a $20 per hour pay cut from where I am right now but its still good money and would get me home to MN.

Steve and Ojibwa Jawn were saying there were some large signing bonuses built into the new contract from all this.

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Let’s not get too carried away here. They were threatening to strike if their demands for higher pay weren’t met. This wasn’t out of the goodness of US Steel’s heart. It was out of necessity. Record profits and they had no intention of sharing that until threats of strike came up. 

That is the issue with Union labor and Management. Its adversarial by nature with neither side really concerned about the other.

Cleveland Cliffs on the other hand gave the union basically all they wanted and told them thanks and lets make money!

Just now, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Steve and Ojibwa Jawn were saying there were some large signing bonuses built into the new contract from all this.

I wouldnt say large......they got 5k. US Steels profit share isnt very good either.....they still have a pension which I wouldnt value at any more than the paper its printed on though.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

But Us steel wouldn’t of had room to negotiate what the union wants and got if it wasn’t for the trump administration.  These wages the union got are a direct result of Trump’s policies.

being in a union myself both sides playing hard ball is what happens in negiotations and necessary for both sides.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

But Us steel wouldn’t of had room to negotiate what the union wants and got if it wasn’t for the trump administration.  These wages the union got are a direct result of Trump’s policies.

being in a union myself both sides playing hard ball is what happens in negiotations and necessary for both sides.

True. The policies of this admin helped. Glad they are going to make some more money, but I don’t think anyone can nominate US Steel for company of the year. 

My info is from two guys that work for them. 

Edited by xtralettucetomatoe580

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

US Steel would not be in business any longer had Trump no won......they were bleeding money at a rate that was unsustainable. 

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

True. The policies of this admin helped. Glad they are going to make some more money, but I don’t think anyone can nominate US Steel for company of the year. 

My info is from two guys that work for them. 

I doubt the unionized employees would be the employees of the year either.  If it’s unionized employer, threats and holding each other hostage is practiced everyday....  but it works and works well for both sides!

Edited by BOHICA

40 minutes ago, f7ben said:

US Steel would not be in business any longer had Trump no won......they were bleeding money at a rate that was unsustainable. 

From the brink of insolvency to almost a billion dollars in facility upgrades and 15% pay increases across the board in a few short months?

sounds legit. :news: 

5 minutes ago, frenchy said:

From the brink of insolvency to almost a billion dollars in facility upgrades and 15% pay increases across the board in a few short months?

sounds legit. :news: 

Take a look at their quarterly performance for the last 5 years and get back to me. They were losing nearly a billion dollars a quarter , drowning in debt and shuttering facilities. They have historically low utilization rates when compared to their peers , avoid investment and infrastructure upgrades and are generally a very poorly run company. 

If it wasnt for this massive resurgence in steel they were headed for a chap 11

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Take a look at their quarterly performance for the last 5 years and get back to me. They were losing nearly a billion dollars a quarter , drowning in debt and shuttering facilities. They have historically low utilization rates when compared to their peers , avoid investment and infrastructure upgrades and are generally a very poorly run company. 

If it wasnt for this massive resurgence in steel they were headed for a chap 11

I wouldn’t call the results of tarriffs a resurgence. Unless the plan is to keep them indefinitely. 

Just now, frenchy said:

I wouldn’t call the results of tarriffs a resurgence. Unless the plan is to keep them indefinitely. 

Did I mention tariffs? Overall market conditions , bolstered by the tariffs and strong demand have lead to excellent margins. It is one of the best periods of activity for the steel industry in 2 decades. If a steel company isnt making a pile of cash right now they are doomed. 

US Steel did not have long to live if things hadnt turned around the way they did. They were at a junk credit rating and paying astronomical rates servicing their massive debt. I recall reading an article where they were forced to finance a mature note at nearly 15% interest. 

5 minutes ago, JEFF said:

So is US paper and printing. :news:

Sweet fuck.  Dude, you just pantsed his diapers!  I hope you had your mouth closed.  :lol:

Just when I think he can't get fucking :owned: any worse......he ups his idiocy!!!  AMAZING.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Sweet fuck.  Dude, you just pantsed his diapers!  I hope you had your mouth closed.  :lol:

Just when I think he can't get fucking :owned: any worse......he ups his idiocy!!!  AMAZING.

To be fair you're an expert on  being an idiot 

xgz9nkR.gif