Sled Show

Poncho

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

Is it just me or is the show shrinking in size?  Seems smaller than previous years.  Website was terrible, link to homepage goes to a blank display, should have hired Fail to fix.  Could not find a map of exhibitors online.

It seemed a bit smaller than in the past. The parking lot seemed to have a lot more empty spaces when I was leaving around dinner time Friday than usual as well. I think moving the outdoor events indoors took up a lot of space that was otherwise occupied by vendors in past years. There were a number of vendors I'm used to seeing that were conspicuously absent. After leaving the show I was considering if it will be worth going next year.... shocked myself when I thought that. One of the main reasons I go is to collect all the maps. D 7/8/10.... no maps on Friday. D 10 none last year on the Friday either and those are the maps I use the most. If there is something in particular I need I will likely go. Otherwise I may pass on it.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Try a non retail show in the US with the same footprint, about 15-20K for 4 days and most of the customers are also staying in the hotels and many flying in.

I was in a corporate booth a few years ago in Las Vegas as part of a conference. The booth space was $18K for 3 days. They supplied 1 table, a back curtain and 1 chair.

4 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I was in a corporate booth a few years ago in Las Vegas as part of a conference. The booth space was $18K for 3 days. They supplied 1 table, a back curtain and 1 chair.

It costs more to ship equipment from the convention centre dock to the booth than it does to ship it from Canada to the convention centre dock.:true:

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It costs more to ship equipment from the convention centre dock to the booth than it does to ship it from Canada to the convention centre dock.:true:

Very true... and you're not allowed to bring it in yourself.... at least we couldn't for the conference in Vegas. Against union rules. I don't remember what it was for an extra chair but it was over $100 for the duration.

14 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I think it cost $5,000 to move a piece of equipment from dock to booth at the Metro convention center a few years back.   Yes they used a forklift but.......really they are thieves basically.

Union shops that have to pay high wages for low hours to mediocore workers at best.

Edited by Sksman
Added content

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

I think it cost $5,000 to move a piece of equipment from dock to booth at the Metro convention center a few years back.   Yes they used a forklift but.......really they are thieves basically.

Union shops that have to pay high wages for low hours to mediocore workers at best.

Gotta love it when you're at a conference waiting for your space to be set up. A guy comes by with the table and chairs and you don't have the carpet yet. You ask about the carpet and get told that's somebody else's job. Finally the guys show up with the carpet and roll it out. You're paying a shit load of $'s so you ask him about setting up the folding table and chairs now that the carpet is down.... sorry that's the other guys job. He'll have to come back and do that. Rather than wait you do it yourself in the minute and a half it takes. You ask where your boxes of materials are.... that's somebody else's job.

Just before I retired we had a contract for IT services with a Canadian aircraft builder. Their assembly area is huge and it's a very long walk from one end to the other. They have golf carts in use in that area. We wanted to acquire a golf cart at our expense for our IT people to get around, including delivering hardware providing quicker service.

The response.... sorry.... only union members with a operating a golf cart in their job description were allowed to operate a golf cart. Absolutely nobody else.

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

Gotta love it when you're at a conference waiting for your space to be set up. A guy comes by with the table and chairs and you don't have the carpet yet. You ask about the carpet and get told that's somebody else's job. Finally the guys show up with the carpet and roll it out. You're paying a shit load of $'s so you ask him about setting up the folding table and chairs now that the carpet is down.... sorry that's the other guys job. He'll have to come back and do that. Rather than wait you do it yourself in the minute and a half it takes. You ask where your boxes of materials are.... that's somebody else's job.

Just before I retired we had a contract for IT services with a Canadian aircraft builder. Their assembly area is huge and it's a very long walk from one end to the other. They have golf carts in use in that area. We wanted to acquire a golf cart at our expense for our IT people to get around, including delivering hardware providing quicker service.

The response.... sorry.... only union members with a operating a golf cart in their job description were allowed to operate a golf cart. Absolutely nobody else.

and you didn't have the appropriate trail pass to operate an IT Golf cart around aircraft.... 

Have you seen how some of those IT guys drive?

Likely saved themselves a major lawsuit.

You should have seen my blind co-worker driving a cart on the golf course. Harry lost his sight in his late 20's and was one of our better programmers. He was into martial arts and a pretty good golfer too. He would drive the cart with someone telling him what to do. Slow down Harry, speed up Harry.

One time.... a bit to the right Harry, slow down a bit, a bit more right.... a bit more right SLOW DOWN HARRY, HIT THE BRAKES.... WE'RE HEADED FOR THE POND!

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

You should have seen my blind co-worker driving a cart on the golf course. Harry lost his sight in his late 20's and was one of our better programmers. He was into martial arts and a pretty good golfer too. He would drive the cart with someone telling him what to do. Slow down Harry, speed up Harry.

One time.... a bit to the right Harry, slow down a bit, a bit more right.... a bit more right SLOW DOWN HARRY, HIT THE BRAKES.... WE'RE HEADED FOR THE POND!

Those wild 02 Sled stories.......

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

Its all good to have a sense of humour, but did you call that "The blind leading the blind".:lol:

Its all good to have a sense of humour, but did you call that "The blind leading the blind".:lol:

:lol:It was amazing the things Harry was able to do. He came to work with his dog Huey and his computer talked to him through head phones. I think the fact he was fully sighted most of his life and did so many things before he lost his eye sight enabled him to do so much after he lost it.

Here's an article on Harry and his black belt in Karate

https://athletics.uwaterloo.ca/news/2012/6/5/CR_0605121911.aspx

An international celebration of martial arts took place at the University of Waterloo from May 25 to 27 at the Columbia Icefields.  Hosted by the Yudansha Kobujitsu Karate-doh Federation and the University of Waterloo Karate Club, the weekend treated over 150 participants to lessons by esteemed instructors from Italy, France, England, and Canada.

The lessons covered a broad range of martial arts topics, including Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate, Ju Jitsu, Kung Fu, and martial arts philosophy. Martial arts is more than physical techniques; it has deep roots in spirituality and philosophy, which participants learned about during the event.

The weekend demonstrated that martial arts is accessible to everyone, from old to young and even the disabled. Participants were inspired to learn from Shihan Harry Titus, one of the world's highest ranking blind karate black belts, and to work with wheelchair users. 

And a link to him playing golf

https://www.ontarioblindgolf.ca/archive/Archive.htm

Edited by 02sled

50 minutes ago, 02sled said:

:lol:It was amazing the things Harry was able to do. He came to work with his dog Huey and his computer talked to him through head phones. I think the fact he was fully sighted most of his life and did so many things before he lost his eye sight enabled him to do so much after he lost it.

Here's an article on Harry and his black belt in Karate

https://athletics.uwaterloo.ca/news/2012/6/5/CR_0605121911.aspx

An international celebration of martial arts took place at the University of Waterloo from May 25 to 27 at the Columbia Icefields.  Hosted by the Yudansha Kobujitsu Karate-doh Federation and the University of Waterloo Karate Club, the weekend treated over 150 participants to lessons by esteemed instructors from Italy, France, England, and Canada.

The lessons covered a broad range of martial arts topics, including Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate, Ju Jitsu, Kung Fu, and martial arts philosophy. Martial arts is more than physical techniques; it has deep roots in spirituality and philosophy, which participants learned about during the event.

The weekend demonstrated that martial arts is accessible to everyone, from old to young and even the disabled. Participants were inspired to learn from Shihan Harry Titus, one of the world's highest ranking blind karate black belts, and to work with wheelchair users. 

And a link to him playing golf

https://www.ontarioblindgolf.ca/archive/Archive.htm

thanks 02, great stuff.....Funny, Harry is blind, but faster and more reliable on a sled then the Puzzler....Cool

Edited by Poncho

13 hours ago, Poncho said:

thanks 02, great stuff.....Funny, Harry is blind, but faster and more reliable on a sled then the Puzzler....Cool

Knowing Harry... I wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to drive a sled.