Pipe and fitting price out look from a vender.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah....but what if you go back all the way to July .....deep deep derp derp

I'll make sure to report back after I re-visit a smelter in the next few weeks. 

Lots of very profitable byproducts produced for virtually nothing during that process.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I'll make sure to report back after I re-visit a smelter in the next few weeks. 

Lots of very profitable byproducts produced for virtually nothing during that process.

Smelter!!!!! Sounds awesome!

35 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Umm, in 25 years don't think I could ever ask a customer for more cause it cost me more, unless there was a scope change. 

Our quotes are only good for so many days. If a customer wants a budget number then that’s what it is. They can’t hold us to it. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Why dont we look at a 5 year chart and discuss what drove the decrease in price you fucking hack

Americans love their low bid stuff.....right up to the point where their job is eliminated and/or their real income stagnates!!!!

Edited by Im4snow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

What's the difference between the steel chart and the charts below besides the commodities themselves?

PPS_Forcast_2.jpg

spot-copper-1y-Large.gif

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html

Because no one is going to give you a price increase post bid, we're in a competitive business and there is always someone willing to take a contract, you should take a shot at trying the business side of construction :bc:

I quote small jobs and help quote large jobs. You know who I work for. We don’t quote single digit profits margin jobs. There are still way to many contractors giving away work. 

Just now, Woodtick said:

I quote small jobs and help quote large jobs. You know who I work for. We don’t quote single digit profits margin jobs. There are still way to many contractors giving away work. 

You sound dreamy!!!111

12 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Our quotes are only good for so many days. If a customer wants a budget number then that’s what it is. They can’t hold us to it. 

That is what our suppliers quote us, if prices increase we absorb it, if they decrease, we feast it.  My prices are good for the contract, plus we also have to deal with currency fluctuations.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

And so has the consumption of copper, and yet..................

spot-copper-1y-Large.gif

Has it gone up? Very little to be seen in resi construction these days. Im seeing nothing but pex and cpvc

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Has it gone up? Very little to be seen in resi construction these days. Im seeing nothing but pex and cpvc

49 hi-rises under construction in the city right and just a ton of tenant improve work going on, along with a hot residential market, that's a lot of copper wire and copper piping for HVAC and plumbing. We don't use pex and cpvc in our area.

The price of steel has gone up substantially since January 2017, the price of copper has remained steady until the recent decline, both commodities in demand yet the price of one has risen far above what market conditions dictate................we know what has caused the difference or at least I do as I purchase millions of dollars of copper and steel products annually.

2 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

49 hi-rises under construction in the city right and just a ton of tenant improve work going on, along with a hot residential market, that's a lot of copper wire and copper piping for HVAC and plumbing. We don't use pex and cpvc in our area.

The price of steel has gone up substantially since January 2017, the price of copper has remained steady until the recent decline, both commodities in demand yet the price of one has risen far above what market conditions dictate................we know what has caused the difference or at least I do as I purchase millions of dollars of copper and steel products annually.

The difference was steel pricing was artificially driven down by illegal dumping and cheap imports prior to this recent price correction

Sorry bout your luck

Edited by f7ben

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

The difference was steel pricing was artificially driven down by illegal dumping and cheap imports prior to this recent price correction

Sorry bout your luck

My luck has been great, but the fact of the matter is that tariffs are a tax on all Americans and they inflationary, and they impact the little guy a lot more than the well to do.

I'm all for made in America and that shows in a lot of stuff that I have purchased throughout my personal and business life, @Snake calls this being a plastic patriot..........

In any event it's just my opinion that we could have strengthened US manufacturing without going into a trade war that is a tax increase and isn't so inflationary

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

So if you quote a job and there is 250k in materials. You put the 250k out to bid to your venders, they won’t honor the 250k quote for so many days?  Say like 90 or 120 days? Most big jobs have a turn in date and a award date. The quote isn’t sitting out there for 9 months. 

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

My luck has been great, but the fact of the matter is that tariffs are a tax on all Americans and they inflationary, and they impact the little guy a lot more than the well to do.

I'm all for made in America and that shows in a lot of stuff that I have purchased throughout my personal and business life, @Snake calls this being a plastic patriot..........

In any event it's just my opinion that we could have strengthened US manufacturing without going into a trade war that is a tax increase and isn't so inflationary

Vince......China was and is dead at on destroying our manufacturing sector and our middle class with it. I view it as imperative that we level the playing field and create an environment where we can have a viable middle class. That cannot happen without manufacturing. If we do not produce the majority of the goods we purchase then we are doomed to continued wealth concentration and the irradiation of a middle class workforce and consumer. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Vince......China was and is dead at on destroying our manufacturing sector and our middle class with it. I view it as imperative that we level the playing field and create an environment where we can have a viable middle class. That cannot happen without manufacturing. If we do not produce the majority of the goods we purchase then we are doomed to continued wealth concentration and the irradiation of a middle class workforce and consumer. 

This is not some secret plan by China. It’s right out in the open for all to see. Its about time we addressed these issues. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Holy fuck I don't want to be irradiated....sounds like some Chernobyl shit!!!!!😂😂😝😝

7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I bought two new bicycles this week. Giants. Like almost all low/medium end bikes these were made in China. These were 2019 models.  The dealer told me that the prices of all his bicycles shipped after Jan 1 will go up 20% because of the tariffs. He said that Giant sent them a letter warning them of the price jump. 

I bought chepo bikes but if I had waited I would have spent about $250 more for the same thing. 

Maybe this was just a sales ploy but I dont really think so. 

You get all set up with spandex and helmets too?