Truck snow tires

dirtybeacher

3 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Hercules avalanche - good or bad?

Supposed to be good for 3-4 seasons with my driving habits. 

I had them on my 09 Sierra and thought they worked and wore great. In my opinion, I don't think you can go wrong with any Cooper Tire. Any I have owned have all performed well and I hear the same from others as well.

• Thanks 1

Avalanche Extreme, highly underrated tire that does nothing but perform. Have also run Coopers equivalent (Discoverer M&S), a great tire but Av Ext edges it out in snow.

Image result for hercules avalanche extreme tires

Related image

Edited by ZRSledhead
  • Like 1

The Avalanche Extremes are what I currently have on my Ram. I remember asking about the Hercules but I believe I was told the Extremes replaced them? It's been a few years so I don't know if that was exactly the case but if you can also get the Hercules Avalanche (likely the same tire anyways?) dirty beacher, then just purchase the ones that are cheaper. Either one you will be happy with, imo.

https://www.4tires.ca/tires/hercules-avalanche-suv-winter

Av's.JPG

Avalanche.JPG

Edited by irv

BFG KO 2 

Snow flake rated and you can run them year around.

Use them as snows for a year or two then run them in summer.  Contractor i know has guys getting 125,000 to 145,000kms out of a set.  And the 145,000 could have went a little further but winter was coming.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

BFG KO 2 

Snow flake rated and you can run them year around.

Use them as snows for a year or two then run them in summer.  Contractor i know has guys getting 125,000 to 145,000kms out of a set.  And the 145,000 could have went a little further but winter was coming.

I can't imagine a dedicated all season tire, even with the snowflake, would fair as well as a dedicated snow tire? In order for snowies to do great/good, they need to be of a softer compound. If these tires are good for all year use then they will be lacking in some dept for sure, imo. 

Looking at this, I see far greater scores in snow than what these show. Personally, like me, I would just get a set of dedicated snows and purchase all seasons or something similar for the other 3 seasons.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain+T-A+KO2

Not usually a fan of Crappy Tire tires but The Total Terrain AT2 was excellent on my Ram for winter. Not an Ice tire but I drive a ton (70k/yr) and they gripped and wore great and didn't affect mileage too bad. I originally bought Hercules but the mileage went for a shit so I tried the LT AT2's, they were great. I put P rated Blizzak's on at the end of last year and those gas suckin sludge slippers are coming off and another set of LT AT2's are going on. LT 265/70/17's

Michelin x ice 2

yokohoma ice guard 51

Hankook I pike rw11

in that order. I hear the blizzaks are the best but wear out fast... tinker evidently did not like them...Tinker can you comment on the snow and ice grip?

this will be the last year on the Hankook, then I will be looking for Michelin's next year. I drive a f150 and around 40000km per year. 

37 minutes ago, Taillight said:

Michelin x ice 2

yokohoma ice guard 51

Hankook I pike rw11

in that order. I hear the blizzaks are the best but wear out fast... tinker evidently did not like them...Tinker can you comment on the snow and ice grip?

this will be the last year on the Hankook, then I will be looking for Michelin's next year. I drive a f150 and around 40000km per year. 

Michelin X-Ice Xi3's supercede the 2's now. I just picked up a one year old set on Saab wheels for my son's Malibu. They receive great reviews, but like anything, that depends on who's reviews you read and trust. 

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I used my Wrangler Durotracs last winter instead of snows.  They worked fine for going around the city.  If was going north a lot with the F150 I would put the snows on.

Alot of people in the north run Duratracs and BFG's.  Northern AB and Sask they are every where.   Alot of the drillers in camps swear by the Duratracs.

Good for mud and snow.  

My BFG's were great last winter.  No issues on snow or ice.  I know guys who run alot of sideroads that get icy and get good traction with BFG.

Have a set of DT for three seasons now, I think, plus they are slightly over sized, so not really what you want for winter. Run them year round, so far they are wearing very well, albeit I only put on between 20 & 25k a year. I have not had any issues in any winter driving so far & generally have a few bags of salt in the bed through the winter plus run my tire pressures even lower in the winter as well.

Previously I had summer and winter rubber, figured with the next truck I would try the DT and run year round with all the great reviews I found with them and avoid the back & fourth changing plus the extra set of tires stored, pleasantly surprised up to now.

CT always seems to have them on sale for a good price.

Considered the TK02's as one of my other options when buying, but the one negative review I came upon on more than on occasion was the weaker side walls on the newer editions.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Have a set of DT for three seasons now, I think, plus they are slightly over sized, so not really what you want for winter. Run them year round, so far they are wearing very well, albeit I only put on between 20 & 25k a year. I have not had any issues in any winter driving so far & generally have a few bags of salt in the bed through the winter plus run my tire pressures even lower in the winter as well.

Previously I had summer and winter rubber, figured with the next truck I would try the DT and run year round with all the great reviews I found with them and avoid the back & fourth changing plus the extra set of tires stored, pleasantly surprised up to now.

CT always seems to have them on sale for a good price.

Considered the TK02's as one of my other options when buying, but the one negative review I came upon on more than on occasion was the weaker side walls on the newer editions.

I'm going to run Duratracs on one of my plow trucks this winter. I picked them up at CT for 25% off a couple weeks ago.

On  my second set of Duratracs. Got an easy 95k out of first set, then they get hard and noisy, still a fair amount of tread though. I price checked a lot and found CT with their buy 3 get one free is the best deal .

On 10/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, Taillight said:

Michelin x ice 2

yokohoma ice guard 51

Hankook I pike rw11

The ice grip on the Blizzaks is the best, no doubt. I drive on my lake in the winter so I need it but driving 7000km a month on alot of highway the mileage loss is brutal. I lose 160km every 93L tank compared to the AT2's and they are like driving on flat tires in the dry. 1 sled in the bed and pulling a dbl enclosed trailer and the pig goes 340km on 93L of fuel- Retarded. 540km on AT2's. Be lucky to get 40k out of a set of Blizzaks too, they wear quick. They have AT2's in W/T but never tried them. It's a compromise but for the percentage of ice driving the AT2's work good and in LT (10 ply rating) weight in the truck doesn't affect mileage much, the Blizzaks get terrible. 

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

favorite winter tire iver ever used was the cooper ATW

Not saying they aren't any good, Tommy, but that's an all season tire. If DB'r wants the insurance discount, he will need to have the snowflake on the tires to get it.

I also thought my Michelins M&S's worked great in the snow but they didn't do as well as a dedicated snow tire did once I started using those. With DB being up where he is, I think he'd wise to get a dedicated snowie.

6 minutes ago, irv said:

Not saying they aren't any good, Tommy, but that's an all season tire. If DB'r wants the insurance discount, he will need to have the snowflake on the tires to get it.

I also thought my Michelins M&S's worked great in the snow but they didn't do as well as a dedicated snow tire did once I started using those. With DB being up where he is, I think he'd wise to get a dedicated snowie.

They do have the snow flake. 

I also got them on sale at Canadian tire for less than 800 bucks

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

They do have the snow flake. 

I also got them on sale at Canadian tire for less than 800 bucks

Didn't know that. Seems more and more all seasons are truly an all season tire anymore.