Study: Roundup Weed Killer Could Be Linked To Widespread Bee Deaths

• Platinum Contributing Member

The controversial herbicide Roundup has been accused of causing cancer in humans and now scientists in Texas argue that the world's most popular weed killer could be partly responsible for killing off bee populations around the world.

A new study by scientists at the University of Texas at Austin posit that glyphosate — the active ingredient in the herbicide — destroys specialized gut bacteria in bees, leaving them more susceptible to infection and death from harmful bacteria.

Researchers Nancy Moran, Erick Motta and Kasie Raymann suggest their findings are evidence that glyphosate might be contributing to colony collapse disorder, a phenomenon that has been wreaking havoc on honey bees and native bees for more than a decade.

They hope their results will convince farmers, landscapers and homeowners to stop spraying glyphosate-based herbicides on flowering plants that are likely to be pollinated by bees.

"We need better guidelines for glyphosate use, especially regarding bee exposure, because right now the guidelines assume bees are not harmed by the herbicide," Motta, the graduate student who led the research, said according to the university. "Our study shows that's not true."

My son is a environmental scientist. He did internships at two separate county Forrest preserves while in college. He now works for a very large city in Iowa and part time with another city in Iowa. He specializes in this subject. He said all of this is a witch hunt started by tree hugging groups. The city he works for stopped using round up and started mixing their own.  My son has several licenses to mix and apply herbicides in and around protected areas. He said Round Up is perfectly safe Product. The fucking greenies are at it again. 

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My son is a environmental scientist. He did internships at two separate county Forrest preserves while in college. He now works for a very large city in Iowa and part time with another city in Iowa. He specializes in this subject. He said all of this is a witch hunt started by tree hugging groups. The city he works for stopped using round up and started mixing their own.  My son has several licenses to mix and apply herbicides in and around protected areas. He said Round Up is perfectly safe Product. The fucking greenies are at it again. 

It’s one of the safest herbicides that you can use 

This home made version of round up will work Just like Round Up, just not as long. You need to reapply it more often.  It will also fuck up bugs if you spay them. Humans will also get sick if they drink it. So how are the greenies going to ban these ingredients?

7B81DB0E-2871-41B6-8390-9F32D26B0390.png

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Of course...... :lol: A Repug like you raised an ‘environmentalist’ who’s on the government dole and chastises ‘greenies’ :lmao:  I’ll let the scientists do their thing and let your kid spray weeds. 👍

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

This home made version of round up will work Just like Round Up, just not as long. You need to reapply it more often.  It will also fuck up bugs if you spay them. Humans will also get sick if they drink it. So how are the greenies going to ban these ingredients?

7B81DB0E-2871-41B6-8390-9F32D26B0390.png

I've tried that before.  Didn't do shit until I added a little Round Up to the mix.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It’s one of the safest herbicides that you can use 

Bee that as claimed, I (beeing an apiarist myself) beelieve there is a decline in bee population due to chemicals beeing introduced. Roundup or whatever.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I've tried that before.  Didn't do shit until I added a little Round Up to the mix.  

I’ve never used it either, my son sent me that pic. I buy the concentrated Round Up and mix it for what I’m using it for.

I think the pesticides used in the sixties and seventies were the reason for the decline. They are on the come back. Was told the turkeys are back with a vengeance because of the new laws that started in the eighties. Turkeys eat a lot of bugs. The pesticides were causing their eggs to be soft. Most of their eggs weren’t making it. I have a few friends with hobby bee hives and they aren’t noticing any problems.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I’ve never used it either, my son sent me that pic. I buy the concentrated Round Up and mix it for what I’m using it for.

2-3 oz./gallon, just a "mist" over the weeds and they're fucked.  Unless, of course they're too big or resistant to it in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I think the pesticides used in the sixties and seventies were the reason for the decline. They are on the come back. Was told the turkeys are back with a vengeance because of the new laws that started in the eighties. Turkeys eat a lot of bugs. The pesticides were causing their eggs to be soft. Most of their eggs weren’t making it. I have a few friends with hobby bee hives and they aren’t noticing any problems.

I hope so.

That's awesome. No problems locally here, in the sticks so far. 

20 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm concerned aboot the day waterhemp or the palmer shows up in this area.  

we've got round up resistant fleabane on probably 500 acres where I work.  combines are a bitch for spreading it once youve got it.

probably done growing round up ready beans after this

1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

Of course...... :lol: A Repug like you raised an ‘environmentalist’ who’s on the government dole and chastises ‘greenies’ :lmao:  I’ll let the scientists do their thing and let your kid spray weeds. 👍

You don’t believe in science at all

15 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

You don’t believe in science at all

I should swing by Snowretards place and launch a dozen water balloons filled with Round Up. I should probably wait for spring. I will make sure to get the front and back yard. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done this prank.:ashamed:

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I should swing by Snowretards place and launch a dozen water balloons filled with Round Up. I should probably wait for spring. I will make sure to get the front and back yard. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done this prank.:ashamed:

Was thinking of buying a drone and doing the same thing, but also being able to drop urea on roofs in hopes of rusting out one's gutters...:ok:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Lmao awesome