'They would've lost them anyway': Trump comforts farmers losing farms due to tariffs

Mainecat

2 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No, you are goofy.  Prices are the lowest in a decade+.  

The crop has been record production for 8/10 of those years, so the "large production" tack doesn't hold water.  You figured wrong because you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Small production farms have been in decline for decades, the tariff price squeeze will only increase the rate of decline, which we may not see for a few years.

Very few (no one that I know of even) is against making trade more balanced, however Trump went about it in a bully, bull in the China shop way.  Poor leadership, and it is costing us small farms.

Neal

:ok:

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No, you are goofy.  Prices are the lowest in a decade+.  

The crop has been record production for 8/10 of those years, so the "large production" tack doesn't hold water.  You figured wrong because you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Small production farms have been in decline for decades, the tariff price squeeze will only increase the rate of decline, which we may not see for a few years.

Very few (no one that I know of even) is against making trade more balanced, however Trump went about it in a bully, bull in the China shop way.  Poor leadership, and it is costing us small farms.

Neal

We’ve tried to negotiate with China. They won’t budge. What do you suggest Neil? They’ve been eating our lunch for decades on trade and theft of intellectual property. Enough is enough. 

9 minutes ago, Edmo said:

We’ve tried to negotiate with China. They won’t budge. What do you suggest Neil? They’ve been eating our lunch for decades on trade and theft of intellectual property. Enough is enough. 

Well I would start off by not engaging in moronic actions that cause an immediate need for billions in welfare to be doled out.

Do you really think this was handled in a presidential manner?

Neal

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Well I would start off by not engaging in moronic actions that cause an immediate need for billions in welfare to be doled out.

Do you really think this was handled in a presidential manner?

Neal

I think he’s being a prick, and I’m ok with that. Fuck China, their theft of our property and their dumping of products on our shore that only helps them and hurts our businesses. This is the result of us ignoring this problem forever. It just keeps getting bigger as time goes on.

China’s stated goal is to surpass us as the worlds biggest producer and basically undercut us in every area. It would be foolish to just stand by and watch this happen. We need to act now before it’s too late.

Just now, Edmo said:

I think he’s being a prick, and I’m ok with that. Fuck China, their theft of our property and their dumping of products on our shore that only helps them and hurts our businesses. This is the result of us ignoring this problem forever. It just keeps getting bigger as time goes on.

China’s stated goal is to surpass us as the worlds biggest producer and basically undercut us in every area. It would be foolish to just stand by and watch this happen. We need to act now before it’s too late.

The line is suggested to be, "Fuck those businesses, they are obviously mismanaged if China's goods make em fold!!!"

No one disagrees with keeping the US #1.  However the path we are going down doesn't seem to mind the casualties it creates when persuing that goal.

Neal

6 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

The line is suggested to be, "Fuck those businesses, they are obviously mismanaged if China's goods make em fold!!!"

No one disagrees with keeping the US #1.  However the path we are going down doesn't seem to mind the casualties it creates when persuing that goal.

Neal

This was never going to be easy - that’s why nobody had the balls to take on China. 

Again, specifically what would you do to fix it? You just said what you wouldn’t do and went on to bash trump. 

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

This was never going to be easy - that’s why nobody had the balls to take on China. 

Again, specifically what would you do to fix it? You just said what you wouldn’t do and went on to bash trump. 

It takes balls to put the squeeze on STO farms?

I'd specifically not be brash and bully China into a corner.  I'd focus on cooperative production, address specific instances of uneven trades and playing fields.  I'd cooperate with other exporters to China to up the pressure.

What exactly would you have done?  Just what Trump did?

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

12 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It takes balls to put the squeeze on STO farms?

I'd specifically not be brash and bully China into a corner.  I'd focus on cooperative production, address specific instances of uneven trades and playing fields.  I'd cooperate with other exporters to China to up the pressure.

What exactly would you have done?  Just what Trump did?

Neal

Did you miss the part about them not wanting to negotiate with us fairly? They dismiss all of our concerns and say it’s not a problem. They’ve always done that. You don’t think we’ve tried those things you mentioned?

Knowing these facts I don’t see any other way to deal with them. :dunno: 

Edited by Edmo

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Poor management, bad crops or both. You don’t go from just fine to broke in a month because of a small drop in orice of only one of your commodities. It’s a several year process 

Some estimats show around 60% of the current crop was already sold under contract for around $10/bu.  On top of that you have the price protection progams a large number of producers participate in.   They also will be ok.   Wonder if Neal will share how much of his current crop was already sold and at what price compared to current.  

Edited by Highmark

8 hours ago, Highmark said:

Some estimats show around 60% of the current crop was already sold under contract for around $10/bu.  On top of that you have the price protection progams a large number of producers participate in.   They also will be ok.   Wonder if Neal will share how much of his current crop was already sold and at what price compared to current.  

Zero is presold, most STO (at least around here) don't contract out much of the crop.

Neal

What makes Dumpers so fucking stupid is they start with a false premise.......and that is thinking Dump actually has any idea about the complexity of the issues he’s dealing with.  He has know idea about any ramifications or the complexity of the issues.  If you think otherwise....you’re a completely ignorant dumbfuck 👍

Just now, SnowRider said:

What makes me so fucking stupid is I start with a false premise.......and that is thinking I actually have any idea about the complexity of the issues we are dealing with.  I have no idea about any ramifications or the complexity of the issues.  If you think otherwise....you’re a completely ignorant dumbfuck 👍

Corrected it for you.  

• Haha 2

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Corrected it for you.  

Nice try.  But you’re a stupid fucking enabler who’s getting fucked by the very policies/Dear Leader you worship.  SBYL.  

Reality bitches 

Brutal map shows why U.S. farmers want Trump to 'end the trade war'

The ongoing battle over tariffs between President Trump and China is negatively affecting farmers across the US.

The conflict is expected to worsen as Trump instructed his aides on Friday to carry out his tariff plans of $200 billion in Chinese products. Even the cost of Hurricane Florence is made worse by the trade war.

“The trade war is having impacts on all agricultural sectors,” Gary Schnitkey, Professor in Farm Management at the University of Illinois, told Yahoo Finance in a phone interview. 

According to a recent map, provided by the US Department of Agriculture’s Economic Research Service and highlighted by the farmdoc project at the University of Illinois, the net cash farm income has decreased in every American region in comparison to 2017.

spaceball.gif

screenshot/@FarmPolicy via USDA’s Economic Research Service

The main agricultural commodities, Schnitkey explained, are soybeans and pork. To a second degree, there are corn, fruits, and vegetables.

“All of these commodity prices are linked together,” he said. “If soybean prices fall, so do corn and wheat.” Eventually, every kind of farmer experiences a major loss of income. 

‘They’re coming out worse’

Each region specializes in its own crops. In the Basin and Range, one of the regions losing the most income, it’s beef and wheat. In the Heartland, soybean and corn prices are falling.

Blake Hurst, a corn and soybean farmer from Missouri, recently told Yahoo Finance that he’s already seen a 15-20% drop on the prices that he receives.

“The only answer is to make progress in negotiations with China since they are the biggest soybean consumers,” he said. “Not more government programs, but to make progress.”

The Northern Crescent mainly consists of dairy. However, Michigan grows lots of fruits and vegetables, while some of Minnesota and Wisconsin has “good corn and soybeans,” according to Schnitkey.

spaceball.gif

Laura Kriedeman, a high school sophmore, milks cows on Hinchley’s Dairy Farm where she works part-time on April 25, 2017 near Cambridge, Wisconsin. (Photo: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

In the Northern Great Plains and the Prairie Gateway, wheat is the main crop, along with corn and soybeans. Schnitkey pointed out, though, that the region is “experiencing drier weather than normal and production issues.”

The crops in the Fruitful Rim consist mainly of fruits, especially citrus, and vegetables. Cotton, soybeans, and corn are in the Mississippi Portal. In the Southern Seaboard, crops such as cotton, peanuts, rice, soybeans, and beef are all being affected.

Hugh Weathers, South Carolina’s commissioner of agriculture, estimates that “the impact of tariffs on our markets to date is at $70 million.” It’s been causing a steady decrease in agricultural income.

Schnitkey describes the crops in the Eastern Uplands as “a mishmash of things.” There are primarily small farms in the region, which used to be big tobacco producers, but less so now. Beef is a big one. The region is among those being hit the hardest, with 30% less income compared to 2017.

With farmers in that region dealing with yields and being further away from markets, “their base is turning out worse, which is why they’re coming out worse,” he said.

‘End the trade war’

spaceball.gif

Soybeans grow in a field in Bellevue, Iowa, U.S., July 26, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Lott/File Photo

China, the biggest soybean consumers, recently placed tariffs on soybeans (25%) and pork. President Trump promised $12 billion in aid to farmers hit by these retaliatory tariffs, and the first payment was distributed on Sept. 4. Soybean farmers were given the most in aid at $3.7 billion, followed by pork producers and cotton farmers. 

The second round of aid is expected to be distributed in December, according to the US Department of Agriculture, although it is unclear how the funds will be distributed and how much.

In the meantime, China can get soybeans from other countries. “Brazil and Argentina can have 25% less than us and still beat our price because of the tariff. You’ll see more purchased from there than from us,” Schnitkey said.

So what’s the solution for American farmers?

“End the trade war,” Schnitkey said. “That’s what [farmers] are hoping for … that the tariffs come to an end.”

Edited by SnowRider

23 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It isn't the 80's, yet.  

Interest rates are a whole lot different.  The scenario would be a whole lot different if people were using those rates to cover market losses. 

Credit is getting tighter for the farmers now.  Rates are certainly not going down.  The banks already know farming is a bad bet. 

2 hours ago, SnowRider said:

What makes Dumpers so fucking stupid is they start with a false premise.......and that is thinking Dump actually has any idea about the complexity of the issues he’s dealing with.  He has know idea about any ramifications or the complexity of the issues.  If you think otherwise....you’re a completely ignorant dumbfuck 👍

No idea not know idea.   :lmao: Dude when you are going to call people stupid,  get the most basic english correct. 

Edited by Highmark

18 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No idea not know idea.   :lmao: Dude when you are going to call people stupid,  get the most basic english correct. 

Describes you to a T :lmao: Gotta deflect when you’re :owned: