'They would've lost them anyway': Trump comforts farmers losing farms due to tariffs

Mainecat

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yeah, wait to see how many are forced out.  Good call!

Neal

You don't even know what the hell you're crying about here.  Last several years at this time of the year price of beans and corn here have been nearly the same as they are right now.  Beans taking a bit more of a hit than corn, but considering the crop out there at this time, I figured it'd be lower yet.

There's no increase in farm auctions in this part of the country right now, except for dairy farms.  They continue to sell out just as they have for the past two to three years, before the tarriffs.

Someone had to do something to try and help the situation.  Trump is doing that whether it fails or works will take some time to show.

10 minutes ago, hayward said:

You don't even know what the hell you're crying about here.  Last several years at this time of the year price of beans and corn here have been nearly the same as they are right now.  Beans taking a bit more of a hit than corn, but considering the crop out there at this time, I figured it'd be lower yet.

There's no increase in farm auctions in this part of the country right now, except for dairy farms.  They continue to sell out just as they have for the past two to three years, before the tarriffs.

Someone had to do something to try and help the situation.  Trump is doing that whether it fails or works will take some time to show.

Save your breath. Neal hates Trump. Nothing else matters. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

You play the part of ignorant of fact, Trump ball licker well.

Neal

Lose the debate and resort to insults.   I hope the tariffs cause u to lose your farm.  :lmao: Other industries have dealt with them for decades.   Some of you farmers will bitch because your icecream is cold.  I know your type. 

Edited by Highmark

these farms going out of business have been swirling the toilet bowl for awhile then and is because of piss poor management rather than these new tariffs, anything to blame on Trump to fit the crybabies narritive

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

these farms going out of business have been swirling the toilet bowl for awhile then and is because of piss poor management rather than these new tariffs, anything to blame on Trump to fit the crybabies narritive

Of course the farm issues are Trumps fault.  Funny land prices aren't crashing.....hmmm some people make it work.   

2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

Poor management, bad crops or both. You don’t go from just fine to broke in a month because of a small drop in orice of only one of your commodities. It’s a several year process 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Neal, do you have any numbers on the effects of the tariffs? I’m curious and really wouldn’t know where to look for an honest assessment online. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/07/08/trumps-and-chinas-tariffs-could-do-permanent-damage-to-soybean-farmers/

Prices have continued to decline since the article.

Neal

4 hours ago, hayward said:

No, you are goofy.  Prices are the lowest in a decade+.  

The crop has been record production for 8/10 of those years, so the "large production" tack doesn't hold water.  You figured wrong because you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Small production farms have been in decline for decades, the tariff price squeeze will only increase the rate of decline, which we may not see for a few years.

Very few (no one that I know of even) is against making trade more balanced, however Trump went about it in a bully, bull in the China shop way.  Poor leadership, and it is costing us small farms.

Neal

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Lose the debate and resort to insults.   I hope the tariffs cause u to lose your farm.  :lmao: Other industries have dealt with them for decades.   Some of you farmers will bitch because your icecream is cold.  I know your type. 

I'm just calling you out for what you are.  :lol:

That's irrespective of the debate.

Neal

11 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I'm just calling you out for what you are.  :lol:

That's irrespective of the debate.

Neal

Puts u on the same level as the sno brothers.    Congratulations.  :lmao:

Now care to back up your 20-25% clain with data?

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

Poor management, bad crops or both. You don’t go from just fine to broke in a month because of a small drop in orice of only one of your commodities. It’s a several year process 

Farms were going tits up when prices were double and more what they are today.  

Question for all here - how many farms in the US and Canada do you think are "last generation" farms?

10 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Farms were going tits up when prices were double and more what they are today.  

Question for all here - how many farms in the US and Canada do you think are "last generation" farms?

Farms will always go tits up, however the tariff price squeeze will only increase the tits up rate of smaller producers.

I would say 30-40% :dunno:

How many small farms will last 25-30 years?

Neal

12 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Farms will always go tits up, however the tariff price squeeze will only increase the tits up rate of smaller producers.

I would say 30-40% :dunno:

How many small farms will last 25-30 years?

Neal

The tariff thing is hard to put numbers too, but the last 2 or so years, I've seen a bunch of farm/equipment auctions.  I feel like it is more then "usual."

40 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The tariff thing is hard to put numbers too, but the last 2 or so years, I've seen a bunch of farm/equipment auctions.  I feel like it is more then "usual."

Land prices have to have had an impact.   Not sure how someone makes $10-$14k per acre ground pencil out.