'They would've lost them anyway': Trump comforts farmers losing farms due to tariffs

Mainecat

Trump turns to shit #285

Trump what a fuckin asshole.

'They would've lost them anyway': Trump comforts farmers losing farms due to tariffs

Kerry Eleveld  
Daily Kos Staff 
Wednesday September 12, 2018 · 4:17 PM EDT 

There's just no words for how incomprehensibly out of touch Donald Trump is with the havoc he and his trade policies are wreaking on farmers. Here's what Trump told a local KELO reporter in South Dakota last week when he was asked for comforting words for those farmers at risk of losing their livelihoods because of Trump's trade war. 

Brady Mallory: "So, for family farmers here who are worried about losing their generations-long farms -- at the end of the season --, (and) early retirement, any words of comfort for them now?" 

President Donald Trump: "Well, they would've lost them anyway because they were being hurt so badly by the trade barriers. We will tell you they are going to be in a very good position soon."

That's the latest version of "don't blame me for that"—something Trump said last month at a rally where he was grousing about all the soybean talk of late. Surely, South Dakota farmers are soothed by Trump's concern, which came just hours after Trump announced that he might slap tariffs on another $267 billion worth of Chinese goods (on top of a previously promised $200 billion), significantly escalating an already fraught trade dispute with China. 

But don't worry, Trump says, they'll be in "a very good position soon" ... after they lose their farms. 

What's even more difficult to believe than Trump's callousness about the pain he actually elected to inflict on farm country, is the notion that all's well that ends well appears to be a talking point the White House has embraced on the tariffs. Trump’s sentiment in South Dakota is almost exactly the same as the one Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders advanced in April when she said farmers' "little bit of short-term pain" would all be worth it based on the "long-term success" that would manifest due to Trump's tariffs. They very clearly have zero idea that "long-term" gains mean nothing to people who have already been forced out of business. 

Last month, a Nebraska soybean farmer remarked of Trump's tariff policies, "He's gonna kill us." 

Not only is Trump gonna kill their family business, he doesn't give a crap.

48 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

MC.. what a fucking asshole.. every thread turns to shit.

LMAO

Better luck next thread.. lmao

You have an awful lot to do with threads turning to shit. They don't start that way.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Sael said:

You have an awful lot to do with threads turning to shit. They don't start that way.

Dopo is so dumb he changed his screen name from Copo to Atomic Punk and thought no one would know :lmao: No doubt he’s special ed 👍

11 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Dopo is so dumb he changed his screen name from Copo to Atomic Punk and thought no one would know :lmao: No doubt he’s special ed 👍

He actually got savaged so badly that he had to take a vacation after one of his threads backfired. It was epic. 

Losing farms because of tariffs.  :lol:  

Of course crop prices aren't low because this will be one of the largest corn crops ever and by far the largest soybean crop ever.  

Farming needs a filtering out of those that can't make it work withing the programs already in place or hopefully with even less help from the govt.   Its inherent that some will fail because maximum production all the time no matter what simply drives the price down even further.   Problem is someone else just buys the farms up and produces just as much under the same mentality.  

If anything we need incentives for farmers to produce something other than corn and beans.   

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Losing farms because of tariffs.  :lol:  

Of course crop prices aren't low because this will be one of the largest corn crops ever and by far the largest soybean crop ever.  

Farming needs a filtering out of those that can't make it work withing the programs already in place or hopefully with even less help from the govt.   Its inherent that some will fail because maximum production all the time no matter what simply drives the price down even further.   Problem is someone else just buys the farms up and produces just as much under the same mentality.  

If anything we need incentives for farmers to produce something other than corn and beans.   

We have had record crops in the past without a 20-25% drop in prices.  The tariff debacle is costing farmers their livelyhoods.  

Indeed the smaller farms are being gobbled up by the larger corporate producers.

Neal

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

We have had record crops in the past without a 20-25% drop in prices.  The tariff debacle is costing farmers their livelyhoods.  

Indeed the smaller farms are being gobbled up by the larger corporate producers.

Neal

How many years running on bumper crops and beans are down but I don't believe corn is because of the tariffs.   I don't believe 20-25% drop is attributed to the tariffs either.   I've seen reports of much less.   We haven't had a severe crop loss due to drought in my area since 1988 and prices were low well before any talks of tariffs began.  You also can't just take into account the US.  The world is producing more and more and there simply are not the markets to consume it fast enough.  

Large family operations buy up everything around here.   

Edited by Highmark

3 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

No it’s not you fucking retard

6 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

If they’re losing farms they were already doomed. A short and mild drop in price is not to blame. That’s not how it works. 

I know eh...just cause its in the bin doesnt mean you have to sell it. :lol:

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

How many years running on bumper crops and beans are down but I don't believe corn is because of the tariffs.   I don't believe 20-25% drop is attributed to the tariffs either.   I've seen reports of much less.   We haven't had a severe crop loss due to drought in my area since 1988 and prices were low well before any talks of tariffs began.  You also can't just take into account the US.  The world is producing more and more and there simply are not the markets to consume it fast enough.  

Large family operations buy up everything around here.   

You play the part of ignorant of fact, Trump ball licker well.

Neal

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s become clear to me that of the members here with knowledge and/or a farm and/or any farming experience, Neal is the last one anybody should be listening to about farming or most things for matter...

Fixed!

52 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s become clear to me that of the members here with knowledge and/or a farm and/or any farming experience, Neal is the last one anybody should be listening to about farming.

You are an ignorant moron.  No one pays any mind to what you say at all.

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated
  • Haha 4