'They would've lost them anyway': Trump comforts farmers losing farms due to tariffs

Mainecat

2 hours ago, favoritos said:

Interest rates are a whole lot different.  The scenario would be a whole lot different if people were using those rates to cover market losses. 

Credit is getting tighter for the farmers now.  Rates are certainly not going down.  The banks already know farming is a bad bet. 

It'll be interesting to see who in my area survives the next couple years if prices like this continue.  We are noticing the hurt at the dirt tracks.

39 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

Refer. You can make 10x that. 

You mean reefer?

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It'll be interesting to see who in my area survives the next couple years if prices like this continue.  We are noticing the hurt at the dirt tracks.

You mean reefer?

Yes!

57 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It is kinda sad to see.  The losses will curb playing and spending for quite awhile too.  Probably the last generation of farmers in quite a few families by the time this mess is done.

I know that some don't have much sympathy for the farmers.  They have had some good years while other sectors suffered.  The more recent bad years are adding up though.  Most don't realize that many of these guys have already been hanging on just for their passion of being a farmer.  Not many regular business folks would keep operating at a loss for long without throwing in the towel. 

Bad years for farmers don't mean just switching jobs.  Their entire lives belong to their income.  How many regular people live at their work?  How many live their work?  It is a way of life that is being permanently affected.  Nobody is going to start out being a family farmer in today's market.

7 minutes ago, favoritos said:

It is kinda sad to see.  The losses will curb playing and spending for quite awhile too.  Probably the last generation of farmers in quite a few families by the time this mess is done.

I know that some don't have much sympathy for the farmers.  They have had some good years while other sectors suffered.  The more recent bad years are adding up though.  Most don't realize that many of these guys have already been hanging on just for their passion of being a farmer.  Not many regular business folks would keep operating at a loss for long without throwing in the towel. 

Bad years for farmers don't mean just switching jobs.  Their entire lives belong to their income.  How many regular people live at their work?  How many live their work?  It is a way of life that is being permanently affected.  Nobody is going to start out being a family farmer in today's market.

My dad said the 80's were so bad with suicides because farmers weren't just loosing the farm and their profession, they were loosing their identity.  

I believe that holds true for many of the smaller farms yet today.  The large farms, it is just another business.