Where were you at when you heard about 9/11?

Highmark

• Platinum Contributing Member

Few things happen in life when you will forever remember where you were at and what you were doing.

I was at my desk working when my wife called right after the first plane hit.   No video of the impact had been released yet.   I recall her saying "there is no way that was a small plane like they are saying on the news."  I went home to watch it and shortly after the 1st building came down.   

To this day I'm amazed not more people were killed.

Edited by Highmark

I was at work, someone said a plane hit a building in New York. We turned on the TV in the office and were watching as they were trying to figure out what was going on and the second plane hit. Everyones jaws hit the floor. Then everyone knew the first one was not an accident. My office at the time was on the north end of O'hare international airport. For the couple weeks after any time someone sneezed on a plane they would dispatch f15's and they would fly over our office and shake the building. Heard a sonic boom for the first time during one of those scrambles. 

It was my late day going into work. I woke up to the news that a plane had struck the WTC. I thought it was perhaps a small plane. Turned on the tv to see the second plane hit. At first I thought what’s the odds of a second plane doing that. I guess my brain could comprehend something like that being intentional. Very strange. 

I was with an associate in the car all morning so when we stopped in to grab a lunch at a Chili's before a meeting, it was on...and the place was dead quiet.  We were like...WUT THE FUCK?!??!   We didn't even eat.  I don't think anybody was working or eating at all.  Sat there for an hour before our meeting was canceled due to the news. My wife was working in a high rise at the time and they evacuated the building...I kinda giggled about that but..whatever.

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It was my late day going into work. I woke up to the news that a plane had struck the WTC. I thought it was perhaps a small plane. Turned on the tv to see the second plane hit. At first I thought what’s the odds of a second plane doing that. I guess my brain could comprehend something like that being intentional. Very strange. 

Your brain comprehends nothing :flush: 

i was sitting at my desk about 100 feet from where i sit now.  kept trying to get news on the web since at the time we did not have TV in the lobbies and office like we do now.  Had a golf event that we put on that night-  we decided to have it still started with a  moment of silence and actually had a good turn out which was a bit surprising but i think people wanted to take their mind off it but the news was playing in the bar all through dinner.

was in Ft. Nelson (little south of the b.c. yukon border) doing warranty repairs at a plywood mill. no work was done that morning, me and the mill mechanics just sat and watched the news for hours in lunchroom. and the one thing that gets me to this day is after i left the mill i was fuelling the truck and saw an old couple in a RV with cali plates. went over and will never forget their faces. all i said was sorry and that we are with you. 

Edited by mtnloverxtreme2
spelling

• Platinum Contributing Member
45 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

I was at work, someone said a plane hit a building in New York. We turned on the TV in the office and were watching as they were trying to figure out what was going on and the second plane hit. Everyones jaws hit the floor. Then everyone knew the first one was not an accident. My office at the time was on the north end of O'hare international airport. For the couple weeks after any time someone sneezed on a plane they would dispatch f15's and they would fly over our office and shake the building. Heard a sonic boom for the first time during one of those scrambles. 

What he said  ^^^^^

My fiance called me at work and told me about the first plane so we tuned in at work in complete disbelief.

My wife just reminded me that she called me on my cell when we were in the car and told me what was happening because they were all watching it at work.....I blew her off like I normally do and just figured it was a joke or, they were all just overreacting.  I mean...what nonsense!  RIght?

Oops.  

Was  working at a Taco Bell in Hastings Minnesota. Doing maintenance work on the inside of the dining room. Had a local radio station KQRS playing music. During the morning so they got some news about a small airplane hitting the tower.  Little while later we find out what really actually happened. I called my wife  to inform her of what just occurred. Very sad day indeed I definitely won’t forget it the rest of my life. Per very sad day indeed I definitely won’t forget it the rest my life.  The next day we are at the Bloomington Pizza Hut doing maintenance in there.  And there is no planes taking off at all. All we heard where the Jets from the military. It was very eerie feeling throughout the day. So  quiet for being so close to the airport. 

I was in my 6th grade math class, went to the office to make copies for my teacher and overhead adults talking about an explosion in NYC, pretty sure I was the first student to find out. For the rest of the day kids were getting called to the office to be picked up every 5 minutes. My parents didn't tell me my aunt worked in the WTC complex until they were sure she got out safe.

That evening we drove a few minutes from our house to a viewpoint by the church that serves as our polling place and looked out at the NYC skyline without the towers for the first time.

Edited by Wildboer

I was at Valcourt, Qc picking up a sled when the guys said "look at this" showing the first plane to hit. Really couldn't believe it and thought they were goofing on me. When I came to U.S. port of entry it was strangely empty of vehicles but all the guys had on b-p vests and sporting pretty heavy weapons. Usually importing a sled takes a few minutes but they told me to get the hell out. The agents were definitely freaked out and jittery.

Edited by J. Jackson

23 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

I was in my 6th grade math class, went to the office to make copies for my teacher and overhead adults talking about an explosion in NYC, pretty sure I was the first student to find out. For the rest of the day kids were getting called to the office to be picked up every 5 minutes. My parents didn't tell me my aunt worked in the WTC complex until they were sure she got out safe.

That evening we drove a few minutes from our house to a viewpoint by the church that serves as our polling place and looked out at the NYC skyline without the towers for the first time.

• Haha 2

I was at one of my stores when a customer called and said a plane hit the WTC. What's really creepy for me was the fact I stayed in the same Comfort Inn about 6 weeks later. 

https://nypost.com/2001/10/12/final-hours-of-hijack-monster-he-waited-until-last-minute-to-buy-boxcutters/

NYS thruway outside of Albany when heard on news, pulled into service plaza to see what as going on and along with about 60 other people saw second plane hit, could hear a pin drop. Continued on to Port of Albany for my load and smoke plume was visible from the port not a plane in the sky on return trip erie scene for sure