Summer has come to an abrupt end.

Tommy

While I was partying away Friday afternoon at boots and hearts I got a call from my Grandma that there was trouble at our cottage. 

My family owns a private island on Lake Muskoka just north of Campbells landing. Its called Delamere Island. I obviously couldnt do anything but lose my buzz and wait to hear more news once my family got there to figure it all out. Here lays our current dilemma. 

delamere island screen shot.jpg

delamere island 1.jpg

delamere island 2.jpg

delamere island 3.jpg

• Sad 1

I must say A huge thank you to the bystanders who were brave enough to risk their lives over our boats. They kicked down the doors to the boat house just before emergency services got there and saved our larson bow rider, canoe, tin tippy etc. Dont know who they are but I will track them down for a beer! 

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

The cause will remain unknown. But I don't think its suspicious. 

I have caught people parked at our beach completely ignoring the private property and No trespassing signs before. Ive also found ash's from people pulling up and lighting a fire on shore which is absolutely insane on an island, obviously.

That being said, the fire guys say it started in the cottage. My belief is that is began as electrical and spread. 

2 hours ago, mach4me said:

So did the boathouse burn also or just the cottage?

Cottage, Bunky, shower house burnt and are completely gone. Pump house half burnt. Paint on boathouses is melted from the heat

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Cottage, Bunky, shower house burnt and are completely gone. Pump house half burnt. Paint on boathouses is melted from the heat

That sucks,  with any luck the insurance  adjuster will be on it quick.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, Sksman said:

So Tommy was the actual cause ever discovered?

When does rebuild begin?

Nope, nothing ever figured out. 

The process has begun so to say. So far my dad and I have dropped about 30-40 big trees that were affected by the fire. With the help of one of his employees. Another 20 ish to get down yet but its about 5 trees a day with just 2 sometimes 3 of us in there when we have time. most of these trees are 60 ft plus pines. some up to 80ft. Then cut and stack all of it. Doing this part ourselves is saving an extra 15-20k. Taking some extra time but we aren't too torn up about the time. It will take all of the next year to get the cottage built again as my dad will be doing it. With my help when I have time. 

I think my dad is up there right now burning more brush and bark cleaning up before we get ready to drop the next set of trees monday.

Just one thing after another, Burn permit from the township, comply to all the rules of the permit. yadayadayada. Being on an island is a whole other task in itself. Lots of fucking around involved everytime ya try to go get something done....