Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why-

Almost 80% of US workers live from paycheck to paycheck. Here's why

The official rate of unemployment in America has plunged to a remarkably low 3.8%. The Federal Reserve forecasts that the unemployment rate will reach 3.5% by the end of the year. 

But the official rate hides more troubling realities: legions of college grads overqualified for their jobs, a growing number of contract workers with no job security, and an army of part-time workers desperate for full-time jobs. Almost 80% of Americans say they live from paycheck to paycheck, many not knowing how big their next one will be. 

Blanketing all of this are stagnant wages and vanishing job benefits. The typical American worker now earns around $44,500 a year, not much more than what the typical worker earned in 40 years ago, adjusted for inflation. Although the US economy continues to grow, most of the gains have been going to a relatively few top executives of large companies, financiers, and inventors and owners of digital devices. 

America doesn’t have a jobs crisis. It has a good jobs crisis. 

When Republicans delivered their $1.5tn tax cut last December they predicted a big wage boost for American workers. Forget it. Wages actually dropped in the second quarter of this year. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/29/us-economy-workers-paycheck-robert-reich 

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

80% is huge. How fragile is our economy? Holy fuck

How important are our cell phones, cable tv and beemers. I saved money when I didn’t make much. Priorities...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kind of funny.   We were all talking about how much money we thought we were all going to have once our kids got of day care, then sports, then moved out.

Weird........... that money is still not in our bank account. where did it go? 

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

How important are our cell phones, cable tv and beemers. I saved money when I didn’t make much. Priorities...

It's a well documented fact that cell phones have caused 40 years of stagnant wages. 

When will people finally wake up?????

Add in everyone has to have the latest and greatest widgets of the century, and send their kids to a $40K per year college, And has to have a new $40k pickup in the driveway while sending their young kids to daycare at a cost of $30k per year while said kid is using a $1000 dollar iphone to call mommy crying about lil timmy just got the new $1400 dollar iphone. But mommy's not available because she's out shopping with tina and dropped her iphone in her glass of moscato toiling over the fact she can't pay her mortgage on her $750K house her mortgage company told her she could afford.

Yeah..Wages are the problem. Not the complete lack of self control and the entitlement mentality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

It's a well documented fact that cell phones have caused 40 years of stagnant wages. 

When will people finally wake up?????

So when I feel like I’m making good dough and I look around and everybody I know has a nicer house, car, and clothes than I - what does that tell me?

They’re trying to keep up with the Jones’s and living above their means. :dunno: 

Just now, Edmo said:

So when I feel like I’m making good dough and I look around and everybody I know has a nicer house, car, and clothes than I - what does that tell me?

They’re trying to keep up with the Jones’s and living above their means. :dunno: 

No, that you should get rid of your cell phone 

25 minutes ago, Cold War said:

REPUBS taxes cut...............Just as I suspected. 

Took a while to get there but, BOOM!

lol...hack article for hacks.

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Kill yourself.

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

OK, who here thinks they are living paycheck to paycheck?

Or is this just the not me but everyone else is mentality.

You just have to show up, and you should get a fat six figure salary. And if you don’t want to show up money will just fall out of the sky for you. 

Merica! 

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

OK, who here thinks they are living paycheck to paycheck?

Or is this just the not me but everyone else is mentality.

I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but don't expect too many people to answer this question.

I asked the same question about stagnant wages.  Who here thinks that their wages have been stagnant?

4 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but don't expect too many people to answer this question.

I asked the same question about stagnant wages.  Who here thinks that their wages have been stagnant?

Well I wasn't actually expecting someone to raise their hand.:lol:

6 minutes ago, Edmo said:

You just have to show up, and you should get a fat six figure salary. And if you don’t want to show up money will just fall out of the sky for you. 

Merica! 

This sarcasm sounds suspiciously like it’s coming from the lazy, entitled mouth of a white male.  

Just sayin’

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This sarcasm sounds suspiciously like it’s coming from the lazy, entitled mouth of a white male.  

Just sayin’

I just chuckle when I hear people pushing this “living wage” nonsense. That's not the way I was taught. Nor is it my experience in the real world. You get out what you put in. Not a hard concept to understand.

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

“Stagnant wages”.  Hand selected information for those gas lighting bullshit narratives.  Pretty clear Americans are and have been living better than they have 40-50 years ago.  Oh, I know...”BUT DA DEBT DEY IZ FORCED TO TAKE!!!! “

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well I wasn't actually expecting someone to raise their hand.:lol:

:lol:

The “paycheck to paycheck” sad sacking anthem has been around for as long as I can remember.  As if the majority doing so make good rational monetary decisions and are just victims of mean rich people.

Laughable.

• USA Contributing Member
45 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If only we hall had a BIL that would take us under his wing and pay us more than we're worth....

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I just chuckle when I hear people pushing this “living wage” nonsense. That's not the way I was taught. Nor is it my experience in the real world. You get out what you put in. Not a hard concept to understand.

FUCK U!!!!  That PT job designed for high school kids to make some walking around money at McDonalds 40 years ago should have evolved into a position with bennifits able to support a family of four in an upscale neighborhood with a couple new cars in the garage every other year!!!!!!  WITH A FAT PENSION!!!!!!

CAPATALIZMZ!!!     

2 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

If only we hall had a BIL that would take us under his wing and pay us more than we're worth....

His BIL should have gone to the local animal shelter and got a dog instead.  He’d have been much better off....and so would his business.

• USA Contributing Member

I'm single, own a house with a mortgage.  I have some saved up but there are many months where the money that comes in goes right out.  Have a kid in college that I'm paying a little over $700.00 a month in tuition so that where my extra income is going right now.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will get me through....

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

“Stagnant wages”.  Hand selected information for those gas lighting bullshit narratives.  Pretty clear Americans are and have been living better than they have 40-50 years ago.  Oh, I know...”BUT DA DEBT DEY IZ FORCED TO TAKE!!!! “

:lol:

The “paycheck to paycheck” sad sacking anthem has been around for as long as I can remember.  As if the majority doing so make good rational monetary decisions and are just victims of mean rich people.

Laughable.

Living paycheck to paycheck is the very definition of middle class.  At least this expert seems to think so.

But before Trudeau and I could have that discussion, he had a new definition of the middle class.

"For me, it’s people who live paycheque to paycheque," he said