Inside Cuomo’s plan to have your face scanned at NYC toll plazas

Big Governor is watching you.

Facial-recognition cameras at bridge and tunnel toll plazas across the city are already scanning drivers’ visages and feeding them into databases to catch suspected criminals, Gov. Andrew Cuomo revealed Friday.

“When it reads that license plate, it reads it for scofflaws . . . [but] the toll is almost the least significant contribution that this electronic equipment can actually perform,” Cuomo said at a press conference outside the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

“We are now moving to facial-recognition technology, which takes it to a whole new level, where it can see the face of the person in the car and run that technology against databases.

“Because many times a person will turn their head when they see a security camera, so they are now experimenting with technology that just identifies a person by their ear, believe it or not,” he continued.

The tech is being tested at the RFK/Triborough Bridge and was switched on at Queens Midtown Tunnel and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel Friday, according to the Governor’s Office.

It will also eventually come to at least two of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s six other spans — the Throgs Neck and Whitestone bridges — and down the road will be added at all area airports, Cuomo’s office confirmed.

A request for proposals from contractors previously published by the online news outlet Vocativ says the tech is slated for all seven of the city’s toll bridges in addition to the two tunnels.

Citing ­security-related issues, the Governor’s Office refused to say when the forthcoming cameras will be activated, what databases they are comparing the photos against and who will have access to the data.

But Cuomo said on Friday that license plates scanned at the toll plazas, at least, are already being checked “for warrants, suspected felons, parole violators, terrorist suspects” — and that the intel is passed within five seconds on to cop cars stationed at the crossings.

“It’s a phenomenal security device,” he said.

Not everyone agrees.

The New York Civil Liberties Union slammed the surveillance operation after the governor’s press conference, saying the tech is unreliable and could wind up targeting innocent people.

“Facial-recognition software is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to identifying people of color, women and children, leading to the possibility of people being mistakenly arrested or erroneously monitored,” NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman said in a statement.

“Government should not be casting a dragnet to track everyone going about their day through the state’s bridges and tunnels, especially not when that data could be shared with other law-enforcement agencies, including immigration authorities.”

The state Department of Motor ­Vehicles already uses facial-recognition software to catch people committing identity theft and fraud and has some 16 million photos in its databases, according to an August 2017 release from the Governor’s Office.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/inside-cuomos-plan-to-have-your-face-scanned-at-nyc-toll-plazas/

:lol:Did they just say this?

“Because many times a person will turn their head when they see a security camera, so they are now experimenting with technology that just identifies a person by their ear,”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

If you have been through any airport in the last few years you have already been scanned. Who fuckin cares.

go fuck yourself you fucking retarded faggot.....you cry about made up russian boogeymen like your cunt is on fire but you dont have any concern at all for your government ushering in 1984 style police state policy. Seriously you need to die soon 

Edited by f7ben
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

fuck cuomo, need to be thrown in the hudson river right after Bhen slits his throat

I wouldnt be even close to done after slitting his throat......I'd tape that shit back up and give him a blood transfusion just so I could start all over again. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I wouldnt be even close to done after slitting his throat......I'd tape that shit back up and give him a blood transfusion just so I could start all over again. 

so make him linger on for awhile......I like it:bc:

Just now, 01mxz800 said:

so make him linger on for awhile......I like it:bc:

It would take me hours to explain to the fucking piece of garbage why what was happening to him was taking place.......I would want him semi lucid that whole time so he could understand.

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, f7ben said:

go fuck yourself you fucking retarded faggot.....you cry about made up russian boogeymen like your cunt is on fire but you dont have any concern at all for your government ushering in 1984 style police state policy. Seriously you need to die soon 

:goodpost:

18 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

fuck cuomo, need to be thrown in the hudson river right after Bhen slits his throat

:goodpost:

Just now, Sal Rosenberg said:

I'm sure his relatives and buddies all work and own the facial recognition scanner makin place and he has a shitload of stock in the place too . 

thats capitalism bro

6 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

What a crock of shit, we don’t need more big brother BS. USing the tech at Airports, banks and other shit I could understand, but roads and tolls? Gmafb

You knew this was the plan all along......it had nothing to do with R or D.......its fucking government as a whole and its deep state. Its coming and there isnt a fucking thing we can do aside from blood running in the streets. 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You knew this was the plan all along......it had nothing to do with R or D.......its fucking government as a whole and its deep state. Its coming and there isnt a fucking thing we can do aside from blood running in the streets. 

Facial recognition systems are likey not much different than the machine vision systems i use at work. The availability of high def cameras these days makes the task easier, at low costs, and the technology is just expanding to different areas. Part of your damn “deep state” paranoia?, I don’t think so. But using them on roads at toll gates is a bunch of shit. Hopefully this doesn’t catch on other places

4 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Facial recognition systems are likey not much different than the machine vision systems i use at work. The availability of high def cameras these days makes the task easier, at low costs, and the technology is just expanding to different areas. Part of your damn “deep state” paranoia?, I don’t think so. But using them on roads at toll gates is a bunch of shit. Hopefully this doesn’t catch on other places

Dude.....why do you think they are building server farms the size of small cities? They have known this tech was coming and how they would use it for going on a decade now.......the assault on our 4th amendment by all sides in power is not a coincidence. This is the plan.......its sci-fi 1984 authoritarianism and its here now. We have kissed the last vestiges of freedom goodbye. Its hi tech SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS and its all without your knowledge or permission. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
59 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If you have been through any airport in the last few years you have already been scanned. Who fuckin cares.

59 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It really is amazing the way this old dumbass thinks as he sits by his fucking pool drinking expensive liquor and smoking cigars....pathetic. 

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It really is amazing the way this old dumbass thinks as he sits by his fucking pool drinking expensive liquor and smoking cigars....pathetic. 

And shitting his pants.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

And screaming at imaginary Japs he sees hiding in the shrubs.

Yelling at the japs but thinking their the russians and covered in shit while he smokes a cigar and drinks cheap cognac. Abe Simpson for sure!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

5 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

And shitting his pants.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

And screaming at imaginary Japs he sees hiding in the shrubs.

:lmao: poor FAKENEWSMAINECUNT 

MC - I realize the chances of this negatively effecting you, me, or anyone else in here are extremely low, but the idea of it doesn’t bother you? Where do you draw the line with this? I don’t want anyone in the law or gov knowing what I am doing and when. Not because I don’t have anything to hide, but because it’s opening the door for more invasion of privacy