I use a garmin Oregon 600 for both the sled and ATV.

Through time I have acquired Topo maps  and sled maps free (none of them are copyrighted maps).

I like that it is waterproof, has a color touch screen (doesn't work with gloves on)

• Platinum Contributing Member

Damn I hope its a good snow year.   Had one great trip to the UP (700 miles in 2.5 days) and another out west but want to do much more riding this year.

I have the skidoo Montana with the factory mount. It's a great set up but I really don't like the GPS. It's not very user friendly. I also have the red pine maps installed. I am going to sell it this fall and buy another that will do what I want. I also have an old etrex GPS. That God is a lot more user friendly than the Montana. Bit you have to make your own trail maps...

Just now, Anler said:

I have the skidoo Montana with the factory mount. It's a great set up but I really don't like the GPS. It's not very user friendly. I also have the red pine maps installed. I am going to sell it this fall and buy another that will do what I want. I also have an old etrex GPS. That God is a lot more user friendly than the Montana. Bit you have to make your own trail maps...

I have the same set up as you except VV mapping and Trackmaps for Canada.  It works for I want it to do. 

6 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

I have the same set up as you except VV mapping and Trackmaps for Canada.  It works for I want it to do. 

Yeah it works but I'm having trouble labeling waypoints and saving trips on there. I have scoured the internets and messed with it relentlessly and I just can't figure it out. The etrex is way easier. For as much as that thing cost I expected better usability. I wish I knew someone who was an engineer for Garmin. I have a brilliant idea for an off road app....

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yeah it works but I'm having trouble labeling waypoints and saving trips on there. I have scoured the internets and messed with it relentlessly and I just can't figure it out. The etrex is way easier. For as much as that thing cost I expected better usability. I wish I knew someone who was an engineer for Garmin. I have a brilliant idea for an off road app....

It's not the easiest but I usually save my tracks and download the info on the computer.  

• Gold Member
14 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

and i never pass up gas..even if i can only get a couple gallons in it..you never know and i will not ride alone.

I always fill up as well. Never know when a wrong turn will cost you 50 miles. :lol:

Just now, Kivalo said:

I always fill up as well. Never know when a wrong turn will cost you 50 miles. :lol:

dude we pulled out of the log cabin restaurant one night at the reservation west of me..Indian falls..anyways it was like 35 miles before i realized we were heading west towards Buffalo instead of heading east...i thought i was just on a diff trail the whole time..fawk me it was close that night.

• Gold Member
Just now, Capt.Storm said:

dude we pulled out of the log cabin restaurant one night at the reservation west of me..Indian falls..anyways it was like 35 miles before i realized we were heading west towards Buffalo instead of heading east...i thought i was just on a diff trail the whole time..fawk me it was close that night.

Yeah I hear ya but that's half the fun of riding! 

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

Yeah I hear ya but that's half the fun of riding! 

It is..the wife and i'll will always remember that night!

She always likes to dig the map out and try to read it with a head light but most generally she has no clue to where we are on the damn map while the sleds are burning up gas idling away.:lol:

4 hours ago, SnowRider said:

It's not the easiest but I usually save my tracks and download the info on the computer.  

It sucks. for that kinda cash it should be alot better. The only thing it has going for it is it is very durable for outdoor stuff.

I'll be using a Nuvi 500 (auto-style) this year. I've always used a DeLorme PN40 which is a hunting/hiking style and it's been awesome, but most trail mapping programs like GPS trailmasters and backwoods GPS only work for Garmins.

I use a Garmin Montana 600 with the Ram handlebar mount.  Bought to use on my sled, ATV, and my cars and truck. I have VVMapping on it

100_2024.JPG

Edited by A05GSHO

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

It is..the wife and i'll will always remember that night!

She always likes to dig the map out and try to read it with a head light but most generally she has no clue to where we are on the damn map while the sleds are burning up gas idling away.:lol:

Been there done that! Besides the flickering light the damn sled always stalls when you're just about to figure everything out and  then you gotta start over! :lmao: