irv

Looking for a car for my son.

Recommended Posts

On 8/2/2018 at 3:05 PM, irv said:

He can have that fun when he can afford to do it on his own. Under Dad's watch, not a chance. :cop:

Just go with it.

Jeep1.thumb.jpg.bb9da21b04046b4458652f43cfcd0130.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, 1trailmaker said:

small pickup s10 or something might be your cheapest insurance 

around my neck of the woods its cheaper on insurance for chicks to drive small trucks then guys. young males in s10s have some pretty bad stats according to our insurance.

was cheaper to insure a fullsize 4x4 and pay extra fuel then to drive any car when i was younger.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, 1trailmaker said:

small pickup s10 or something might be your cheapest 

dbl post 

 

Edited by Glenn in Caledon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, irv said:

Now that my son has his G2 he now wants his own car. We are looking for a full size sedan (way cheaper to insure!) like an Impala or Monte Carlo or something similar.

I have looked at a few Impalas and 1 Monte Carlo but all I have seen have issues of some sort., price being one of them. We are interested in something around the 2004 year to 2011-12 with low KMs, if possible and not really looking to spend more than 5 Gs but will entertain something if it is exceptional? Color isn't important but something that is in good shape and will be reliable to him is. I preferred a certified one but depending on what it needs, an uncertified one may also be acceptable.

I have  looked at both Kijiji and Autotrader and have seen a few but I thought I'd see if anyone knows of one for sale or one coming for sale that you think would fit our needs. (Durham Region/GTA preferred but will travel for a better deal)

Thanks. :bc:  

Edited by StevieWonder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dale track him down a 95 or 96 pimpala with an LT1

 

 

Biiiiiiigggg back seats :lol: :snack: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Olds Alero has only 97000 k , no one will buy it , if it sells it’ll be under a grand , maybe 800 bucks . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 11:24 PM, StevieWonder said:

That Olds Alero has only 97000 k , no one will buy it , if it sells it’ll be under a grand , maybe 800 bucks . 

My wife had an 02 Intrigue and although it was a decent car over the years, it still had it's share of problems for a car with low kms. Hence why we purchased a newer Impala last year. I appreciate the link however, Stevie. Thanks. :bc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask your insurance guy about Buicks. For the most part they are an old mans car. Because of this they tend to be cheap on insurance. Not many old guys out there racing around getting into accidents so statistically Buicks are low risk and cheaper to insure. I have two in the driveway for this reason. Plus they are quiet and comfortable. Lots of them out there have low miles because old folks don't do a lot of driving.

 

I went from a Corolla to a Altima to the Buick, the Buick was the best deal for insurance. Plus if you get the 3.8 it can't be beat.

Edited by 2strokemerc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2strokemerc said:

Ask your insurance guy about Buicks. For the most part they are an old mans car. Because of this they tend to be cheap on insurance. Not many old guys out there racing around getting into accidents so statistically Buicks are low risk and cheaper to insure. I have two in the driveway for this reason. Plus they are quiet and comfortable. Lots of them out there have low miles because old folks don't do a lot of driving.

 

I went from a Corolla to a Altima to the Buick, the Buick was the best deal for insurance. Plus if you get the 3.8 it can't be beat.

I haven't looked at Buicks yet but I imagine you are correct with insurance and them. The Impalas I know were were reasonable so I would assume the Buicks, or any other type of car like that would be also. Hopefully this week I can get some pavement pounded and find him one. This hasn't been as easy as I thought it might be. 

Thanks. :bc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 3rd last winter beater was a 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra with the 3800 supercharged.  What an awesome highway car.  Great stereo, super comfortable heated leather seats.  For an old beater of a car that thing was great.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2018 at 11:24 PM, StevieWonder said:

That Olds Alero has only 97000 k , no one will buy it , if it sells it’ll be under a grand , maybe 800 bucks . 

 

On 8/8/2018 at 3:58 PM, stealth bomber said:

My 3rd last winter beater was a 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra with the 3800 supercharged.  What an awesome highway car.  Great stereo, super comfortable heated leather seats.  For an old beater of a car that thing was great.     

Stevie have you spoken to Puzzleboy. 

Edited by Poncho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering I haven't seen him since 2016

Edited by Poncho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



 I just finished purchasing a 2008 Chevy Malibu LT with a 2.4 ltr engine for $4,200 dollars.
It came with a safety and an E test which good for the rest of the year I believe?
It has 140,000 kms on it and all records show it was well maintained mechanically. IE: oil changes, etc.
It was driven by a 58 yr old woman.
It is almost fully loaded with the exception of a sun roof.
Leather heated seats, remote start, lots of airbags, CD player, adjustable gas and brake pedals, etc.
It has brand new tires, brakes and exhaust.

The only downside is a small patch of rust bubbles on the rear passenger quarter.
Nothing has broken through there yet but it is only a matter of time.
I will likely wait until next spring before deciding to repair it as I want to make sure it turns out to be a good car first and my son is happy with?
It will be rustproof sprayed within the next 2 months. 

Just curious what your thoughts are on them? I have heard the 2.4 is a good engine?
Is there anything that anyone knows that I should be aware of?
It will receive an oil/filter change when I get it home but I am curious if I should do any other fluid changes, like the trans, while I am at it? 

Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
 

Thanks to all those who were looking/keeping an eye open for me.

I appreciate it. :bc:

(P.S. Poncho, FS and alcohol usually isn't a good mix. Just saying)

Walker's Malibu 1.JPG

Walker's Malibu.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's basically the same car I sold this summer,  but mine had double the mileage.  Good cars,  the main work we do on them is just the regular wear and tear items like wheel bearings and suspension.  A drain and refill on the trans would be a good idea, and you can do it yourself.  I wouldn't go paying a couple hundred bucks for any fancy transmission flush, IMO.  Seen few problems with the 2.4 in the malibus, it was when they put them in the equinox that they turned into a piece of shit.  You won't need an e-test for ownership transfer, but I believe they will only let you put a one year sticker on it, then it will be due for an e-test in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sexy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, Poncho said:

Just wondering I haven't seen him since 2016

Yeah , he’s good . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

That's basically the same car I sold this summer,  but mine had double the mileage.  Good cars,  the main work we do on them is just the regular wear and tear items like wheel bearings and suspension.  A drain and refill on the trans would be a good idea, and you can do it yourself.  I wouldn't go paying a couple hundred bucks for any fancy transmission flush, IMO.  Seen few problems with the 2.4 in the malibus, it was when they put them in the equinox that they turned into a piece of shit.  You won't need an e-test for ownership transfer, but I believe they will only let you put a one year sticker on it, then it will be due for an e-test in 2019.

Good to hear, Stealth!

I am just getting around to finalizing things but it looks like tomorrow will be the day I pick it up. The owner is busy as am I so it's likely better anyways.

Speaking of Insurance, I opted out of getting collision on this car. Just PL-PD comp, etc. I figure for only a $4000 dollar car, collision just isn't worth it but I am wondering if I made the right decision? Collision adds to the cost significantly as most know, but I never did ask how much more. It is looking like he is going to be paying around $150 per month give or take without collision.  I would like to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks :bc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a tough call.  If it was a $1500 car than yeah, it doesn't make much sense to be paying for collision.  The cost will quickly outweigh the potential return.  But on a $4000+ car, you can be out that money pretty fast if something happens.  IMO you really need to find out how much collision will actually cost and decide from there.  As a 40 year old it doesn't cost me much more to have it, but an 18 year old might be a different story.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 10:57 AM, stealth bomber said:

It's a tough call.  If it was a $1500 car than yeah, it doesn't make much sense to be paying for collision.  The cost will quickly outweigh the potential return.  But on a $4000+ car, you can be out that money pretty fast if something happens.  IMO you really need to find out how much collision will actually cost and decide from there.  As a 40 year old it doesn't cost me much more to have it, but an 18 year old might be a different story.  

Yeah, I am going to have see how much extra it is first then take it from there? My son is currently out test driving it now. He's pretty pumped! :bc:

4 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

good deal

I think I did pretty good but time will tell I guess? It was certainly a better car for the money than what I seen out there, that's for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.