Looking for a car for my son.

Now that my son has his G2 he now wants his own car. We are looking for a full size sedan (way cheaper to insure!) like an Impala or Monte Carlo or something similar.

I have looked at a few Impalas and 1 Monte Carlo but all I have seen have issues of some sort., price being one of them. We are interested in something around the 2004 year to 2011-12 with low KMs, if possible and not really looking to spend more than 5 Gs but will entertain something if it is exceptional? Color isn't important but something that is in good shape and will be reliable to him is. I preferred a certified one but depending on what it needs, an uncertified one may also be acceptable.

I have  looked at both Kijiji and Autotrader and have seen a few but I thought I'd see if anyone knows of one for sale or one coming for sale that you think would fit our needs. (Durham Region/GTA preferred but will travel for a better deal)

Thanks. :bc:  

Nothing wrong with an Impala for reliability.  2006 and up would be my choice.  They went to a dry intake manifold and MLS head gaskets, much more reliable than the older 3.4L junk.  The only way I would consider an older model would be if it had a 3.8L.  Look for one that's been oil sprayed.  First spot they start to get soft is in front of the back wheels, like the pinch welds on the rocker panel bottoms.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve6 said:

Irv don't get him a grandpa car, civic or jetta!

Insurance! $$$$

6 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

Nothing wrong with an Impala for reliability.  2006 and up would be my choice.  They went to a dry intake manifold and MLS head gaskets, much more reliable than the older 3.4L junk.  The only way I would consider an older model would be if it had a 3.8L.  Look for one that's been oil sprayed.  First spot they start to get soft is in front of the back wheels, like the pinch welds on the rocker panel bottoms.   

Thanks Stealth Bomber. I just let a good 2006 LTZ slip away! It had the 3.9 in it however, which I assume is on the thirsty side? A 3.8 would be preferred as they have a great rep but I am only finding those in Monte Carlos. I would prefer a 3.5 but the 3.9 is based on that so the mileage isn't a whole lot better so I have read? I like the reduced H/P however. Everything I find around here locally is junk or way overpriced. Ottawa seems to have the majority of Impalas and the best prices but at over 4hrs away, I'm in no hurry to go shopping there. 

I have a line on a 2004 Monte with 187,000 kms but it has the service engine light on it. It has been rust proofed annually and is in decent shape but I am afraid the service engine light might be the catalytic converter, an 02 sensor or both? The seller seems to think its a gas cap but won't replace it? I think he knows something I don't? 

6 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

A cheap code reader might be a good investment if you're looking at older cars.  An e-test is no longer required for ownership transfer, so that makes things easier also.  

Yeah, likely not a bad idea at all. I wasn't aware an E-Test wasn't required for an ownership transfer. Thanks for letting me know SB. :bc:

4 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Hey Irv, don,t you already have an old Monty you could give him ? LOL

What about v6 mustangs ?

I haven't looked into those, BF, but if I were to guess, anything with a sports car name like Mustang or Camaro would also likely be pricey insurance wise if if the engine was on the small size?

6 hours ago, irv said:

Yeah, likely not a bad idea at all. I wasn't aware an E-Test wasn't required for an ownership transfer. Thanks for letting me know SB. :bc:

I haven't looked into those, BF, but if I were to guess, anything with a sports car name like Mustang or Camaro would also likely be pricey insurance wise if if the engine was on the small size?

If its his car, ie a third beyond you and your wife, he will be considered a full time driver, insurance will be expensive regardless of the route you take.  

I had a 2007 with the 3.5L for a winter beater for a couple years, I don't remember the numbers but it was really decent on gas on the highway.  I would imagine the 3.9 would be a little worse on fuel but still not bad.  If you want to stay with GM, another option for you might be a Malibu 2008 or newer.  My last winter beater was one of those with the 4 cylinder.  I didn't think I would like it as much as the Impala, but once I got used to it, it was a really nice car to drive.  The ones with 3.6L engines are rocketships, might not want one of those, lol. 

I'm glad they went to no e-test required for ownership transfer, it gives people a fighting chance at getting issues sorted out on older, affordable vehicles.  My last Malibu I sold needing a catalytic converter, told the buyer about the issue and he was fine with it because he could get a plate until next June.         

6 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

I had a 2007 with the 3.5L for a winter beater for a couple years, I don't remember the numbers but it was really decent on gas on the highway.  I would imagine the 3.9 would be a little worse on fuel but still not bad.  If you want to stay with GM, another option for you might be a Malibu 2008 or newer.  My last winter beater was one of those with the 4 cylinder.  I didn't think I would like it as much as the Impala, but once I got used to it, it was a really nice car to drive.  The ones with 3.6L engines are rocketships, might not want one of those, lol. 

I'm glad they went to no e-test required for ownership transfer, it gives people a fighting chance at getting issues sorted out on older, affordable vehicles.  My last Malibu I sold needing a catalytic converter, told the buyer about the issue and he was fine with it because he could get a plate until next June.         

3.6 is fast. 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

If its his car, ie a third beyond you and your wife, he will be considered a full time driver, insurance will be expensive regardless of the route you take.  

We are aware of that but as long as he stays under our policy instead of going out on his own, it will be a lot cheaper. He will, obviously, become the principal driver of the 3rd vehicle, plus he receives out discounts, so surprisingly, it is cheaper than I was expecting. 

1 hour ago, stealth bomber said:

I never really gave the Malibu much thought, but will now. Thanks SB. :bc:

With 100% certainty I can recommend an MK4 body jetta. TDI or 1.8 turbo. And dont let him get anything automatic.

I know so many people who cant drive a standard car and its got to be the easiest thing going. 

I sold my chev pickup 2 months ago just due to fuel and repair costs. Picked up a rock solid no rust 03 tdi jetta 5 speed only has 180k km on it. ive cleaned it up, new 17 inch rims, repainted front clip, tint, double din deck and added a sub in there I had collecting dust. All said and done ive got just over $5K into it and the fuel mileage is incredible. I get 5l per 100 km avg. compared to the 23l per 100km avg in my truck :lol: 

As for insurance, im now 21 fully licenced but with 3 outstanding tickets that clear up in the next year. I have that car insured full coverage for $1600 a year

Edited by Tommy

On 7/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, Tommy said:

With 100% certainty I can recommend an MK4 body jetta. TDI or 1.8 turbo. And dont let him get anything automatic.

I know so many people who cant drive a standard car and its got to be the easiest thing going. 

I sold my chev pickup 2 months ago just due to fuel and repair costs. Picked up a rock solid no rust 03 tdi jetta 5 speed only has 180k km on it. ive cleaned it up, new 17 inch rims, repainted front clip, tint, double din deck and added a sub in there I had collecting dust. All said and done ive got just over $5K into it and the fuel mileage is incredible. I get 5l per 100 km avg. compared to the 23l per 100km avg in my truck :lol: 

As for insurance, im now 21 fully licenced but with 3 outstanding tickets that clear up in the next year. I have that car insured full coverage for $1600 a year

I'll mention those to him, Tommy, but my gut tells me he will look at me like I have 2 heads. Also, my insurer told me me the smaller sized cars are usually more money to insure so I am guessing one of those would be pricier than a full size car we are looking for?

10 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

On Kijiji , search elderly . You find some good low k cars that are cheap . 

Never knew that, Stevie, but I will give it a try.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Tommy said:

A MKIV is way too much maintenance for Irv. But if you ever need any parts Tommy let me know, been driving MKIV TDI's for 10 years and have a fair bit of parts hanging around, in Beaverton so close to you as well. I had my timing tensioner let go on Thursday, timing jumped, bended a few valves, so Friday I went and bought a 03 jetta tdi from the Honda Dealer in Whitby they had for sale from a trade in for $750, a low 430,000 kms on it! Great beater cars but low mileage ones are too expensive.

19 hours ago, steve6 said:

A MKIV is way too much maintenance for Irv. But if you ever need any parts Tommy let me know, been driving MKIV TDI's for 10 years and have a fair bit of parts hanging around, in Beaverton so close to you as well. I had my timing tensioner let go on Thursday, timing jumped, bended a few valves, so Friday I went and bought a 03 jetta tdi from the Honda Dealer in Whitby they had for sale from a trade in for $750, a low 430,000 kms on it! Great beater cars but low mileage ones are too expensive.

Got a good condition headliner? Mine is fucked not looking forward to installing that one but it looks like shit

Yes you need to constantly be mindful of the timing in a diesel MK4.... zero clearance in them as it is.. 

There really is no maintenance that is out of the ordinary. Oil change every 5-7k km and fuel filter every other oil change. 

Edited by Tommy

On 7/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, irv said:

Now that my son has his G2 he now wants his own car. We are looking for a full size sedan (way cheaper to insure!) like an Impala or Monte Carlo or something similar.

I have looked at a few Impalas and 1 Monte Carlo but all I have seen have issues of some sort., price being one of them. We are interested in something around the 2004 year to 2011-12 with low KMs, if possible and not really looking to spend more than 5 Gs but will entertain something if it is exceptional? Color isn't important but something that is in good shape and will be reliable to him is. I preferred a certified one but depending on what it needs, an uncertified one may also be acceptable.

I have  looked at both Kijiji and Autotrader and have seen a few but I thought I'd see if anyone knows of one for sale or one coming for sale that you think would fit our needs. (Durham Region/GTA preferred but will travel for a better deal)

cadillac DeVille 1997 on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kitchener-waterloo/cadillac-deville-1997/1371542551?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

big ole caddy , km not bad for the year . Maybe not for him , but maybe a caddy fan out here . 

15 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

cadillac DeVille 1997 on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/kitchener-waterloo/cadillac-deville-1997/1371542551?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

big ole caddy , km not bad for the year . Maybe not for him , but maybe a caddy fan out here . 

:lol:He could be the pimp from his high school.       In all seriousness, I have seen a few caddys for decent money surprisingly. Just don't know about insurance, which I think would be spendy. Most I have seen look decent and are somewhat newish but most come uncertified? :dunno:

8 hours ago, irv said:

:lol:He could be the pimp from his high school.       In all seriousness, I have seen a few caddys for decent money surprisingly. Just don't know about insurance, which I think would be spendy. Most I have seen look decent and are somewhat newish but most come uncertified? :dunno:

Insurance is a funny thing.  Sometimes vehicles you think would be higher are lower as not alot of claims for his age group.

How many 19yr olds drive caddy's and have an insurance claim?

How many 19 yr olds drive Honda Civic and have claims?

More claims, more risk, higher premiums.

My 21 year old sons first car it was cheaper to insure a Infinity G35 2 door sport coupe then a 4 door Toyota Corolla.  I asked insurance why and they said more claims in that age group on Toyota Corollas.  

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Insurance is a funny thing.  Sometimes vehicles you think would be higher are lower as not alot of claims for his age group.

How many 19yr olds drive caddy's and have an insurance claim?

How many 19 yr olds drive Honda Civic and have claims?

More claims, more risk, higher premiums.

My 21 year old sons first car it was cheaper to insure a Infinity G35 2 door sport coupe then a 4 door Toyota Corolla.  I asked insurance why and they said more claims in that age group on Toyota Corollas.  

Interesting points. I never got too deep with questions when I was talking to my insurance agent, but I do remember her saying, any car that is on the smaller side and as a rep of being popular with the younger, joey racer type crowd, is going to be spendy. Maybe all insurance companies are different to a certain extent, or depending on ones location, but I would have guessed a G35 would have been one of those spendy types of cars? I have now been leaning towards a Malibu. I like the smaller sized engines that are in them (gas mileage) and there seems to be more of them around than Impalas. I thought I found a good one yesterday, but it looked WAY better in the pics than it did in person! :wall:

13 minutes ago, irv said:

Interesting points. I never got too deep with questions when I was talking to my insurance agent, but I do remember her saying, any car that is on the smaller side and as a rep of being popular with the younger, joey racer type crowd, is going to be spendy. Maybe all insurance companies are different to a certain extent, or depending on ones location, but I would have guessed a G35 would have been one of those spendy types of cars? I have now been leaning towards a Malibu. I like the smaller sized engines that are in them (gas mileage) and there seems to be more of them around than Impalas. I thought I found a good one yesterday, but it looked WAY better in the pics than it did in person! :wall:

Get quotes before you buy anything.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Get quotes before you buy anything.

For sure!

3 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

small pickup s10 or something might be your cheapest insurance 

Surprisingly not; at least not what I have been told anyways. I was also thinking/wanting him in a truck but after I heard that, and the fact he would prefer a car, I never really looked into them anymore. With a truck and most/all being rear wheel drive, I would want a 4 x 4 but then, of course, up goes the price of one. I was never really a big fan of those Colorados or Canyons anyways, and those would be what we would be limited to looking at mostly, imo. 

11 minutes ago, irv said:

For sure!

Surprisingly not; at least not what I have been told anyways. I was also thinking/wanting him in a truck but after I heard that, and the fact he would prefer a car, I never really looked into them anymore. With a truck and most/all being rear wheel drive, I would want a 4 x 4 but then, of course, up goes the price of one. I was never really a big fan of those Colorados or Canyons anyways, and those would be what we would be limited to looking at mostly, imo. 

How about a Jeep Wrangler?  Let him have some fun.

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How about a Jeep Wrangler?  Let him have some fun.

He can have that fun when he can afford to do it on his own. Under Dad's watch, not a chance. :cop: