Key River and The North

1trailmaker

On 7/25/2018 at 10:23 AM, irv said:

Idiots! I hope they get their ass sued off and the project is shut down for good! 

When i worked in Nevada and Montanna the crews had to have fire watch walking behind equipment.  I do not know what its like in Ontario but in USA its a very serious task.  I suspect because we do not see alot of fires in Southern Ontario it may have been taken a little lightly by the crews moving equipment.

In Northern Saskatchewan the helicopter that was supporting the five barge drilling rigs my customer was running would get pulled to fight fires periodically.  It was a little nerve wracking to be in the remote camp with one road in and out and hear that they may have to abandon camp.  We got regular updates and were told the fire was within 5 km of camp at one point.  But going past.  

And flying from Fort Mac into Northern Sask in a float plane and seeing the size of some of the burn areas was pretty cool.  It would be tough fighting through the areas as often the only trail was to drill rig sites and pumping stations for the pipelines.

On 7/24/2018 at 1:28 PM, revrnd said:

I would hope that people would notice pretty quick the MNR's water bombers are active in the area & stay off the lakes.

Not so smart in B.C. The boaters get in the way of the water bombers.

Boaters trying to squeeze out as much summer fun as possible on Okanagan Lake have been making it particularly difficult for fire crews in the area. Glen Burgess, of the B.C. Wildfire Service, told CTV News that boaters on the lake have been getting too close to firecrew helicopters and skimmers, forcing crews to delay efforts to scoop up water from the lake. The Okanagan Valley is home to three of the wildfires of note -- those that pose a risk to people and property -- currently burning in the province. The Glenfir Road, Mount Eneas, and Goode's Creek fires have consumed more than 3200 hectares since they were discovered on July 17. The Glenfir Road and Goode's Creek fires are still classified as out of control.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-wildfires-2018-b-c-firefighters-repeatedly-impeded-by-recreational-boaters-on-okanagan-lake-1.4761167

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

seems the fire is shifting directions and heading to my place

Evacuation Alert for the Alban area, West of the High Powered Hydro Lines on HWY 64.  Owls Nest

38036938_997258770454004_239179893273788

Not good. How far away is the fire from your place 

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Not good. How far away is the fire from your place 

"At this point, we're about six kilometres from Highway 69," Shayne McCool, the ministry's fire information officer said in a CBC News report. "We are continuously assessing the situation. We're using air attack as a main resource … to try and slow its spread."

still 20 kms away 

8 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

"At this point, we're about six kilometres from Highway 69," Shayne McCool, the ministry's fire information officer said in a CBC News report. "We are continuously assessing the situation. We're using air attack as a main resource … to try and slow its spread."

still 20 kms away 

Hopefully they can get it under control.  The wife's parents boated up to Britt yesterday and sent me a  pic of the smoke.  They have to taken the open water to killarney tomorrow as the inner channel is closed to boat traffic now

Edited by 04nightfire

On 7/31/2018 at 12:52 PM, 1trailmaker said:

It might cross hwy69 today, strong winds and 30'c temps - just a few kms to go

All rain is missing the mark 

As of today it still hasn't crossed hwy 69. But is still growing.12,000 hectares-- about 100 sq miles.