vessel licenses - how do you find out who owns a boat?

steve6

is there a way with boats like you can with cars and uvips to find previous owner? Acquired a seadoo from someone trying to sell it to pay some bills many years ago and received a ticket today on simcoe for no vessel license, not really impressed to say the least, the boat isn't stolen but i dont know the legal previous owner. Filling out the transfer form on the site they want previous owner info, anyone run into this situation? Best way to go about it?

You don't have to know the previous "legal" owner.   Just put the information for the guy you bought it from, as he was the "owner".  I registered one of mine that way with no issues. 

12 hours ago, odot1 said:

Have you tried going directly to Service Canada office?

Service Canada no longer does any boat registration in person!!!.  Strictly online or by Post. You should know that by the number of fines the SAVE Teams have been giving out this summer for NOT having  upto date Regs. You should try the T.C .web site, So the official response is to have accurate information on lost and  say an overturned boat and try to find the occupants whereabouts Lota good that does when most fatality's on the water are from smaller unregistered watercraft.

The Transport Canada website is not really that helpful except to tell you to fill out the transfer/new/update form (PCELS). I have submitted a few inquiries so hoping to hear back.

If you go to Service Canada website it does not even mention services for Boats, but I am pretty sure Transport Canada has sourced the work to them(or had at one point?). It changes so much its really hard to understand, your only real option is to use their "PCELS" blindly and hope it goes through.

14 hours ago, gtserider said:

Service Canada no longer does any boat registration in person!!!.  Strictly online or by Post. You should know that by the number of fines the SAVE Teams have been giving out this summer for NOT having  upto date Regs. You should try the T.C .web site, So the official response is to have accurate information on lost and  say an overturned boat and try to find the occupants whereabouts Lota good that does when most fatality's on the water are from smaller unregistered watercraft.

I've not issued a single fine for this offence this season.  Everyone I've encountered has been properly registered and up to date.  When I registered my own personal boat I did it online with no real issues.  The registration iformation does help identify the owners of a vessel for the emergency situations you indicated AS WELL as helping with stolen vessel and PWC recovery.  No different than a vehicle, sled, ATV or motorcycle.