What do you do for a living??

Engineering Technologist, work for a provincial utility.  My main job was designing pipeline construction drawings but I'm about 1/4 way through a term as inspector, making sure the contractors install the pipe correctly and to standard.

20 hours ago, sledderj said:

The control systems they use have come a long way since dry contacts and autodialers.  Although sometimes simpler is better.  

They were all done with PLC5's and SLC's.  There really is nothing new in a present day ControlLogix, (instruction set wise) that would benefit that process other than the older controllers are on legacy support.

Most modern HMI's have texting or email capabilities, so the autodialers would be replaced.  The instruments do not require anything more than an analog or contact unless you are reading more info.  A waste to add network connectivity just to pick up one data point.

On 6/2/2016 at 9:32 PM, jamieharrower24 said:

Well in the great grand picture it does eventually lol, but not in the sense I think youre picturing. All depends on the facility, the one Im at now is a deep lake intake so its pretty awesome source water. My first facility I ever ran was one of the most complex in North America due to the source of water on a shallow river that was downstream for other major cities discharging there "treated" waste water from the shit plants. Rainstorms and spring runoff would make the intake water turn from clear to thicker than chocolate milk in hours. Its a very overlooked line of work and should be, as long as people can open there taps and have clean safe water then we are doing our job. When it gets fucked up it hits the news pretty big, ie. Flint Mi.  

That should have never happened :flush: All those involved who knew about that deserve to go to prison for a long time

On 04/06/2016 at 4:06 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

They were all done with PLC5's and SLC's.  There really is nothing new in a present day ControlLogix, (instruction set wise) that would benefit that process other than the older controllers are on legacy support.

Most modern HMI's have texting or email capabilities, so the autodialers would be replaced.  The instruments do not require anything more than an analog or contact unless you are reading more info.  A waste to add network connectivity just to pick up one data point.

The treatment processes have evolved a fair bit.  We are seeing a lot of membrane systems now instead of traditional media filters.  The control used on theose membrane skids is pretty extensive.  Way more I/O then I would have ever guessed would be on one anyway.  Same thing for U/V trains in the bigger plants.  All of it has their own stand alone proprietary controllers and then tie into the overall plant process control via some kind of network.    

16 hours ago, sledderj said:

The treatment processes have evolved a fair bit.  We are seeing a lot of membrane systems now instead of traditional media filters.  The control used on theose membrane skids is pretty extensive.  Way more I/O then I would have ever guessed would be on one anyway.  Same thing for U/V trains in the bigger plants.  All of it has their own stand alone proprietary controllers and then tie into the overall plant process control via some kind of network.    

The U/V trains have been around for quite some time and I was responsible for the overall plant process control.  I did integrated two different plants that used TrojanUVs, it used a PLC5 to communicate to their proprietary units and would get a ton of info from them hardwired.  Duh, just use the comms and none of that was required, would have saved a ton of wiring, at least on the information exchange.

I have made a great living replacing proprietary controllers and porting their algorithms into modern PAC's for various industries. 

was a transmission rebuilder for 25yrs, owned my own shop for 14yrs and sold it 4yrs ago, now i'm a heavy equipment tech working for Aecon 

On 12/06/2016 at 8:13 AM, pete24 said:

i restore powersports stuff for rich people, like this 77 elsinore, o ya i love my job

0EFFD79A-CB5B-4251-B154-3CE561C48625_zps

5ED87151-0CAD-4666-92F0-10C67C568E15_zps

That's awesome :friends:. I restored  to the best of my skill, my old 81 yz250 6 speed . Took almost a year but it was worth it. Also had a left hand kick start yz490 . Awesome shit 

• Gold Member

Field Service Engineer for a major scale manufacturer in the Wisconsin north woods.

I travel the world to install and support our equipment that our dealers sell.

25 minutes ago, joesale said:

Field Service Engineer for a major scale manufacturer in the Wisconsin north woods.

I travel the world to install and support our equipment that our dealers sell.

Oh..that's why you like to weigh in on things,it all makes sense now.

Sorry but I had to do it. :lol:

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

Oh..that's why you like to weigh in on things,it all makes sense now.

Sorry but I had to do it. :lol:

That's pretty clever.

• 4 months later...
On June 1, 2016 at 0:49 AM, ArcticWolf 24 said:

Diesel truck technician. 

This truck wouldn't turn over. I found out pretty quick what the problem was. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Recently seen a Honda Aquatrax that a fellow coworker was following alga-rhythm's of procedural diagnosis for starter failure.. Told him to pull plugs (was probably hydraulic'd from kids porpoising), sure enough, one hit at starter soaked service shops ceiling 30' above.