Supreme Court deals crippling blow to public unions, bars fee collection from non-members

• Platinum Contributing Member

More winning.  :lol:   

Supreme Court deals blow to unions, rules against forced fees for government workers

In a major legal and political defeat for big labor, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that state government workers cannot be forced to pay so-called "fair share" fees to support collective bargaining and other union activities.

The conservative majority said a union's contract negotiations over pay and benefits were inextricably linked with its broader political activities, and concluded workers had a limited constitutional right not to underwrite such "speech." The case specifically examined union fees paid by non-members. 

“This procedure violates the First Amendment and cannot continue,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion. “Neither an agency fee nor any other payment to the union may be deducted from a nonmember’s wages, nor may any other attempt be made to collect such a payment, unless the employee affirmatively consents to pay.” 

After announcing the last of two remaining decisions, the court recessed for the summer without any justice announcing a retirement from the bench. There had been muted speculation that senior Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy would be prepared to step down after three decades on the high court, but no announcement arrived. 

While the current case applies only to public-sector employees, meanwhile, the political and financial stakes are potentially huge for the broader American labor union movement, which had been sounding the alarm about the legal fight.

42 minutes ago, Highmark said:

More winning.  :lol:   

Supreme Court deals blow to unions, rules against forced fees for government workers

In a major legal and political defeat for big labor, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that state government workers cannot be forced to pay so-called "fair share" fees to support collective bargaining and other union activities.

The conservative majority said a union's contract negotiations over pay and benefits were inextricably linked with its broader political activities, and concluded workers had a limited constitutional right not to underwrite such "speech." The case specifically examined union fees paid by non-members. 

“This procedure violates the First Amendment and cannot continue,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion. “Neither an agency fee nor any other payment to the union may be deducted from a nonmember’s wages, nor may any other attempt be made to collect such a payment, unless the employee affirmatively consents to pay.” 

After announcing the last of two remaining decisions, the court recessed for the summer without any justice announcing a retirement from the bench. There had been muted speculation that senior Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy would be prepared to step down after three decades on the high court, but no announcement arrived. 

While the current case applies only to public-sector employees, meanwhile, the political and financial stakes are potentially huge for the broader American labor union movement, which had been sounding the alarm about the legal fight.

The four justices on the left are full on retard. Just like yesterday when they voted against the travel ban. They do not follow the constitution. they are full on activists just like the 9th district 

12 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The four justices on the left are full on retard. Just like yesterday when they voted against the travel ban. They do not follow the constitution. they are full on activists just like the 9th district 

You beeper read the constitution at least once.

Just now, Snoslinger said:

Are these non-members collecting the same bennies as others? If they don’t want to pay for the bennies, don’t give them bennies. Seems pretty simple. 

Simple partial solution.   Make all political donations unions give to candidates or PAC's come from separate fee's that the member has a choice.  Wonder why they don't want to do that?

This still doesn't cover the fact that many union employee's don't get the full benefit of their work and abilities as its negotiated as a group and not an individual.

Got a good friend that was a union guy at a very large equipment manufacturer.  When the company was making some cutbacks the company wanted him for the exp department.   Guy had experience operating the equipment, CDL to haul, certified welder, CNC experience, assembly line experience could do about anything.   He got laid off and an older union guy with zero capabilities outside assembly line experience got the job.  Complete bullshit.  If unions would simply make adjustments to some of their old school thinking they would have 3x's the membership.  

• Like 1

It's bizarre that there was precedent permitting this in the first place. This is like a rule giving your employer the right to vote for public officials in your name, just because you work there and you "benefit" from his company.

So -- I guess unions will now be forced to appeal to workers and gain their consent/support for their decisions? How unamerican! It's much more American just to take money from unwilling people and spend it on whatever political purposes you like.

• USA Contributing Member

Production people where I work are union, company for years has been "shrinking" the union footprint through buyouts to the older crowd that vote for it in return granting pay and benefit reductions for new hires/union members and a reduction in union members by moving jobs to non union plants.  Old union guys don't care about the new guys and the company knows this so they buy them out.  So much for the "union" looking out for everyone.

Too funny.  ABC picked a sound bite of a guy talking about what a travesty this is.  When he went on to say - “huge loss for Dems who benefits from mass amounts of  union ..........,dead silence , *cough, clear throat. 

they pulled the plug on him!!! :lol:

5 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

Are these non-members collecting the same bennies as others? If they don’t want to pay for the bennies, don’t give them bennies. Seems pretty simple. 

UNion bennies no. Just getting the same contract from employer as union members.

4 hours ago, Snake said:

It's bizarre that there was precedent permitting this in the first place. This is like a rule giving your employer the right to vote for public officials in your name, just because you work there and you "benefit" from his company.

So -- I guess unions will now be forced to appeal to workers and gain their consent/support for their decisions? How unamerican! It's much more American just to take money from unwilling people and spend it on whatever political purposes you like.

Its just public employee unions.

30 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Only dems get the money.   So yeah. 

You sound like my rww mil who is in town this week. She said unions need to be “bi-partisan” and contribute to both parties :lol:

whh would a union contribute to a party wanting them gone?

5 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

You sound like my rww mil who is in town this week. She said unions need to be “bi-partisan” and contribute to both parties :lol:

Why would someone who doesn't agree with a liberal agenda support the union with their dues?

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

What??!! I said nothing of the sort. :lol:

I'm just stating a fact.  Lots of local dems are saying the same thing. Everyone knows Union money goes to dems 90% of the time.  

Mil sounds like a smart gal .  You should hear her out. 😁

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Why would someone who doesn't agree with a liberal agenda support the union with their dues?

Then they probably shouldn’t be in a union and stick to the principles of the right. You are a great example. Why are not out in the  real world, earning $15 an hour?

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

What??!! I said nothing of the sort. :lol:

I'm just stating a fact.  Lots of local dems are saying the same thing. Everyone knows Union money goes to dems 90% of the time.  

Mil sounds like a smart gal .  You should hear her out. 😁

Complete whacko and a religious  nut job as well. Reminds me of busmann :lol:

14 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Then they probably shouldn’t be in a union and stick to the principles of the right. You are a great example. Why are not out in the  real world, earning $15 an hour?

Not nice.  She probably prays for your heathen lib soul , too!   

:lol:  

27 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

Funny how you disregard the 16 years I spent sticking to my principles wearing green, huh?

Strange that.... kinda like a union, but made up of 100% of people who volunteer to join it.

How are you living that shows you 'sticking to the principles'?

Edited by Snake

• Gold Member

Do state government employed workers negotiate benefits through union....  always thought that 401’s, pensions and healthcare was just the same and determined by the legislatures????