Speed limits - what gives?

2 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

I'll be glad when I retire. That T.O. is the armpit of Canada. Mtl is the asshole.

What i find very funny...is when people out here say Calgary is alot like Toronto.

Its got a long long way to go imo.

:lol:

I blame granturismo videogames, lack of father figures teaching how to drive a standard, soccer moms with dented Lexus SUVs, Facebook, and the overall lack of ability to realize the ribbon (the fine line between awesome and failure). Drive fast, take chances, is lost on the generation. Safety scissors in school, ABS brakes, power steering, airbags in the windows, everyone is allergic to something. Buncha pussies! The old saying goes, "there's the ones who have crashed, and the ones that haven't" taught life lessons on more than one level... :ashamed:

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

thats why us big trucks will run the zipper to hold traffic back

I do the same when I have my landscape trailer on

US Interstate highways are designed and built for 80MPH maximum speed so 70 is considered the safety factor knowing some will drive over that..to show that 80mph is the highways design go into any State DOT Div. of Hwys office and ask to see any interstate highways "AS Built" plan, it's available to the public.

Edited by XCR1250

20 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

Here’s an attempt at forum unification - why do we have such low limits compared to way cooler places like Germany?  Parts of their autobahn are still limitless (last I checked) and they had a lower accident rate than our interstate system.  I’ve heard their roads are designed and built to a higher level than ours ie. thicker concrete, etc.  But still, our 65-70 mph limits are sooo lame especially considering how well todays cars handle and brake.  But none of our politicians ever champion for raising them or do they and I just never hear about it?  Limitless might be a stretch but surely we could fit 3 digits on our limit signage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/germanys-autobahn-vs-us-highways-compared-2016-3#german-drivers-are-especially-good-because-of-a-strict-licensing-test-system-2

• The annual fatality rate on the Autobahn in 2.7 per billion kilometers traveled. The United States has a 4.5 fatality rate for the same distance and highly controlled speeds to boot.

https://brandongaille.com/17-fascinating-autobahn-accident-statistics/

Germany has much tougher drivers ed, and they enforce slower cars must stay in the right lane and that the left lane is for passing only. 

I must ask you folks who hang out in the left lane when just cruising and not passing, why do you do that?

6 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Germany has much tougher drivers ed, and they enforce slower cars must stay in the right lane and that the left lane is for passing only. 

I must ask you folks who hang out in the left lane when just cruising and not passing, why do you do that?

I stay in the left lane but keep passing cars on the right

I drive in Germany fairly often.  There is a misconception about how fast you can drive for the most part.  There are very few areas with wide open running for legal EU drivers. (The laws are tough to enforce with some foreign drivers, and some of those drivers really haul the mail).  There are different levels of license skills.  The bahn drivers are tested and approved for that level.  Passing on the right is a big no no.  Thank God.  You can not imagine how much easier it makes driving.  Did I mention easy?  It is a lot easier to drive over there.  The roads are consistently marked, exits, upcoming construction, lane shifts, etc.  The passing deal does make it so easy.  I don't understand why we have such a tough time with that concept.  It is pretty simple.  Stay right until you reach a slower vehicle.  Then you pass.  On the left.  It is the KISS principle and it works.

BTW, when you do drive in areas that have open driving, it is impressive.  No matter how fast you are moving, someone will still fly by.  Watch your mirrors.  You learn to pass safely by watching for potential high speed vehicles coming before even moving over to pass.  It is a blast to drive on the road with people that know how to drive.

They also do an excellent job of managing traffic.  They use an excellent system for slowing down traffic for upcoming hazards like accidents and construction zones.  Those boards over the highway manage the lane speeds individually while they also click off the user taxes. 😙 Upcoming hazards and exits are marked off progressively as you get closer, so there are no surprises.

A funny note to the signs.  They also have a sense of humor.  The construction zones are marked with various versions of smiley/frowning faces based upon your progress through the zone.

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

I drive in Germany fairly often.  There is a misconception about how fast you can drive for the most part.  There are very few areas with wide open running for legal EU drivers. (The laws are tough to enforce with some foreign drivers, and some of those drivers really haul the mail).  There are different levels of license skills.  The bahn drivers are tested and approved for that level.  Passing on the right is a big no no.  Thank God.  You can not imagine how much easier it makes driving.  Did I mention easy?  It is a lot easier to drive over there.  The roads are consistently marked, exits, upcoming construction, lane shifts, etc.  The passing deal does make it so easy.  I don't understand why we have such a tough time with that concept.  It is pretty simple.  Stay right until you reach a slower vehicle.  Then you pass.  On the left.  It is the KISS principle and it works.

BTW, when you do drive in areas that have open driving, it is impressive.  No matter how fast you are moving, someone will still fly by.  Watch your mirrors.  You learn to pass safely by watching for potential high speed vehicles coming before even moving over to pass.  It is a blast to drive on the road with people that know how to drive.

They also do an excellent job of managing traffic.  They use an excellent system for slowing down traffic for upcoming hazards like accidents and construction zones.  Those boards over the highway manage the lane speeds individually while they also click off the user taxes. 😙 Upcoming hazards and exits are marked off progressively as you get closer, so there are no surprises.

A funny note to the signs.  They also have a sense of humor.  The construction zones are marked with various versions of smiley/frowning faces based upon your progress through the zone.

Do they have assholes paying more attn to theior phone then whats going on around them?

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

zactly it's fucking maddening.  

Blows me away when I see some fucktard finally move over , you pass them then they get back in the left lane. Even thou no one is in front of them in the right.