Speed limits - what gives?

Here’s an attempt at forum unification - why do we have such low limits compared to way cooler places like Germany?  Parts of their autobahn are still limitless (last I checked) and they had a lower accident rate than our interstate system.  I’ve heard their roads are designed and built to a higher level than ours ie. thicker concrete, etc.  But still, our 65-70 mph limits are sooo lame especially considering how well todays cars handle and brake.  But none of our politicians ever champion for raising them or do they and I just never hear about it?  Limitless might be a stretch but surely we could fit 3 digits on our limit signage.

http://www.businessinsider.com/germanys-autobahn-vs-us-highways-compared-2016-3#german-drivers-are-especially-good-because-of-a-strict-licensing-test-system-2

• The annual fatality rate on the Autobahn in 2.7 per billion kilometers traveled. The United States has a 4.5 fatality rate for the same distance and highly controlled speeds to boot.

https://brandongaille.com/17-fascinating-autobahn-accident-statistics/

First of all they have better drivers in Germany than we do.  It costs quite a bit to get your license there and there are still penalties for poor driving.  We could easily raise our limits, but that would lower ticket revenue.  Last year when they were raising the limits I'm Michigan, they had hearings about it.  They were trying to raise the limit to 80.  Some asshole from AAA got up there and testified that they'd have to redesign many of the curves on our expressways for cars to be able to negotiate them at those speeds.  How full of shit can you be?  SMH

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

First of all they have better drivers in Germany than we do.  It costs quite a bit to get your license there and there are still penalties for poor driving.  We could easily raise our limits, but that would lower ticket revenue.  Last year when they were raising the limits I'm Michigan, they had hearings about it.  They were trying to raise the limit to 80.  Some asshole from AAA got up there and testified that they'd have to redesign many of the curves on our expressways for cars to be able to negotiate them at those speeds.  How full of shit can you be?  SMH

I've read that they have better drivers and that its harder to get your license there, which I'm fine with all of that implemented here.  I don't think Germans are inherently superior motorists, but rather that Americans just aren't being challenged enough.  Americans are challenged so little that they find the act of driving boring and find other things to do like eating, putting on makeup, texting.  If the limits were raised enough to get people to focus I think it would be far safer.  I also think road rage incidents would be less likely because people would be able to vent their "need for speed" instead of bottling it up.  I agree that that AAA guy is dumb as shit and even minivans can take off ramps at 150% of the current posted speeds.  I don't think many of us would shed a tear for the "lost revenues" from speeding tickets as I'm sure you wouldn't.  I know @f7ben certainly wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep.

how about we start with seeing if we can get slow vehicles out of the left lanes first because if our drivers can;t handle that they surely will have issue w/ more speed.  If half the effort went into enforcing courtesy as the easy tickets out roads would be safer

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Angry ginger said:

how about we start with seeing if we can get slow vehicles out of the left lanes first because if our drivers can;t handle that they surely will have issue w/ more speed.  If half the effort went into enforcing courtesy as the easy tickets out roads would be safer

fucking this is my life 4 days a week

Just now, Rigid1 said:

fucking this is my life 4 days a week

i've decided fly through lanes on the highway here cause a big chunk of my daily issues,  trucks get out into lane 3 to go through there and then never get back over to 1 and 2 where they belong.  4 lane highway most morning i can run lane 1 quicker than the rest which should never happen.  they need to get rid of the toll booths and toll by plate that way big rigs stay where they should then it should be open season on prius and subaru drivers.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I think slow pokes in the passing lane has increased over the years. I usually a few on 95 north of Bangor doing about 60 in a 75 zone. 

I don't often have problems with left lane hogs down here in rural central IL but I can see why they would be annoying.  IL passed a law back in 2004 making it a $75 fine though I don't know how often they enforce it.

Just now, XC.Morrison said:

I don't often have problems with left lane hogs down here in rural central IL but I can see why they would be annoying.  IL passed a law back in 2004 making it a $75 fine though I don't know how often they enforce it.

we have the laws here,  they are just never enforced.  

1 hour ago, XC.Morrison said:

I've read that they have better drivers and that its harder to get your license there, which I'm fine with all of that implemented here.  I don't think Germans are inherently superior motorists, but rather that Americans just aren't being challenged enough.  Americans are challenged so little that they find the act of driving boring and find other things to do like eating, putting on makeup, texting.  If the limits were raised enough to get people to focus I think it would be far safer.  I also think road rage incidents would be less likely because people would be able to vent their "need for speed" instead of bottling it up.  I agree that that AAA guy is dumb as shit and even minivans can take off ramps at 150% of the current posted speeds.  I don't think many of us would shed a tear for the "lost revenues" from speeding tickets as I'm sure you wouldn't.  I know @f7ben certainly wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep.

I agree completely with your post. Germans aren't inherently better, we have too many distracted and thoughtless drivers.  I understand you can lose your license in Germany for passing on the right.  I also read you can lose it for holding up traffic. Even if both are just big fines, these alone would keep a shitload of road rage down and make traffic move efficiently.  You know, just with everything else, it's all about the money. I've read articles from the Michigan State Police about speed limits.  They know what to do, the powers that be simply won't let them.  

12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Semi trucks should be restricted to one lane only on freeways...  if they get in the passing lane it should be a $1000 fine

Not too many things more aggravating than cruising along at 80 and a truck pulls in the left lane and goes 66 to pass another truck going 65.

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
25 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

I agree completely with your post. Germans aren't inherently better, we have too many distracted and thoughtless drivers.  I understand you can lose your license in Germany for passing on the right.  I also read you can lose it for holding up traffic. Even if both are just big fines, these alone would keep a shitload of road rage down and make traffic move efficiently.  You know, just with everything else, it's all about the money. I've read articles from the Michigan State Police about speed limits.  They know what to do, the powers that be simply won't let them.  

how about the cunts that speed up to the work zone and then try and get over and make a 150 cars stop for their ass..Fuck that shit pisses me right the fuck off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

how about the cunts that speed up to the work zone and then try and get over and make a 150 cars stop for their ass..Fuck that shit pisses me right the fuck off

Oh shit, yea, you know it!  There needs to be a special timeout on the side of the road for those fuckers

• Like 1

Never been to Germany , My understanding is that you are in deep shit trouble if caught eating food , drinking, texting etc. on the Autobahn .  In America they are only after easy revenue , which is always focused on speed. The left lane abusers that plug up the roads need very heavy oversight and fines. Same with adult bicycle operators , stop signs and stop lights to them are meaningless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Semi trucks should be restricted to one lane only on freeways...  if they get in the passing lane it should be a $1000 fine

The 4 wheelers would have to learn how to safely drive around us then.  Get your ass up to speed entering a freeway.  Get in the lane needed to exit 1/2 mile before to safely get off, etc.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Because unfortunately driving laws cant be set for the best smartest drivers. They have to be designed around the stupidest worst drivers.And this country has a fuckload of both.

Some of the smartest people I know shouldn't have a driver's licence.  Shit, I'm shocked when they show up to work with pants on or a matching pair of shoes most of the time. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

thats why us big trucks will run the zipper to hold traffic back

• Thanks 1