How The Opioid Crisis Is Depressing America's Labor Force

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I know a couple guys like that around here and in that age demographic....it's fucked up.

Was listening to NHPR yesterday. THey said 1 out of 3 white men in that age group who are unemployed admitted to taking a pain pill within the last 24 hrs.

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Was listening to NHPR yesterday. THey said 1 out of 3 white men in that age group who are unemployed admitted to taking a pain pill within the last 24 hrs.

Damn.....between big pharma and overprescribing doctors a real mess has been created although they have cracked down on the prescribing end of it. 

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

60 minutes last sunday ( I think it was a rerun ) was showing a pharmacy in a town with 400 people being delivered over 9 million pain pills.

Good god....yeah that seems legit. 😡

1 minute ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

what a huge epidemic. I have never known anyone hooked on something like this. What a disaster for some people.

Know a guy here that got hooked on pills along with his son and then they got into the Heroin....son recently died and the dad is in jail....fucking sad  shit.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Know a guy here that got hooked on pills along with his son and then they got into the Heroin....son recently died and the dad is in jail....fucking sad  shit.

I have known 5  people who died from heroin. 40's age. No idea if they started on opioids or continued it. Probably. I was never close to these people. Their life style was nothing like mine.

Heroin will kill you. we've always know that. Why try it and chance it? Fuck that shit.

2 minutes ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

I have known 5  people who died from heroin. 40's age. No idea if they started on opioids or continued it. Probably. I was never close to these people. Their life style was nothing like mine.

Heroin will kill you. we've always know that. Why try it and chance it? Fuck that shit.

Can't get the pills and they are expensive but they still need a fix...enter Heroin.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Can't get the pills and they are expensive but they still need a fix...enter Heroin.

yeah.. I guess the shit is really cheap too. I mean Worchester Ma. has a few young people dying EVERYDAY from this shit. fuck that's bad

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

60 minutes last sunday ( I think it was a rerun ) was showing a pharmacy in a town with 400 people being delivered over 9 million pain pills.

That pharmacy was shut down in 2012.  Their practice was taking advantage of a changing monitoring system at the time.  The number of drugs allowed for distribution in any given region are determined by historical data and demographics.  They finally got stopped when the new system highlighted their out of whack numbers.

The laws in place are constantly evolving to deal with this issue.  The DEA used to require individual pharmacies to track "addictive" drug distribution.  The process worked fairly well when everyone picked up their prescriptions at the mom and pop pharmacies down the street.  Things changed when corporate drug stores opened up all over.    Every new store had to establish a new drug history for the area.  That essentially meant a free for all on prescriptions until the new history was established.  It was too much for the DEA to regulate and monitor.  So, they made the distributors responsible for the monitoring of drug distribution based upon the local region.  That worked OK until drugs started going through the mail.  The process for monitoring regional distribution is flawed.  You would be surprised by how few people there are in the DEA working in a region.  There is no way for them to "watch" everything.

There is a lot of finger pointing going on with this problem.  None of that will solve the issue.  We like our drugs in this country.  We also like our money.  There is an insane amount of money in this business.

Whatever the driver they are being over prescribed like mad.   How much my kids were prescribed after major surgeries is insane.   Even more insane was the comments from the nurses and doctors.   "If that's not enough we can give you more prescriptions."  

What really was crazy is how quick they wanted you off them while in the Hospital but then sent you home with weeks supply.   That always bothered me.

They are being over prescribed.  We want to be pain free and we want it fast.  Drugs fit the bill.  How often do they ask you about your level of pain whenever you see the doc?  They even have a special process to ask children.

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Opiate use is in rapid decline. In fact drug use in general is dropping in middle and high school. The trend began late 2016 and no one seems to know why. Weird. 

Users dying off drying up portions of the market making them less available?  

Seems to me the death rate is still going up for non prescriptive use.

https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-alcohol-news/deaths-involving-heroin-fentanyl-spike-prescription-opioid-deaths-decline/

Edited by Highmark

Just now, favoritos said:

They are being over prescribed.  We want to be pain free and we want it fast.  Drugs fit the bill.  How often do they ask you about your level of pain whenever you see the doc?  They even have a special process to ask children.

You’ve put your finger on the real issue. Prescribing is linked closely to patient satisfaction rates. Patient satisfaction rates are linked to reimbursement rates. The change in this piece of healthcare delivery needs to be both attitudinal and procedural in order to fully address the issue. I’ve sat on opioid summit commutes with nurses and doctors. The determination they have to prescribe these things is obsessional. They are oblivious to the research which is very clear. Especially the danger it poses to prescribing these things to children. Children prescribed opiates for more than 3-5 days have unbelievable rates of addiction to narcotics as adults. Prolonged use opens up some very dangerous pathways in the developing brain that leads to high vulnerabilities to dependence later in life. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, favoritos said:

every time I go to the drs which is often, they always ask me if im in pain. Sometimes I am, but I just tell them im fine

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Users dying off drying up portions of the market making them less available?  

Seems to me the death rate is still going up for non prescriptive use.

https://drugfree.org/learn/drug-and-alcohol-news/deaths-involving-heroin-fentanyl-spike-prescription-opioid-deaths-decline/

There’s always a lag with research. I work in the trenches with addiction. Our team sees trends first hand. Crack and meth are making a come back and opiates are fading fast. The main drug is crack. Crack and meth will fuck up your life, but it won’t kill you. There’s a cottage industry of methadone and suboxone treatment right now. So a lot of junkies are out of the scene through those programs. 

Edited by spin_dry

Just now, spin_dry said:

There’s always a lag with research. I work in the trenches with addiction. Our team sees trends first hand. Crack and meth are making a come back and opiates are fading fast. The main drug is crack. Crack and meth will fuck up your life, but it won’t kill you. There’s a cottage industry of methadone and suboxone treatment right. So a lot of junkies are out of the scene through those programs. 

Understood.   Interesting how drugs go thru cycles.   Wasn't Heroin huge in the 60's and 70's?   Maybe not nationally like recently.

49 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s always a lag with research. I work in the trenches with addiction. Our team sees trends first hand. Crack and meth are making a come back and opiates are fading fast. The main drug is crack. Crack and meth will fuck up your life, but it won’t kill you. There’s a cottage industry of methadone and suboxone treatment right now. So a lot of junkies are out of the scene through those programs. 

Opiates are getting harder to obtain.  Media hasn't caught on to how much the rules have changed.  Typical.

Crack and meth are almost perfect drugs for dealers.  They are easy to transport and the profits are getting huge again.  Also harder to detect especially compared to mj.  Nice thing about selling those is the rapid addiction rate.  It only takes one time to be part of the club. 

We almost kicked meth to the curb with the difficulty obtaining pseudoephedrine, etc.  Unfortunately, the drug money peeps realized all the moola they could make fast and easy.  They created a whole new manufacturing and distribution with even better product.  Crack and meth don't get the fancy media coverage like opiates.  Again, typical.  I think they are worse for average society.  Too easy and cheap.  But, they don't take out celebrities.  They just take out the working class Joe.  Same group of people that are not likely to get real treatment for long term recovery.