wifi antenna

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Possibly............you are currently connecting with your laptop's built in WiFi I assume?

How far are you from the wireless router/AP?

Do you have a PC? If so, download and install "WiFi Analyzer" on your laptop. There is a section in there that will show the signal strength for your network. Find that and let me know what the number is. It will be measured in negative dB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Possibly............you are currently connecting with your laptop's built in WiFi I assume?

How far are you from the wireless router/AP?

I'm not sure exactly but probably 500ft. An apt complex offers free wifi to its tenants and I'm at the end of the dock in front of said apt complex.

OK, yeah, -73 is right on the edge of being able to see and use a wireless network. You're probably able to connect to it for maybe a short time and then it drops. Chances are that a higher powered wireless adapter would help. 

I would recommend something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Technology-Wireless-AC-Dual-Band-HD65U/dp/B00K6P0H70?th=1

You want the "Hi-Gain Wireless-600AC" model.

Otherwise, would you be able to tie this adapter somewhere on the boat or dock and then run a USB cable to your laptop?

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, SSFB said:

OK, yeah, -73 is right on the edge of being able to see and use a wireless network. You're probably able to connect to it for maybe a short time and then it drops. Chances are that a higher powered wireless adapter would help. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Technology-Wireless-AC-Dual-Band-HD65U/dp/B00K6P0H70?th=1

Otherwise, would you be able to tie this adapter somewhere on the boat or dock and then run a USB cable to your laptop?

I might be able to rig something on the boat but probably not the dock. I'll try the usb antenna and see how it works.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

A piece of advice for you, when I'm sitting on my dock I go there to escape this place of misfit derelicts. :lmao:

Thats good advice!!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Use hotspot. Let your laptop wi fi to find your phone / network name  then click it to connect enter password , done. 

That's definitely a good option but I assume he is looking to avoid extra data charges on his phone. 

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Use hotspot. Let your laptop wi fi to find your phone / network name  then click it to connect enter password , done. 

9 minutes ago, SSFB said:

That's definitely a good option but I assume he is looking to avoid extra data charges on his phone. 

Yep. Earlier in the season I was closer to the shore side of the dock but since I aint paying slip fees I got moved out to the end with the rest of the employees.

4 hours ago, SSFB said:

Hawking is good stuff RF wise.  :bc:

Neal

• Like 1