Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border breaks my heart

Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border breaks my heart

Last edited Mon Jun 18, 2018, 03:36 AM - Edit history (1)
Source: WA Post

On Sunday, a day we as a nation set aside to honor fathers and the bonds of family, I was among the millions of Americans who watched images of children who have been torn from their parents. In the six weeks between April 19 and May 31, the Department of Homeland Security has sent nearly 2,000 children to mass detention centers or foster care. More than 100 of these children are younger than 4 years old. The reason for these separations is a zero-tolerance policy for their parents, who are accused of illegally crossing our borders. 

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart. 

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history. We also know that this treatment inflicts trauma; interned Japanese have been two times as likely to suffer cardiovascular disease or die prematurely than those who were not interned. 

Americans pride ourselves on being a moral nation, on being the nation that sends humanitarian relief to places devastated by natural disasters or famine or war. We pride ourselves on believing that people should be seen for the content of their character, not the color of their skin. We pride ourselves on acceptance. If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents -- and to stop separating parents and children in the first place.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laura-bush-separating-children-from-their-parents-at-the-border-breaks-my-heart/2018/06/17/f2df517a-7287-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.5408297272e3 

Before she was First Lady, Laura Bush was a librarian who worked with kids. 

And there is no woman in the Republican party who has more stature than she does. 

Also, unlike some of the other R's who've spoken out, she is condemning the zero-tolerance policy without attempting to place any blame on Democrats, or claiming a false equivalence with previous administrations. 

Thank you, Laura.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well she needs to talk to the lines of Dopo and JT....they would straighten her out right quick! :lol:

Laura is a very good person.

I never realized how emotionally in depth you've become over this issue..  I'm  glad you care.. I don't.. I want the law followed and im not the only  one. That's why trump is here now. Voters have enough of this shit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Come here legally..end of story.

I don't understand what is so hard to follow. Its just like at school.. Kids don't like getting a F but that's the rules.. So now they do away with F's.. fucking snowflake pussies. Do better and youll get an A.

Follow the law and you will get here safely.

Edited by ATOMIC PUNK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ATOMIC PUNK said:

I don't understand what is so hard to follow. Its just like at school.. Kids don't like getting a F but that's the rules.. So now they do away with F's.. fucking snowflake pussies. Do better and youll get an A.

Follow the law and you will get here safely.

It takes decades to get citizenship. Of course desperate people are going to risk it. 

Hiding behind the law is a cowards game.

13 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It takes decades to get citizenship. Of course desperate people are going to risk it. 

Hiding behind the law is a cowards game.

stop with the high drama.. TFB if it takes time. So fucking impatient and in a rush like 3/4 of the country. I WANT IT NOW!!!!:baby:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well she needs to talk to the lines of Dopo and JT....they would straighten her out right quick! :lol:

Laura is a very good person.

Were you saying that when her husband was invading Iraq?  :lol:  My guess is no.  

I remember MC constantly posting about Laura killing someone in an accident and how she should have went to jail.  

Edited by Highmark

50 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Seeking asylum is legal.

If done according to our laws which states:

Seeking asylum means someone is asking for political protection from another country because they cannot return to their own country. An asylum-seeker must prove they faced persecution in their home country due to race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinions.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Were you saying that when her husband was invading Iraq?  :lol:  My guess is no.  

I remember MC constantly posting about Laura killing someone in an accident and how she should have went to jail.  

Now shes his hero.. LMAO

Just now, motonoggin said:

Wah. 

Wah?   I just think its hilarious that you think they deserve to kill you.  You know you could help them out.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

It's a metaphor. 

You can't bitch about abhorrent treatment of humans and then wish death upon them too. What are you a Christian?

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

What was she supposed to do...kill him in his sleep? 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

What was she supposed to do...kill him in his sleep? 

According to the left absolutely.  :lol: